The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Mini brag... and share your OTTB YAY!! stories!

Just had to post a little YAYYY!!! for today. My OTTB "Pie" went out and scored 71.88% and 68.5% on his dressage tests today, and won both of his jumping classes!!

We are only doing baby jumps and intro B+C tests, but he was just so foot perfect and I am such a proud mom!! He jumped out of the dressage arena at our last show, so this is a HUGE improvement!!

Here is a picture of him posing with his ribbons!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...50280719_n.jpg

Ok so there have to be more brag stories from this weekend!! I want to hear all about it and celebrate our fabulous OTTB babies!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

He's so cute! I love liver chestnuts -- I've always thought it was such a lovely colour.

Also, I'm so excited about this thread! Yesterday I was grinning like a fool for hours after my ride. My OTTB girl and I aren't competing yet (I say "my," but she belongs to my coach, I'm bringing her along), but yesterday was our lightbulb moment for forward, stretchy, round. It felt amazing! We've been inching towards contact, and she's been doing well, but yesterday it all just came together. Walk, trot, canter... they were all lovely! She was round, balanced, soft, and beautiful. I couldn't patting her, and stuffing her with treats when we were done.

OTTBS! Yay!

Oh, I just LOVE those moments!!! When they are good, they are just the BEST!!! I love that feeling... forward, stretchy, round... and today for the first time we were actually able to create it at a show.

I bet your girl was pleased with herself too! They are so smart. It seems like once they've got it, they just get it and keep getting better.
    Take us to print!

Yikes, how rude! I got way too excited bragging away about myself to say CONGRATS! on those scores! That is really, really fantastic!

And oh man, are those moments ever the best!

Aww thanks We have only broke 60 once before this, so I was definitely shocked/amazed/excited!! But for the first time, I actually RODE my test instead of just going on autopilot, and Pie paid attention to me instead of staring at everything outside the arena.

I was actually thinking : "Straight down long side. Corner ahead. Prepare right bend. etc"
    Instead of: " *&^*%&^%^%*!!!!!!!! DRESSAGE &%&%&&%!!!"

Take us to print!

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    " *&^*%&^%^%*!!!!!!!! DRESSAGE &%&%&&%!!!"
    This made me legit LOL.
    edit to add:
    Despite enjoying the UL scene in Aiken these past months, I am SO EXCITED to go home and work with my new OTTBs at BN!!
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

Congratulations leahandpie! BTW i love his name it makes me think of National Velvet! He is such a cutie pie!

My OTTB decided to be a total flake today and spent the first 20 min out of his pasture SCREAMING for his pasture mate while dancing around like he was in a square dancing contest -_-

Then we started lunging, and all was right with the world. I was so worried we'd end today's lesson on a bad note, but no! We ended on a wonderful note!

Go OTTB's!!!
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

Way to go! I love Big Bear, and Mr. Pie looks pretty proud of his accomplishments. So exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabon2004 View Post
    Congratulations leahandpie! BTW i love his name it makes me think of National Velvet! He is such a cutie pie!

My OTTB decided to be a total flake today and spent the first 20 min out of his pasture SCREAMING for his pasture mate while dancing around like he was in a square dancing contest -_-

Then we started lunging, and all was right with the world. I was so worried we'd end today's lesson on a bad note, but no! We ended on a wonderful note!

Go OTTB's!!!
    I definitely think you have to have a sense of humor for TB moments like this

Mr. Pie is actually mostly Mr. Cool and Collected, but he will melt down to a nervous trotting sewing machine if I don't give him something to focus on in the midst of the new/scary situation. The minute I ask him to do something, he says "OK, I can do that". It seems so obvious, but I finally really understood that about him this weekend!

Zoomd- you have that really cute chestnut right??? What a nice horse

And I lloooveee Big Bear! So low key & fun!!
    Take us to print!

MY OTTB is really growing up. We did Full Gallop this past weekend. Dressage day he traveled over alone, stood by the trailer like an old cow horse with his eyes shut, warmed up like a champ. One instant of spook then right back to work. A respectable test, very obedient, a tiny bit looky but nothing compared to days past . Sunday, he traveled with friends and didn't mind when they left him all alone. He jumped the terrifying, colorful, butterfly-filled show jump course like an old pro. If only I could ride better. Well, I AM riding better, but he was really good. On XC he was a star. Less than 1/2 as wiggly and dodgy as in the past, jumped every jump and made the time. He is such a good boy, better and better each time I get on his back. Can't ask for more, eh?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Love my OTTB. Got him in September. Went xc for the first time January 15. Has done one BN and one Novice HT since (then bruised his foot and had a couple weeks off). This weekend, won the 2'11" SJ at the RH schooling show after 4 days back in work post-bruise. I have no eye to a jump distance. Thankfully, his is brilliant, despite being fairly green.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

RB- that is awesome. He sounds like an awesome boy!
    I feel the same way... if only I could ride better! But it is SO FUN to have a horse that makes you feel that way! I feel that his talent pushes me to work harder, because he responds so honestly to my riding. The better I am, the better can be!
    Take us to print!

scubed- Way to go! That is great!! I'm impressed. I'm still scared of Novice fences LOL!!
    Take us to print!

We bought our guy basically sight unseen - two text message photos about 18 months ago. He spent the first year here learning to be a horse and struggling with weight and ulcers, last summer was with a pro for four months getting started on his new career. Home in early November, has packed Mr. PM around the hunt field, and the dressage ring, my dressage trainer wants him to be a dressage horse, the pro wants him back, and Mr. PM's jumping coach laughs a lot when he schools him.

Bru made his Southern Pines debut over the weekend with Mr. PM's jumping coach - work was getting in the way for Mr. PM - and finished with one speed fault penalty to win one of the Open Novice divisions at SPHT I.

My OTTB mare is a redhead in bay clothing. Some days she's fabulous and surprising in how well she does things, other days she's terror.

Take for instance yesterday. She was fabulous to be clipped, decent in the first part of the flatwork and then went all Mare-Beast on me while practising the BN "B" test we have to do this weekend. But in the jumping after she was pretty great.

I'm with you guys, if only I could ride better we'd be unbeatable at HT's. Only done one with her so far. Dressage was a disaster. "Halt? what? I don't know what that means, are you speaking english woman? 20 meter circle? I don't think so, lets do crescent moons, some stars, and oooh four leaf clovers!"

SJ: Other than the moment she came over the jump near the end of the ring and encountered DUH DUH DUHN! empty folding chairs outside the arena, she was fabulous, even the big psuedo brick pillar jump standards didn't scare her. Cross country we had two small bobbles, but was great otherwise.

Someday we will come together with great riding, and great OTTB brain to be the pair I know we can be.

I got my guy just over a year ago after trail riding him once and being unable to sell him due to an old Osselet. I loved his brain and his weirdness and bought him from CANTER. I spent a year gaining his trust (did I mention he's weird??), hacking out, popping over logs, learning about life and obscure concepts like ground manners and not kicking people who touched his legs.
    He has ended up being the most amazing creature, and got me back to foxhunting, including hunt week in Aiken this year. I made the 'mistake' of having a dear friend jump school him for me, and she decided she had to have him for a little while.
    So he's in training for a few months learning to be an event horse, and even went to his first horse trial at Sporting Days last week. He was perfectly behaved, despite the horrid weather, and by the time the day was through he had figured this eventing thing all out. He's pretty special I think, and his jump doesn't suck!

Warming up:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairwea...in/photostream

Waiting to go in the jump ring:

Finishing his first showjump course:

Onto XC warmup

Staring at his momma standing next to the Beginner Novice Olympics house he had to jump four strides later:

Being awesome:

Finishing up in a tornado:

I love him. He's the perfect horse who is that rare mix of ridiculously quiet and sensible, and ridiculously talented. The weird I can deal with!

Fairweather, HE IS SO CUTE! I love how he jumps!!!!
    I really wish I had a photographer LOL.. This is exactly how Pie jumps too, "I BETTER MAKE SURE I GET ALL THE WAY OVER THAT THING DOWN THERE!"
    Take us to print!

Wow Fairweather, your guy has quite the jump
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Leahandpie, thanks, I have lots of chestnuts...5 to be exact. Pure coincidence. But yes, my canter baby is probably the one you think of from my post about him a while back.
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks! He's very, very cool!