The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is a reasonable lease fee?

I am a college student looking into leasing a nice horse for the summer season. I've never leased before-- all of my show horses have been purchased. That being said, I really don't have any idea what the "reasonable" going price is for a few month lease.

I'm looking for a nice, capable 3"6' horse to do the A/Os or Adequans, and potentially some of the lower level derbies. I would like something fancy enough to be competitive; good jump, nice hack (winner would obviously be ideal). Reasonably easy I've previously brought all my horses up from green-as-grass to show ring winners, and I kinda feel like I deserve a bit of a break? That sounds silly, I know; I don't necessarily want a "robot" that will haul my butt around the ring without me having to do anything (that's no fun!) but I do want something that knows whats expected in the show ring, and that I can depend on.

I know that the price of such a horse will be considerable. But I really just don't know what to expect, so I'm wondering what people think the going rate is for a horse like this for the summer months.

Its going to really really depend on the horse and your area. Generally lease fees are 1/3 purchase price, and a horse you're describing sounds like it could be upper five figures to low six figures.

Best guess? $2500-3000 a month.

You can't lease a horse and show in the Amateur/OWNERS... Kinda defeats the purpose

I've leased for just the summer as week and you're looking at around 10-12k.

Quote Originally Posted by roamingnome View Post
    You can't lease a horse and show in the Amateur/OWNERS... Kinda defeats the purpose

I've leased for just the summer as week and you're looking at around 10-12k.
    Oh DURR! See, i've never even had to think like a leaser before! But of course I knew that...

Thats kinda what I was thinking.

If it helps, I am on the East coast in Zone 2.

I think about $12K for the summer sounds about accurate, or $3000 per month for a horse of that level. More if you want a winner.

In the Northeast, to have a very competitive3'6 horse, you are looking at much more like $5000 a month. Many barns are hesitant to lease so short term, which makes the fee even higher.

One of my horses got hurt over the summer, so I leased a couple of nice jumpers from palm Beach. They ranged from 3000 to 3500 a month.