The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pricing a saddle when there are no comps

I have an Equipe Grand Prix saddle that unfortunately no longer fits my horse. I bought it new in 2010 and kept it in mint condition. However, the problem is that I can't figure out its value. There is not a single used Equipe for sale that I can find. I've checked all the populate web sites (highendusedsaddles, finefrenchsaddle, trumbull, ebay, etc, etc)...not one.

So how do I go about figuring out a fair price for it? Is there a "rule of thumb"?

I just sold an Equipe CC saddle. I bought it brand new in 2007. Never used it. Not once. It was never oiled. Still in cover in office in house. Sold it for $2200
    Took me over a year to sell it -

Try an "advanced search" on Ebay and check "completed listings only." You might find saddles like yours that have sold in the past.

You can probably figure most things lose 30-50% of their new price value when used (and more, when they are old and not mint condition). It's only two years old, so maybe discount 30% and see if you get a nibble?

I've seen two or three of those for sale on the used market, but they're definitely rare. The only comps I've seen lately from this brand, and none of them are Grand Prixs:

http://tacktrader.com/show_item.php?...2&share_this=Y

http://mysaddletrader.com/SaddleDeta...x?id=154&b=108

I'm pretty sure the Tacktrader ones managed to sell as they're no longer on the vendor's main web site at yoursaddles.com. Don't forget to check Ebay too, but be careful to distinguish saddles that actually sold from the asking prices that didn't fly with buyers.

If by "mint condition" you mean "literally has never been ridden in," you could probably sell it at demo price--around 10-15% off MSRP. If by "mint condition" you mean "broken in but has had exceptional care and storage so it looks very good, perhaps the way most other people's saddles look after 3 to 4 months of riding," then you're looking at maybe 25-30% off MSRP. If by "mint condition" you just mean "typical wear and tear for a 2-year-old saddle but has had good care during that period," then perhaps 35-40% off MSRP.

But there is also the question of *how* you get rid of it. Some saddles will go for more depending on where you consign them, how they're marketed, etc. For an Equipe, I'd try to send it to a vendor that moves a lot of Amerigo/Prestige tack and has a big clientele among the hunters. Fine Used Saddles if you can get her to take it (Equipe is not on her normal brand list), Cori McGraw of High End Used Saddles, possibly also Farmhouse Tack or M&M Tack Shop. I think it'll be a difficult saddle for you to move on the private market unless you offer a fire sale price or allow a trial.

JMHO as someone who watches the saddle market pretty closely.

Thanks for all the feedback. We'll see where it goes..