The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not a great start to the year. Barns burning

Not too long ago there was a barn fire at Old Friends, now the Blue Grass Stockyards in Lexington had burned. The fire had spread to several businesses and the latest count is 49 cattle have perished in the fire. If it had been any other day, there would of been thousands of cattle there. The smoke and smells could be seen/smelled in neighboring counties even as far as Frankfort.

Here's a link to lex18's fb page with all the reports and pictures of the fire. It still has many hot spots, but they had reopened the roads by it.

https://www.facebook.com/lex18/?fref=ts

It's just heartbreaking isn't it? We have had three major barn fires with losses of horses, pigs and other farm animals in huge numbers. I'm sure I'm not the only one peering suspiciously at every electrical cord in my barn.

Yes it is heartbreaking. They believe the fire is to blame on building a new roof. I've been to the stockyards a few times and it needed an overhaul and I'm sure when they rebuild more safety measures will be put in place. It's sad for everyone involved including the neighboring businesses.

Our local livestock exchange burned down about five or six years ago. It wasn't nearly the size of this one (!), but very luckily even though they had a couple hundred head of cattle in for a sale the following day, there happened to be a late horse show meeting at the neighboring feed store and several people ran into the barn to free as many cattle as we could.

The biggest thing that stuck with me was just how damn fast fire moves in a dry, well-ventilated building like a barn. When we went in, it was limited to about a 6' area at one end. Within minutes it had spread a good quarter of the way along the roof line, and even on the floor level we could feel the heat. They ended up losing less than 20 head out of about 250, because the pen gates were under the burning section, and a maze to get to. Again, 50 or so year old barn, wood, dust, hay, etc: the thing smoldered for a couple of days. Luckily a rainy day kept it from spreading. It was likely electrical, but I don't know if they ever released an exact cause.

Thankful no human live were lost in Lexington, and hope everyone who has lost their jobs and livelihoods can recover swiftly!
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

I've been seeing lots of news articles up here about barns burning down in Ontario (Canada). When looking at the map they are all in roughly the same geographic area. I couldn't help but wonder about an arsenist - but in reality - its probably more to do with them all being similar aged buildings whose electrical may be failing. The latest I heard was a barn that burnt down killing 85 cows.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    I've been seeing lots of news articles up here about barns burning down in Ontario (Canada). When looking at the map they are all in roughly the same geographic area. I couldn't help but wonder about an arsenist - but in reality - its probably more to do with them all being similar aged buildings whose electrical may be failing. The latest I heard was a barn that burnt down killing 85 cows.
    The Classy Lane barn fire that killed 43 Standardbred racehorses was about 1/2 hour from me. The barn was newer, so definitely not due to aged wiring. From what I've read, arson is not suspected in any of the fires in the Ontario area (I believe we are at 7 or 8 in the span of about 3-4 weeks ). The fire departments haven't determined cause of the fire in most I believe, but it's suspected they are from things like electrical heaters being left on, etc.

I also thought something suspicious must be happening just due to the sheer number of fires so close together, but then again, we have had such a mild winter to this point. The cold finally came, and of course that is when people start using those electrical heaters and other appliances indoors.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

What is it about the winter that seems to cause so many barns go light up? Is it the stored hay? Electrical? If it's electrical, is it the snow/water that's causing so many problems?

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    What is it about the winter that seems to cause so many barns go light up? Is it the stored hay? Electrical? If it's electrical, is it the snow/water that's causing so many problems?
    Heated water buckets, heaters in tack rooms, engine block heaters....

2 members found this post helpful.

Dust and cobweb accumulation around said heaters - not going through and checking the heater and cord that worked fine last year but that maybe got kinked up over the summer.

That fire at the stockyards was incredible, we were driving to Lex and could first see it north of Toyota, over 30 miles away. Power was out in large sections of town because they had to shut down the grid as well.
    I can't imagine trying to get the cattle out unless somebody just ran a front end loader right through all the partitions, and that would be terribly dangerous in itself.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post

The wiring in most barns is atrocious and certainly not up to human habitation standards. My husband is an electrical contractor and he cringes at the electrical in most barns.

2 members found this post helpful.

I know I've bought some LED lights, chargers and other electronics from Amazon that have overheated. I won't buy anything online now unless it's major brand and I'm 100% sure it's not a ripoff. I bought a cheap phone charger from Fred Meyers a while ago that audibly hummed when plugged in. I tossed it. Add old wiring or insufficient circuits and people getting stupid with extension cords and you have a recipe for disaster.

Plus some of those really old wood barns used to be painted with used motor oil every year. Even if the owners stopped doing that 30 years ago the oil is still in the wood.

I've seen multiple posts about goat barns and dairies burning down recently. There's always a couple, thanks to heat lamps, but it's been heavy this year, along with the horse barns.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer ~
    Website | Facebook | Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    There are a LOT of housed animals in this area.

The cold snap hit all of the area at once.

People are not smart about their electrical appliances. Even stupid things like battery chargers can burn a barn down. Almost happened where I work a few years before I started.

Even new wiring is not always safe from gnawing teeth.

People are not aware they can ask their insurance company to come out with a heat gun to check their electrical system for any balancing issues.

Insurance companies are not yet smart enough to be banging on the door of every farm customer to check their electrical systems for them.

So, while we do have some PETA nutjobs and other animal "rights" arseholes doing things like setting mink "free" because they really think that setting them free is somehow safer for them, I don't think even they are stupid enough to purposely burn barns down. Besides, they're stupid enough to have admitted it by now.

So, folks, don't leave anything plugged in if you can avoid it. Avoid bucket heaters inside barns. Call your insurance agent and ask if they have an inspector available to check you electrical system.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.