The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default xc jumps

Is it hard to make some xc jumps? Where I board it is dressage and jumpers but they have a few little jumps out in a field.. if we could make some simple ones they might let us put them out there.
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Not if you have the right tools!

My husband is a carpenter we have lots of tools but I need plans! And suggestions...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    My husband is a carpenter we have lots of tools but I need plans! And suggestions...
    The USEA has a number of articles on jump building posted - http://www.useventing.com/education/course

I attended an XC jump building clinic with Dan Starck here in Chicagoland years ago - Most fun I've had with power tools in a long time!
    Inese

Go to Amazon.com and search for "building jumps" there are some great books including xc jumps.

Back in 1997 USCTA (now USEA) put out a nice little book
    called The ABC's of Cross-Country Design and Construction.
    It had line drawings for 40-50 types of cross country fences
    at Novice, Training and Preliminary Levels (no BN at that
    time). Book is out-of-print but you could maybe get a copy
    on interlibrary loan through your local library. It is a fairly
    slim paperback, around 100 pages long.

Some of the information is out-of-date so you may want
    to talk to a knowledgeable coach before proceeding with
    construction of any designs that appeal to you.

I wish the USEA would put out a new edition of this work;
    I found it really helpful when we were designing our own
    schooling course. When I bought my copy it was only
    $10. I just checked on suggesting the purchase of a used
    copy and was dismayed to find that they are selling for
    over $200! and are rather rare.

Another way I have gotten ideas for new jumps to get my
    DH to build was to view the online course walks (EN often
    has them for one site). It is possible to get ideas from
    those and then copy the design at a suitable level for your
    own use.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

speaking of x- country jumps what can you do with a lot of various sizes and shaped PVC. i own a septic copmpany and am always bringing back pieces. I have all the corragated black plastic i want and have no problems with them. They first learn to jump these. I have lengths of 4", 2" 6" pvc pipe, any ideas. I also round concrte lids from tanks, but am a little hestitant to use them fro fear of messing legs up, even though I know, it takes them only one time to hit and then they don't hit again. Again, brainstorming ideas.
    Memebr of Charlie Horse Riding Club.

Default Field Jumps - adjustable height

I invented hardwear to make adjustable height xc jumps. I board at a farm that has many levels of riders/horses so it was important that all riders were confident and comfortable in the height of the jump. The jumps can be made easily and inexpensively (I made all the jumps in my field) and the height changed in moments - some days I am braver than other days so I get off and adjust the jump myself. My goal is simply to enable more people to enjoy xc jumping and grow the sport of eventing. It is woman rider invented and made in the USA!
    Check it out - it may work for you. www.fieldjumps.com

Daisey, My husband suggests the concrete lids would be
    useful as anchors under jumps. His comment was that a
    jump attached to one of those is not going anywhere no
    matter how hard the horse rubs the jump.

You could possibly also use them for revetting a bank
    jump but would need to top off with something like
    railroad ties or other large wood at the surface for
    horse safety.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Daisey-Bogie View Post
    speaking of x- country jumps what can you do with a lot of various sizes and shaped PVC. i own a septic copmpany and am always bringing back pieces. I have all the corragated black plastic i want and have no problems with them. They first learn to jump these. I have lengths of 4", 2" 6" pvc pipe, any ideas. I also round concrte lids from tanks, but am a little hestitant to use them fro fear of messing legs up, even though I know, it takes them only one time to hit and then they don't hit again. Again, brainstorming ideas.
    My dad has the same business, and the same random pieces of pipe LOL!!

My idea for the 4-6" pipes would be to build a coop-like jump. Have a pole set up, and lean the pieces of pipe against it. If you wanted to get kinda fancy, you could attach them to the pole, long-wise, and just keep gluing them together with the PVC glue (I know that stuff is like liquid concrete!) down and at an angle. I can see it in my head, lol.

And for the concrete lids, what about using them as jump ends? You could put planks between or on top of them, and make them long enough that the concrete wouldn't really be an issue. If it makes you feel better, the XC course I will be riding at has boulders incorporated in their jumps! Those DEFINITELY don't move!

Tires, logs, and coops are not too hard to build.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I have built several of our cross country jumps here. You will probably want to build the required three: a ditch, a bank and a water complex for a start.

Ditch: I was able to build a nice one in a weekend that has Novice, BN and Elementary efforts all in a line. Biggest expense was the 6x8 PT 12 footers I used for the ditch sides as they cost about $60 each and I used 12 of them. Compact tractor with a backhoe dug the ditch easily. Chainsaw did the cutting.

Bank: Got a deal on 4x12 16foot PT planks, so the bank sides are made of these. You use ss wire cable or chain inside for revetting to keep the planks from bowing out when you add back the fill. Again need to have a compact tractor to dig and refill your bank.

Water: Need some good sitework and a good levelling system as you are trying to create a sizeable area of flat ground that is a uniform depth. Think in 6 inches: 6 inches of water on top of 6 inches of stonedust/riding surface on top of 6 inches of clay to keep the water from seeping away. Also have to have a decent water supply as evaporation will dry up your water jump pretty quickly. Another tractor/excavator project.

After that there are several portable jump builders in the cross country jump business..Eric Bull(ETBJump in Va, Todd Richardson in Aiken and Pa(Coursecomponentsinc) that will build and ship very nice portables for your farm. Otherwise you can build the usual log jumps with some good sized logs and a post hole digger. Cindy's adjustable jump cups(I have these as well) work well for training multiple levels with one jump.