The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default eventing from the beginning?

My daughter is young has has always wanted to event. She takes lessons at our local barn and they do h/j... I do not like the pony club group near me and the next one is pretty far away. Also, she does not have her own pony yet. Can she learn to event without having her own horse and without pony club?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Are you interested in leasing? Also are there some event barns near you that you prefer that she can do some dressage and learn the basics at?

I personally love pc, but there are some groups in pc that I do not like to be associated with. Understand where you are coming from.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I found a barn about 50 minutes away and I am waiting to hear from them. It is so hard...

Belive me, I understand. It is a hard undertaking finding a good event coach when an area is lacking. I travel an hour and a half for lessons with my coach. I lesson twice a month and the other lessons I take are at a straight dressage barn. I board there as well. Try telling some of those women that you are going on gallop sets if they want to join lol.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

you need to move to port perry - we are a hotbed of eventing - eventing nation posted a link to our local paper - no less than 6 riders/horse teams currently on the Canadian lists are from our area.

Would be an interesting thought but I do not think I could sell my house.....!

Ivy, how old is your daughter? That would make a difference in what advice I would give you.

My daughter started out Saddle Seat (I had come from H/J land, but the Saddle Seat barn was the only place who would give lessons to 4 year olds. She had the horse bug BAD). I subscribed to Young Rider magazine for her and darn it, she found out horses can jump things, big things, scary solid things. She was determined to get into eventing from about the age of 7.

I know it's hard to find not just a trainer, but a trainer that will be right for the kid too. Some people just don't work well with kids, and some work better with kids than adults. 50 minutes isn't that bad, really. That's what we drive too. It will be harder to find a place for her to actually event without her own horse, but not impossible!

I wouldn't rule out Pony Club based on one club. However, you don't really 'learn to event' in Pony Club. There will be mounted meetings but they aren't expected to be your sole source of riding instruction. My daughter is in PC and likes it a lot, it's not just about riding. Many of the members of her club are horse-less and still participate as much as the ones with horses (thanks to a wonderful DC!) I think it's been a valuable experience for her overall.

My daughter is 10 and still very much a novice rider. She does not get a ton of saddle time. We recently lost our schoolmaster who age could get extra time and now is back to riding once a week.....I know it will take her a long time but we are working on getting her more lessons......

I think she will have a hard time unless she can at least part-lease/ ride 3-4 times a week-- she really needs to be able to ride the horse in lessons, hack out, and practice the dressage on her own-- preferably all on the same horse.

Another possibility might be letting her continue with weekly lessons during the school year, and looking for a sleepaway summer camp she can go to for a month or so, that is geared toward eventing.

I was just going to recommend the same thing, Highflyer! Since she is young and doesn't get a lot of riding in during the week.

My daughter's first event was preceded by a one week (7 day) eventing camp. I think she was 11 at the time. She did have her own pony, which she took with her, but other riders were assigned a school pony/horse. In fact, she was the only one that had her own pony. Anyway, the camp was awesome for building confidence, they went over the rules, dressage tests, and of course jumping both stadium and xc. The climax of the week was traveling to an actual event and competing. I say "actual event" but it was a schooling event that went down to itty bitty jumps, my daughter was in the lowest division where they only jumped 18". She ended up winning her division too!

Ivy, Do you have a place to keep a pony, if someone had a free lease for you?

it is not about the place, it is the cost. I have a pasture puff and we just lost our schoolmaster...So we are seeking another horse. The board is expensive so that does not help....Wish I could afford another one... Where is the pony located just in case?
    Now we need the names of good camps in the northeast?
    Thanks

You might want to post another thread with the camp question and explain what you're looking for. Good luck!!!