The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walkers/Fox Trotters

For those who know these breeds - what are the differences/qualities?

It's ehow, lol, but the info seems solid. I have MFT and have ridden TWH. I much prefer the MFT but I highly enjoyed the TWH I leased back in the day.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8530550_dif...n-twh-mft.html

TWH Gaits

The Tennessee walking horse performs the canter, flat foot walk and running walk. The running walk is a natural, inherited gait exclusive to this breed. Variations of the running walk include the rack, single foot walk and stepping pace, all of which make smooth, undemanding trail riding gaits. The TWH can flat foot walk at four to seven miles per hour. It has the ability to perform the running walk, which is a four-beat lateral gait at eight to ten miles per hour.

TWH Description

The temperament of a Tennessee walking horse is calm, docile and social. It has a willingness to please its owners, has a big heart and is often referred to as the "gentlemen of horses." The TWH can adapt well to cutting, reining, jumping and driving. It is highly successful in competing in English and western sporting events, and loves to perform. Tennessee walking horses are excellent prospects for new and experienced riders, senior citizens, and those who have fairly significant back problems. It is often used in riding programs for the handicapped.

MFT Gaits

The MFT has three natural gaits, which include a flat foot walk, a free flowing canter and the smooth fox trot, characteristic of its namesake. Although not a high stepping horse, the Missouri fox trotter is a remarkably surefooted one. Because of its exceptionally smooth diagonal gait, riding this breed is more comfortable. The MFT has the ability to sustain its smooth gait for longer periods of time than other gaited breeds. The Missouri fox trotter is recognized for its grace. It performs a consistent gait, while carrying a relaxed, yet poised elevation of its tail and head, while gently nodding its head as it moves forward.

MFT Description

The temperament of the Missouri fox trotter is quiet, gentle and confident, with a willing attitude. The MFT displays outstanding skill in pleasure and endurance riding. Because of their surefootedness and ability to maintain a smooth gait for long periods of time, they are often used for extensive trail riding in mountainous territory, and by ranchers because of their intelligence, adaptability and tremendous versatility. It successfully competes in the show ring for gaited events and rodeo. The MFT is suitable for children, beginners and experienced riders.

Read more: The Difference Between TWH & MFT | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8530550_dif...#ixzz1oj6A2snz
    K-N-S Farm
    Daily Goat Videos & Pictures
    Website | Facebook | Youtube

Thanks -

I hasten to add, in case my horse is reading this, that I have two nice horses and am not thinking of replacing them any time soon.

Eventually, though, I may need a smaller, more comfortable, quiet horse ...
    when I find the 17 handers too hard to get off.

Is the MFT larger than the TWH? Sounds like the MFT would be more of the trail horse for me. I don't think I have seen one up here.

I know in New Orleans, the carriage horses are mules bred from TWH's because they handle the heat better than horses.

What is the difference between foxtrot and running walk? Ive seen TWH (being in KY you cant avoid em) but never sa w a MFT.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

The MFT tends to be smaller than the TWH. I have a MFT and I have ridden countless others and, to be honest, I don't like most of them. They are a good size for trail riding but they tend to be a little hotter than the TWH and they seem to go lame more frequently. That's at least my experience with them. I won't have another one.

The rocky mountain horses are a nice smaller trailhorse type. If you can get unconfused by the umpty nine "real" registries and the whole chocolate dapple flaxen mane and tail thing they aren't a bad horse and have a nice comfy gait. If you go look try to find one that's not one of the popular colors, unless you are dying for that color. It'll be cheaper and just as good.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Spanish Mustangs are smaller and sometimes gaited also and they are phenomenal trail horses. They also can often be competitive in endurance. I actually have a gaited reg. SM gelding now on my farm. He's a lovely ride.

I trim and work with both breeds you asked about. I'd say the walkers tend to be more narrow/tall and the foxtrotters more solid and chunky built. The foxtrotters I trim are mid 15 hand range..not "small" for trail horses but more midsized. Both breeds tend to be quiet and easy going and have typically got good feet.

My MFT are indeed on the smaller side, but they are not "hot" in any sense of the word at all. None of the ones I have handled have been. And all of them had excellent feet.

But of course, I imagine that good breeding plays into that as well, like with ALL horse breeds.

Hopefully you can find some good videos illustrating the foxtrot vs the running walk, but the BEST thing you can do is go out and find a TWH to ride and a MFT to ride...and then go ride a Paso Fino, or a Peruvian Paso, and Kentucky Mountain Horse, heck even an Icelandic if you like!

Everyone has their own preferences to which gait they like, and some don't like them at all.
    K-N-S Farm

Over the past 15 years we've had owned around 15 gaited horses, TWH's, Fox Trotters, Spotted Saddle horses and Peruvian Paso's!

We currently have a Fox Trotter and a Peruvian Paso.

We use our horses strictly for trail riding.

We've found the Fox Trotters tend to be more naturally gaited. I love the natural TWH's BUT none of the TWH we have owned would gait without a LOT of work, and believe me, we've owned several. You had to "ride" them, like you do a Dressage horse. To get anything but a pace out of most TWH's, they have to be well between your hand and your leg, light in the front with their weight back on their hindquarters.

That's why you see so many people riding even the flat shod, TWH pleasure/trail horses in long shanked bits!

I don't know about you, but when I trail ride I want to sit back, relax, hold the reins in one hand and not have to 'work'!

We've never ridden a Fox Trotter that didn't have a smooth gait of some kind. We've met a couple of 'hot' Fox Trotters but the majority have been very level headed with great personalities.

We also love the Peruvian Pasos, that is what I ride now and she is SMOOTH, has a cute little lope and is a really lovey, dovey horse which I want.

My husband loves his Fox Trotter and wouldn't part with her!

We've also ridden and spent time with Rocky Mountain Horses (a good friend breeds/trains/ them). The ones we've met were NOT people friendly and honestly I didn't think they gaited worth a darn!

I would recommend a Fox Trotter to anyone wanting a good gaited horse that is easy to ride, gaits without gimmicks and is the type of horse that will bond with you.

I think the TWH are friendly and loving, my issue with them is the lack of consistency in their gaits. Most end up pacing unless you really work with them.

The Peruvian's are great horses, some are fiery but mine is not, you can find them from one end of the temperament spectrum to the other. They all seem to have wonderful, natural gaits and they love people.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Again, thanks for the input. It would be pretty hard to find one to ride up here to test the difference, though TWH's are more common.

Q: Do they canter well enough. I just trail ride, but I do like to have a smart moving horse that can get there, canter and even jump logs. (ex field hunter and eventer with only a somewhat decreased need for speed!)

They have a lovely canter. One of my mares I would canter all day long if I could, it is wonderful.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Yes, the Fox Trotters have great canters, as do the Peruvian's. My husband LOVES to go 'fast' and he lopes his Fox Trotter all over the place! And she'll jump things for him.

Spotted Saddle Horses are also a great breed, we had a SSH that was a wonderful jumper and really enjoyed it. They have a nice little gait and canter as well.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

I forgot to mention that I LOVE Rocky Mountain horses. I have never ridden a bad one. I think they gait just fine. All of the Foxtrotters I have ridden came from Missouri and I have a feeling they may have been show ring rejects, which may be why they are bred hot.

My favorite trail horse of all time was a Foxtrotter/Standardbred cross. He was very levelheaded, friendly, would go whenever you asked and sound. However, he was on the big side for a ladies' trail horse.

Perhaps there is something in my name??

I do wonder if they would be too small for me as I am 5'10"...well, I was once.

I do know, though, tht the day will come when I need to step down a bit from my 17 hh things - and the fact the MFT's have a lovely canter and will jump is all good for me.

Mainly, am just interested in them and the differences between them and TWH's.

To be honest...my mare canters like a drunken camel. LOL

But it's not a breed thing, the others I rode had lovely smooth canters.
    K-N-S Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    The rocky mountain horses are a nice smaller trailhorse type. If you can get unconfused by the umpty nine "real" registries and the whole chocolate dapple flaxen mane and tail thing they aren't a bad horse and have a nice comfy gait. If you go look try to find one that's not one of the popular colors, unless you are dying for that color. It'll be cheaper and just as good.
    can you describe their gaits? i have a kentucky mountain saddle horse who i'm told is a buckskin version of the rocky mountain horse.
    i don't know if that's accurate. do you?
    i'm just starting to ride her and am dying to learn more about her unique movement.

If you are interested in gaited horses you need to ride some. I've only ever ridden a MFT. I have ridden a few. A few I have hated and wouldn't get back on because their gait was horrible and hurt my back and there are others that I would have stolen if I could have because they were so smooth you could have carried a full glass of water and not spilled a drop. One of mine is pacey, the other gaits nicely but she is hot, and really only gives you a great gait when she is mad that you won't let her go.

MFT's are great horses. They can do it all if you want them to, they are very versatile.

BUt I would suggest riding as many gaited horses as you can before making your decision.

Around 12 mins they start talking about gait for MFT's
    http://video.optv.org/video/1391301704/
    They talk again about gait around 18 mins.

We have had both, right now a MFT that will be here until the day he dies.

I like to think of the differnce in gait is that a TWH walks in the back and trots in the front. The MFT walks in the front and trots in the back. They are a little bouncy in the back but not rough at all.

I like the build of most MFTs better, a bit wider and more like a stock horse. Not a problem getting a saddle that fits well.

Ours has a fantastic canter, super floaty and just fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    What is the difference between foxtrot and running walk? Ive seen TWH (being in KY you cant avoid em) but never sa w a MFT.
    It's a matter of footfall and suspension. In rough terms, in a fox trot, the front feet "walk" and the hind feet "trot". The suspension is in the rear. In a running walk, the front feet "trot" and the hind feet "walk". The suspension is in the front.

If I were looking for a small gaited horse, I would be looking for a Paso Fino, natural gaited Morgan (yes there is such a thing), Icelandic or Rocky Mountain horse in that order. I've never ridden an Icelandic or Rocky Mtn horse. My experience with Pasos and Morgans is that they are very "cushy". Heck, the Morgans are even nice and cushy when they trot.
    ::If I was wrong don't you think I would know it?::