The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HT ride time scheduling - WTH ???

Is the scheduling at Full Gallop normally like this ? Is this even safe ?

WTF ??????????

Pretty standard here in Area 2. I love it. Get in, get out, go home. 10 or 12 minutes is a little quick, but I certainly have gone straight from show jumping to xc, and gone right out. No waiting. LOVE it. Not always so great when it is a bazillion degrees out, but, then again, I try not to compete when it's a bazillion degrees out.

Me either - po doesn't compete from July onwards since she stopped sweating one year.

First show of the year, she's relatively unfit (though we try hour best, honest, it's just not easy with a more-than-full-time job over the winter!!) ... I'm scared I"m going to break the little munchkin trying to do this.

Actually I can see it being a huge benefit for locals ... not quite so much fun with a super-tired pony and a 7 hour haul ahead.

What level are you going?

Honestly, I think this is easier on them then dragging it out ALL DAY. I don't know how the Full Gallop lay out is (only ever been there when there wasn't a competition), but if there is a decent walk to xc, she'll be fine. You'll probably have more time than is listed there, too. You won't need to warm her up again. At most, if they are there and stadium went fine, I might pop over a xc warm up fence just to say "OK. Now we're jumping the solid ones."

Seriously. If she's lacking in fitness, this is probably better. You'll only have to warm her up to jump once, instead of twice. And she won't be in "show" mode, which is tiring, all day. She'll be fine.

I HATE it. But, yes, it is pretty common in Area II.
    If your horse isn't fit enough, just go more slowly and accept the time penalties.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Just realized dressage was on Saturday, jumping Sunday. You'll be FINE.

Actually it works really well. You SJ in your CC gear. Finish SJ, walk over to CC warm up area (during walk you can catch your breath ;-)), which is very close, gallop a fence or three and then head to start box. Done in another 5-6 minutes.

Ok.... I am going to believe you .... uuuuuurghhhhhhh..... eponaCG says I'll be fine too, so I'll be fine. I will be fine. I will be fine.....

I can always pull her up before the end if she's suffering.

She's So Floofy right now, poor mite ... she might boil over...

Clip her real quick, a little trace never hurt anyone!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I actually really like going straight from show jumping to XC at low levels. I don't even need to warm up for XC b/c pony loves to jump, I just walk straight to start box and go. I don't know what level you are but a T and below, it actually works pretty well.

I love the single warm-up, the single tack-up, single sponge off, etc. Esp if you have multiple horses, the logistics are so much easier. Generally they are a bit flexible about xc times (under this system in A2 anyway--I don't know anything about Pine Top specifically). Some people race over to xc from stadium, others take a few to cool down and collect.

You'll be fine! I did it earlier this year with a 20yo who'd been off for four years and had only been back in training since the late fall...and still pretty furry ( had only a minimal trace clip b/c he lives out 24/7). He was just fine
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I love it. I've had events where from the start of my Dressage time to finishing my xc was less than 1.5 hours. It was great. Only negative is when I was coming from a distance (couple hours), had an 8am dressage start time...and had to walk my courses before dressage---just made for an early start and me running my xc course!.

You warmed up for dressage, did your test. Came back to the trailer. Untacked, gave a few minutes to chill and drink. Tacked up for xc and went to show jump in your xc gear. Didn't warm up too much as we had done dressage not too long ago, jump a few warm up fences, do your course, walk over to xc....no need to warm up...and do xc. Horses do not seem tired....and you are done and home by lunch!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I do like that about area two. I did the full gallop events and they went by super quick. Loved it. Easy, simple, can do. Like others have said before just go to sj in xc gear and then head out on course.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Yes, very normal! I actually really like it! Plus I can wear my vest doing Stadium - hahaha :-)

And if you have the warm-up-averse horse? You use show jumping to warm up for XC.

You just can't plan to have a lot of equipment changes between SJ & XC.

Well... it was a hoot ! I pulled her up on XC, but I have to say it was by far the most funnest event I've been to so far on my (not very extensive) career, and the XC course definitely went some way towards achieving my 'goals' of being able to jump a bunch of fun stuff without the heights going extreme. I particularly loved fence 4 & 5 on the Novice - a cabin with a bit of a downhill to a Trakhener !! Po said "WTF, mom, there's a Big Hole" so we stopped and looked and then pony-clubbed her over it shouting "it's Just a Big Log" Then 7 was fantastic - another cabin with a more serious downhill this time, but of course, we'd been set up perfectly for it by 4, and the TD had repositioned it overnight to avoid some dubious footing, so we were able to do that one super-confidently. Down a huge bank, grinning, through the water and on to the world's biggest table in the woods, which she flew.

I hope the jump judges weren't too alarmed to see us emerge from the woods walking up the hill, but we were basically done after the big table. At 13hh, these are big efforts for her, and she's neither clipped nor fit. So we walked up the hill, popped over a little uphill jump and stopped at the next big table at 14.

I absolutely loved the venue, and the atmosphere. The jump course was super-fun, Po and I did it really badly, for unknown reasons, she was spooky and looky at everything and I had to ride, which is new ... and also Po's bucking in dressage is novel. Hey ho, never a dull moment ! I loved the stabling, it was like being at a friendly little pony-club camp.

I have an ever so slight little complaint though. In the nicest possible way ... there was a problem with the timing for Prelim, which meant that all the scoring people were involved with sorting that out. That has to be such a nightmare when you're running a show and people are waiting for results, and it's taking a while to sort out - I can only imagine the stress. I totally sympathise. But we had a 6 hour drive back. Our class finished at 2. We waited 4 hours for the results because one of our younger riders was in for a ribbon, but had a slightly debatable dither at one of the drops. So we waited. We probably wouldn't have waited if we'd have known the results wouldn't be out until 7 1/2 hours after the class ended. It would have been nice to have been informed. The office door remained resolutely shut. We ran out of options.

Finally, we gave up and our young rider managed to gain entry to the office, which she didn't want to do - but she'd waited for ages at the window, being ignored. She asked ever so politely if she could pay postage and have her ribbon sent to her . ... the answer "oh, good idea, let me get some envelopes" would have gone a long way. Instead she was told "Oh no, we have never done that". That was a pity. This is a college kid spending very hard earned hundreds of $$$s to attend. Just get an envelope for her, and put the darn ribbon in it.

Apart from that it was the Perfect super-fun weekend ! (But we could have done with some breathing time between stadium and XC)

We were the jump judges at the top of the hill (N11). Thanks for telling the starter that you planned to retire on course. We were surprised that you make it that far - congratulations and thanks again for enjoying the show (for the most part).

Me too ! I wasn't really expecting to get over the first tbh, as spooky as she was in stadium ! She's never like that. Our XC was considerably better than I was expecting at the outset. I made a mistake with her earlier last month out schooling XC. She felt like she could jump the moon, so I kept jumping stuff, until I got a stop, and then tried to fix it. I lost a lot of her confidence doing that, so we're in the process of rebuilding it.

Thanks for bearing with me .... I should probably have pulled up at the woods, but your jump, N11 on the hill was just too appealing

Full Gallop's office staff do NOT have good "company manners".

And yes, I have filled out evaluations signing my name AND spoken to the owner about just this problem.

I took a client there last fall, and they are emphatic that their money will never be spent at that facility again. Shame, because I love Full Gallop and I just overlook the bad manners.