The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do when there is no registry inspections near you?

I wanted to have my mare and foal inspected by RPSI, last year they were a 20 minute drive from my house, this year they aren't planning any inspections in FL as of right now, looked at wesphalian website again no where close. My mare sucks at trailering and its stressful for a foal to be in a trailer for long time so I don't want to drive for hours. So what can I do? Are there any options for me, besided pay the astronomical fee to have them come to my place to inpect only my mare and foal, would run me close to 800 for the westpahlian registry, and that just hurts! Any advice would be greatly helpful.

I don't think there are a lot of options. You either go to them, or they come to you. You could explore registries that don't require inspections to register the foal, but the mare would have to be inspected, so it might not gain you much.

I know how you feel; last year I had to drive 12 hours to the nearest mare inspection (Missouri to Texas).
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

How far do people regularly drive to get to an inspection? Is 3.5 hours normal? Would that be advisable to do in one day with a mare and foal?

OHBS/GOV usually has an inspection in the Ocala area, and also sometimes in Orlando. I believe ISR/ONA also goes to the Ocala/Gainesville area.

DownYonder, thank you so much! I don't know why but I never looked at old/na. DUHH moment! Ocala is only an 1 and a half and is actually where I picked up my mare from so that is very doable. Are they harsh about inspections? My mare is a great mover in my opinion but she has a nasty looking knee from where they blew it out running her on the track, but suprisingly she isnt lame, well she is a little off now but she's 9 1/2 months pregnant and huge! So she walks a little slower these days, as would I! I read on there that if you havent done an inspection you should hire a handler, is that right? Thanks so much

I know that for me...I've picked registries that have inspections close to me. I'm not going to stress a mare an foal by driving more than 2 hours just for an inspection.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Well, it is nice if you have inspections close enough to make a 2 hr rule, but some of us don't have that luxury I use various registries, and the closest inspections are 2 hours away, but usually more like 4 hours and more. Honestly, I've never had a mare and foal have a problem, and we are often hauling in brutally hot weather. We just choose our hauling times carefully and make them as comfortable as possible. Personally I think so many adult horses are poor travelers b/c they aren't exposed to traveling much as a youngster. I think sometimes we think horses are a bit more fragile than they acutally are...
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Well, it is nice if you have inspections close enough to make a 2 hr rule, but some of us don't have that luxury I use various registries, and the closest inspections are 2 hours away, but usually more like 4 hours and more. Honestly, I've never had a mare and foal have a problem, and we are often hauling in brutally hot weather. We just choose our hauling times carefully and make them as comfortable as possible. Personally I think so many adult horses are poor travelers b/c they aren't exposed to traveling much as a youngster. I think sometimes we think horses are a bit more fragile than they acutally are...

I have that rule because of the area I live in. There is no reason for me to haul longer than 1 hour to get to inspections for most major registries.....so if I have to do more....it just isn't worth it. For example, I wouldn't mind getting my TB mare approved ATA since I've bred to a Trak. stallion and expect to do so again.....but there is no inspection near me so I will not. There are AHS, KWPN, ISR/Old., Gov, and RSPI as well as others less than 2 hours.

But if you are in a more remote location....you do what you have too. For me it is just not worth it. Same with competing. Others may have to travel significant distances to get to rated/recognized shows. I don't. So for lower levels....I'm not going to bother with the risks, expense and time to travel long distances. My horses do lots of short trips and that is what makes them good travelers by the time we start doing longer trips.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I was just heartbroken for one of our clients this past summer at our GOV inspection, she shipped her STUNNING Sandro's Heir filly 4-5 hours http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater ... and she came off the trailer sore. Sarah and Bastian raved about her quality but could not award her Premium status because at the trot she showed slight irregularity behind. She was not in any pain but was very leggy and had done some sort of monkey move on her trip down... it was a bummer.

Could you split the fee with other owners in your area?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by dressagedevon View Post
    DownYonder, thank you so much! I don't know why but I never looked at old/na. DUHH moment! Ocala is only an 1 and a half and is actually where I picked up my mare from so that is very doable. Are they harsh about inspections? My mare is a great mover in my opinion but she has a nasty looking knee from where they blew it out running her on the track, but suprisingly she isnt lame, well she is a little off now but she's 9 1/2 months pregnant and huge! So she walks a little slower these days, as would I! I read on there that if you havent done an inspection you should hire a handler, is that right? Thanks so much
    You could always get a note from your vet regarding the mare's knee -- but the inspectors know that a good deal of broodmares have their profession due to some kind of injury.

I think you should be fine taking her to the Old NA inspection, assuming the stallion is also approved with them and I am assuming your mare is a registered TB by your post.

Dean Graham does a great job handling at the N Florida inspections http://avalonstables.net/
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Yes mare is jockey club registered and I breed to freestyle who is approved by just about every registry, can't wait for baby to get here! Thanks also for dean's info for handler, he was on my short list for breaking baby once that time came so that would work out great! I've had three vets look at her knee and all can't believe she can even walk much less trot and hall butt like in her old racing days around the pasture, she use to beat all my other geldings and they were also ottb's! She's soo athletic I wished I had found her and gotten her before her knee blew out! But oh well, she's a great mom and all her previous babies are for sale for large sums. Everyone that sees her compliments me on her, she just has that presents about her that draws you in, I can stare at her in the pasture for ever! But I am bias!

Quote Originally Posted by dressagedevon View Post
    Yes mare is jockey club registered and I breed to freestyle who is approved by just about every registry, can't wait for baby to get here! Thanks also for dean's info for handler, he was on my short list for breaking baby once that time came so that would work out great! I've had three vets look at her knee and all can't believe she can even walk much less trot and hall butt like in her old racing days around the pasture, she use to beat all my other geldings and they were also ottb's! She's soo athletic I wished I had found her and gotten her before her knee blew out! But oh well, she's a great mom and all her previous babies are for sale for large sums. Everyone that sees her compliments me on her, she just has that presents about her that draws you in, I can stare at her in the pasture for ever! But I am bias!
    Personally, then, I would take her and the foal to the OLD NA inspection in Ocala. Just get your vet to write out a little note on her knee on his/her letterhead, and if you have her racerecord bring a copy of it also. Those two things will more than show that the issue is not genetic. Plus you will also have a beautiful foal to show her production

Dean does a great job breaking out as well. We break out most of ours but I have sent two of the more difficult ones to him and he did a great job on them. The first mare he broke for me is now being ridden by my 15 year daughter.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Have you spoken with RPSI? They typically have one of the larger tours and I can't imagine that they aren't coming to FL. Some years the schedule doesn't get finalized until June as the tour doesn't usually start the end of July/beg of Aug.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I did email the rpsi and they said they didn't have enough interest in the area to hold one, of course in the next couple of months it could change but I wanted to start planning ahead.

Sfstable, thank you for all that info! I have her race records and my vet would be happy to write out a letter for her injuries.

Love the knowledge of cloth because those are things I never would have thought of!

Another quick registry question, what exactly do they mean here?

Annual fee for mares that are already in a mare book
    $

(must be paid for the year of foaling and the year of birth) if paid after April 1st

$

What is the difference between the year of foaling and the year of birth, isn't that the same thing, foaling and birth?

My guess is they meant year of foaling and year of conception.

Kind of an aside from the conversation...

I'm expecting a late April foal that will only be eligible for AWR approval. I was just looking this morning and the closest inspection to me is in So Pines, NC (I'm in Alabama). That will be probably a 6 hr or so haul. It won't be until Fall, so the foal will probably be 4-6mo old at inspection (they haven't finalized the dates yet). If he has travelled lightly before, gets there a day or two ahead to work out the stiffness, and travel times are carefully planned, is this a major no-no??? I would think that with proper precautions it would be fine.

Consider using an Irish Draught stallion or an Irish Draught Sport Horses stallion approved with the IDHSNA or Canada. We do not require that the mares be approved. The offspring must be by an approved stallion...either RID or RIDSH. The foal would then have papers as an Irish Draught Sport Horse with the Irish Draught Horse Society of North America. If the owner of the foal desires they can take their IDSH for inspection. The only reason this would be necessary is if they wished to breed the IDSH and enter the offspring into the IDHSNA. You could always enter any foal by an approved Irish stallion even if the mare is not inspected but if you wanted to breed a 1/2 ID for example to produce a 1/4 Irish Draught to make an eventer for example then by getting the IDSH approved their foal would be registerable even if bred to a TB or warmblood. There is a Book II RPSI stallion(Book II because they don't allow Irish Draught stallions into Book I not because he was insufficient quality) KEC Double Diamond RID http://www.adsagsona.com/images/Dres...in08/index.htm
    another RID stallion long listed in Canada
    http://www.pairadoxfarm.com/page/page/2683048.htm
    another RID showing 3rd this winter in Florida http://www.kinsalefarms.com/ourstallion.html
    PatO