The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink June Rubicon and other event questions

I understand the June Rubicon horse trial is cancelled. Curious as to why? Anyone?

Also, what is everyone doing this spring with the numerous April events? I can't figure what is going to work to lead into the May events....(Area 2). What are you doing and what looks logical.....anyone?

And one more event question....how much is it costing now for the bridges into Maryland? I am beginning to think the entry fee is about the cheapest part of it anymore!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

What a total bummer!!! I LOVE that horse trial.
    Do you mean bridges from PA to MD?

Wow, between this and going to Badminton, I'm going to have a heck of a time planning an early season...I know, this is not a valid reason to complain, but when has that stopped any of us
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Why is Rubicon canceled? This is horrible!

A friend told me that the bridge over the Susquehanna on 95 was $23 with a trailer. I don't ever go that way-- always up Rte 1 and cut over-- but, if it's true it's horrifying.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do, too. I wish either Plantation or Fair Hill was 1 day! I'm thinking Plantation and then MCTA, but I'm undecided whether to start at T or P, too.

WHAT?! Rubicon?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, I guess I should think about entering some events. April, I think I am doing CDCTA and Loudoun...I think. Haven't the foggiest, actually. Feel very out it....guess I should renew my memberships, too.....so much to do, so much to do......

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    And one more event question....how much is it costing now for the bridges into Maryland? I am beginning to think the entry fee is about the cheapest part of it anymore!

Like Highflyer said--I just avoid the one on I-95......I can come up Rt 1 across the dam instead. The cost at that toll booth is over $25 now with a trailer...and the alternative route doesn't add much time to my trip.

Been too busy with work and now sick to ride much....so early competing is out the window for me anyway!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Oh I'm sorry to hear Rubicon has been canceled. I've been away from eventing for 5 years, and that event is the one I was most looking forward to competing at again.

I'm planning to compete at Morven, Loudoun and CDCTA. There isn't much locally to me the last 3 weekends in May, so will plan for Waredaca. This all depends on my mare's cooperation of course.

Default Minor meltdown here

This is serious!! Rubicon is the best HT ever. Does anyone know why?

I know it was tough getting volunteers last spring (I did and so did DH), is it something like that? If so, let's fix this people, I want my Rubicon!!!
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Don't fret too much, y'all! While it's terrible they won't have their June event, Rubicon isn't gone completely; they'll still run their fall event... I think it was just at the organizers' discretion- running a HT is a tiring and thankless task (as many people know) and hard on everything, especially the pocketbook and the land.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Default Cry...

Oh, God, MAJOR bummer. I'm with yb in my dismay

Unlike many of you, I'm not competing, but this would be the PERFECT place for my students who are new to the sport, and looking to move up to BN at a well-run, inviting HT--held at a wonderful venue (and close!) Ugh.

I am guessing that Sheryl and Eric are just a bit overwhelmed by "all things Horse Trial"? (I know that Sheryl has been helping out at Morven lately.)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Bummer, Rubicon was always a good event. I'm already in MD, but the tolls just to get around here can be rough -- as everyone said the susquehanna on 95 was 24 for my small trailer. Outrageous! I've heard they also upped the Bay Bridge, not sure about the tunnel or Key Bridge though. As far as scheduling, here's my hopeful plan april-may.

for the big horse:
    Morven Mar 24
    Fairhill Apr 20-22 (hate that it's over 3 days... definitely going around the toll those days!)
    MCTA May 5-6
    Fairhill May 19
    Waredaca June 2-3

for the baby(BN) and lower level horse(T/P):
    MD Starter Apr 15 (both)
    Baby Jumper show Apr 21-22 (both, if time allows w/ Fairhill)
    MCTA May 5-6 (T horse only, wish they had BN )
    Plantation Starter May 13 (BN)
    Waredaca June 2-3
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

Zoomd, there are cheaper places near Fair Hill to stable overnight. I was thinking of getting a stall just for the one night. I wonder if anyone has any good ideas for that three-days horse trial? I'm with you, I don't like the driving but don't see much of a way to save.
    A stall cost sort of equals a driving day in terms of expense so there has to be a way to save on that.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

retreadeventer, between stabling, hotel, and paying someone to take care of my "zoo" at home while losing those riding days on the other beasts, I try to keep from staying overnight as much as possible... and I'm too much of a chicken to just stable and drive the truck (much cheaper on the tolls, but still gas $) back and forth an hour and be that far away from the horse in case of an issue. Sometime I should just sit down and do math before these events and see what the real better option is.. yuck. math.
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

[FONT=Calibri]In a note from the Area 2 Chairman: "There will be some changes in the calendar since as many of you know, Rubicon is no longer running. This is a big loss to our area."[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Oh my![/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Thank you, thank you Sheryl and Eric for all those fantastic events and wonderful memories![/FONT]
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

It is my understanding that Area II will see some existing HTs change dates based on Rubicon's departure. Announcements should be forthcoming soon.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    It is my understanding that Area II will see some existing HTs change dates based on Rubicon's departure. Announcements should be forthcoming soon.
    Some discussed here
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=357623