The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aloe Vera Juice

Im thinking about giving Aloe Vera juice a try for my horse. He is prone to bloating, gas, and mild constipation. He has been better since I started him on succeed almost 2 months ago, but I have been hearing good things about the aloe vera lately and I am interested. Can I give both?

I tried the aloe juice for my mare, and didn't see that it did anything for her disposition (she had ulcers). I used to think trying these things couldn't hurt because aloe juice is pretty cheap, but I think I'm going to stick with the stuff that is proven to work. Saves me money in the long run.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I'd like to know what your feeding program is currently, before adding another product to it. If your horse has gas and constipation problems already, perhaps there is something to be done about the diet to change that situation for him.

Aloe vera juice and tea tree oil is a great fire ant bite remedy! You can buy a whole gallon of Aloe really cheaply at Walmart.

If I may piggy back on the OP's questions, what kind of feeding program would you recommend for a horse with these kinds of symptoms? Any other thoughts on managing a horse with these symptoms?

I have one with the gas, bloating and constipation. They seemed to be going away on Succeed (about two months now, as well), until a recent food change and they are back again. Grr! FWIW, aloe Vera juice didn't really seem to make a difference for him.

I'm not familiar with this personally, but could it be a soy intolerance from the feed they are getting?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I'm not familiar with this personally, but could it be a soy intolerance from the feed they are getting?
    Interesting you mentioned that.. I changed to soy free diet 3 months ago, I do think it helped but a sudden onset of the bloat last week makes me question the soy as the cause, unless he got it from some unknown source that I was not aware of.

salymandar-- We should talk, It sounds like we are having a similar problem! haha
    Last edited by CHEvent; Mar. 8, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

I think the WalMart aloe is GARBAGE! Absolute garbage.

JMNSHO
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    I think the WalMart aloe is GARBAGE! Absolute garbage.

JMNSHO
    Then what do you recommend? I've had really good (and not really expected) results from walmart aloe juice.

I used the aloe vera juice from Giant's health food section. Don't remember what it was called, but I think it was the 'higher grade' stuff.

I buy the Wal-Mart aloe - says it is pure aloe, so what the heck. The track uses tons of it and although it is annecdotal evidence, people swear by it for just those symptoms, including the diahrrhea (Sp.) It is cheap enough - I give it to my ulcery young horse.

George's or Lily of the Desert.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Im thinking I might give it a try. Why not if It cant harm anything.