The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lump on head

One of my mares came in with a lump on her noggin about a month ago. Vet said its a kick but I don't think it is. There are no marks on it to make me think she was kicked. Its the size of a golf ball. It is about 3-4 inches under her eye, just off the side of the center. Could this be something to do with her sinuses? I had a gelding that would have sinus/allergy issues in the spring/fall and would get very small lumps on his face that would come and go but nothing quite this large. Wondering where to go next with this. It is hard and does not seem to bother her at all.

The last horse i rode had/has a big lump on his head, too. He's had it for years, and it was suspected to be just a bone growth, though it seems hollow. His was golf ball sized and at the same location as you describe. I know he didn't always have it but I'm not sure how quickly it developed, or if a kick or trauma caused it to develop quickly. I know I have a photo, I'll try to find it and link to it.

Depending on your level of paranoia (& other practical considerations), have a vet aspirate or biopsy etc.

ETA there are many more benign lumps than scary ones

Two of our young TB mares have had something like this. The first one (belonging to a friend) had a big lump show up last summer -- it lasted until late fall then one day we realized it was gone.

I'm glad my friend's mare had it first because now MY 4yo mare has a similar lump! I hope it behaves similarly... I'd be happy to have it disappear any time now.

I am not 100% sure that a kick would have to remove hair -- not if it was a hock, for example, that "got her" in the face. And seriously, I could envision one of these gangly TB teenagers running headlong into a wall if she wasn't paying sufficient attention.

I also wonder if it might be tooth-related; I frequently see "tooth bumps" on the lower jaw but where would a tooth bump appear if it were an upper tooth? My friend never got to the point where she investigated any further, and so far, neither have I.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

On my other gelding the head bumps would come and go with seasonal allergies. Or so that is what I associated it with.

This mare I got in November, and the bump is new. Quite larger then the one my gelding ever had. She is not having any bit issues or eating issues so I don't think it is bothering her. I was wondering teeth issues also, I will have to have them looked at next time vet is out. I don't notice any foul odors that would make me thing rotten tooth or abscess in there.