The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exercise riding at Arlington

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me..

I am 23 and live right behind Arlington track in Illinois. I have bought two horses off Arlington as h/j prospects and sold them within the last couple years. I now have a dutch horse that does the Training and Adult jumpers on the A and B circuit in Illinois.

I have rode my whole life, do not know much about the track other then buying horses off it and losing money on them but I love riding and since I am so close to the track I was wondering what it would take to be an exercise rider there. Is there any contacts that anyone has or any advice people have for me?

Thank you
    Weekends are for horse shows
    and Fridays are for lessons

There are a couple threads here about becoming an exercise rider. It is a very different way of riding than what you're used to now and takes a whole different level of fitness. It is obviously an easier transition since you can already ride. I don't have any contacts there, but would definitely suggest looking up some old threads about what it takes to gallop horses.

Thanks GallopGirl I have read most all of those threads. I have a certain location and was wondering if there were any trainers or farm owners out there around Arlington that are reading that could help me out with some advice. Kinda using it as networking.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Back in the Dark Ages - late 80s - I bought my OTTB from a trainer at Arlington.
    Actually from his wife who found new homes for their failed racehorses.
    She rode for him as an exercise & pony rider.

She took me, my H/J trainer and another friend out to morning workouts one day and put us on the Old Trusted horses who kept the young stock from galloping their brains out.
    Even though I had been riding for many years, I.Got.Run.Away.With.

TG, the horse I was on knew the routine & slowed himself at the quarterpole(<or wherever it was they slowed down)
    Because there was no way on Earth or in Heaven I had the power to pull him up if he had felt otherwise.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Unfortunately there really isnt many training farms in the area anymore. Theres a lady who runs Teener TBs that has a farm in the area who might be able to help you, she posts on the illinoishorse.com forums. Best thing to do is go talk to some trainers, you will probably have to start at the bottom when going straight to the track. They are always hiring hotwalkers! Work hard and you can move up quickly. Luckily there is a training track at Arlington, so hopefully somebody will let you start riding the pony and help you maybe ride some easy horses with the pony. Good luck and just be prepared to start from the ground up!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

There is nothing like being a crazed horse kid and seeing Arlington Park through the fence as your Mom is visiting an old friend. Back then you could see and hear the horses as they galloped by. I was hooked!

Anyway, I started out by working on the R&R farms for several different owners all I'm sure are long gone by now but I learned a lot doing that and then legging up the R&R horses to send them back to the track after they rested/healed up.

There was nothing like breakfast early morning in the Arlington Park restaurant. I was just in hog heaven having breakfast with all the horsey people. How I wish I had taken pictures of those I met.

Anyway, I'm rambling!!! Check into the farms also and from there you will have an easy in to the track. I have very fond memories of that track. Good Luck chasing your dream. It's hard work and you do need to be seriously fit. Many wonderful people back in those barns.

Would i go to these farms just ask or call? Go to the track?