The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tredstep Donatello, Davinci, and now... Raphael?

The Raphael is the newest boot. Besides for the very creepy ad that they are running with the glaring eyes- anyone see these in person? I know LaMundial makes a similar boots sans laces, but are still considered a Field Boot. Thought about getting the DaVincis, but at the same price point I might be swayed.

I haven't seen them in person, but I am dying for a review on them! They look lovely, and I think mama needs some new boots

These look like a nicer version of the Donatellos with the elastic in the back. I'm liking these! They have the same sizing as the Donatellos too so I might be persuaded to upgrade after I wear out my Donatellos.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

If Michelangelo is next, I'm getting a pair and dressing up like a Ninja Turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by kashmere View Post
    If Michelangelo is next, I'm getting a pair and dressing up like a Ninja Turtle.
    Wonder what the Shredder boot will look like! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by cadance View Post
    Wonder what the Shredder boot will look like! hahaha
    What does it say about me that when I see "Donatello, Raphael and (Leonardo) Da Vinci" together, my first thought is ninja turtles, and my second is great artists?

What does it say about me that when I see "Donatello, Raphael and (Leonardo) Da Vinci" together, my first thought is ninja turtles, and my second is great artists?
    That was my first thought, too!

It says we have fantastic taste in 80s cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    That was my first thought, too!

It says we have fantastic taste in 80s cartoons
    Well, that's what I thought

ooh me likey! I'd love to see them in person.

Add me to the list that first thought TMNT. And I taught art.

I have seen the Raphael in person and it is an incredible boot! We met Aiden (CEO of Tredstep) when we attended the American Equestrian Trade Association trade show in January. We asked him why the Italian names given that his company is Irish. His response was that the names are all of artists...He considers his work (boots, etc) an art. A bit of mindless trivia for ya. Grab those boots as soon as you find them. I already placed my order and will sell out as soon as they arrive. Great company but the demand at times is greater then the inventory (which I have told they are working on.)

I love the look of these boots and really want to get a pair =)

Just dropping in to say that my first thought was also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

They all look like lovely boots - when it comes time to replace mine, I will definitely be looking into them!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Oh god, I love love love love my Donatellos. I like the Raphaels a lot, anyone know how they compare to the Davincis?

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Is there anyone out there that can outline the differences for me between the Da Vinci and the Raphaels? Fit/appearance/features, etc? Anyone seen them side by side or tried both?

It looks like Donatellos don't come in tall, so they're out

Thanks!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

It says we both had a childhood. Raph was always my favorite!

I'm bummed that, if the DaVincis are anything to go by, these won't be a good fit for me. They look lovely.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

^^^Renn-it may be worth a try. The Donatellos didn't fit me like the Da Vincis.

I tried two different calf sizes of the Da Vincis and neither worked. They were oddly bulgy over the calf. Going down would have meant not being able to get them over my ankles. Sent both back to SmartPak (actually they're in my car waiting to go to the UPS store). IMHO, they fit kind of like the Grand Prixs (or is that Grands Prix)?

So I went off to my semi-local tack store and tried the only Mountain Horse boot they had in a field boot (Venice) and didn't love those--calf not close enough fitting; foot not too comfortable (realize that may well be fixed by going upwards in price).

So I tried the Donatellos and those fit nicely in the calf. They're not available in a tall and they drop much at all they may not be tall enough, but I'm getting a good price (about-to-become old price* plus if I pick it up at their annual sale I get it at the sale price). I figure I can always use them at home in lieu of paddocks and half chaps. This makes me wonder if part of the calf issue with the Da Vincis was that they were taller and the bulgy part of the calf was located in a different place. Or maybe they just fit different.

It may have been a HUGE mistake to pull my ancient Vogels out of the closet a few weeks ago as I have been reminded how nicely custom boots fit.

*According to the people at the tack store, the price is going up by about $50 soon. Very soon.
    The Evil Chem Prof

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I've got big ol' ankles that wouldn't fit in the boot. In any case, ended up picking up Treadstones which do work for me; but that's useful information, that the lines fit differently.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

So....does anyone actually have these yet? I have no need for them as I love my MH boots, but they've always been a little short, and I have a birthday in two weeks, so.....!

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    So....does anyone actually have these yet? I have no need for them as I love my MH boots, but they've always been a little short, and I have a birthday in two weeks, so.....!
    I can't speak to the Raphael's, but I just bought the Da Vincis and love them for the price. A very pretty boot. Not as pretty a finish on them as the Ariat Monacos...but for under $500 I'm OK with that!