The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CL-this man wants to make a living riding

I usually avoid the CL horse threads, especially making fun of them. But I am really what the fruitbat about this one! My gut just screams NO about this guy. What is worse, is I bet he will actually end up making a living off "training" horses. At least he admits up front about Arabs & TB's.

I removed his name, phone number, & the CL city from his ad below.

Got a horse that needs rode?
    I have just moved to the (city removed) area and I'm making my living on the back of a horse. There are lots of ponies that need to get rode and I'm the man to do it! I've spent the last 5 years being trained to ride all types of horses of all ages and temperments. I am CHA certified on trail horse and team horses. I will work your horses for riding, packing and pulling. I work all breeds both on the ground and on the back or in the ribbons. I like mules, appys, drafts, aqh, no arabs or thoroughbreds! u name it I will work it the right way! I will not get heavy with your horse or get up in their mouth but I will get results. I spend time on the ground and your horse will reflect that in their manners when im done. I've trained in Nevada, Arizona, and Montana and am going to build my home in Oklahoma so let me make your horse the one you want it to be. Price is negotiable depending on your horse, how many you have, and how far they are from me. I bring all my my own tack and equipment. Thank you and god bless.

The fact that he says that he'll bring all his own tack and equipment scares me. I guess in all his training he never learned the importance of properly fitting tack.

Oh this will be fun!

Got a horse that needs rode? Synonym look up says "rode" means "harrassed, annoyed, provoked"
    I have just moved to the (city removed) area and I'm making my living on the back of a horse. Bring your horse to work day? There are lots of ponies that need to get rode and I'm the man to do it! Most men ride horses. Ponies are too smart for them. I've spent the last 5 years being trained to ride all types of horses of all ages and temperments. Except the ones I will omit below I am CHA certified on trail horse and team horses. err...Certified Hotel Administrator? Canadian Healthcare Association?I will work your horses for riding, packing and pulling. I work all breeds both on the ground and on the back or in the ribbons. "Both" means two places. "On the back" sounds like he spends a lot of time on his. "Ribbons" is not a place, it is an aspiration.I like mules, appys, drafts, aqh, no arabs or thoroughbreds! There's that exception thing.u name it I will work it the right way! I appreciate my horses worked the left way too.I will not get heavy with your horse or get up in their mouth but I will get results. Glad he knows he's not a dentist and watches his weight. Strange endorsement though. I spend time on the ground and your horse will reflect that in their manners when im done. "On the ground" as in after a flying dismount? Not something I want reflected in my horse's manners I've trained in Nevada, Arizona, and Montana and am going to build my home in Oklahoma Did they run him out of those states? so let me make your horse the one you want it to be. I like mine being thoroughbreds, thanks.Price is negotiable depending on your horse, how many you have, and how far they are from me. They couldn't be far enough.I bring all my my own tack and equipment.Because I don't care about that sissy saddle fit and proper bit stuff. Thank you and god bless. No, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jengersnap View Post
    Oh this will be fun!

Got a horse that needs rode? Synonym look up says "rode" means "harrassed, annoyed, provoked"
    I have just moved to the (city removed) area and I'm making my living on the back of a horse. Bring your horse to work day? There are lots of ponies that need to get rode and I'm the man to do it! Most men ride horses. Ponies are too smart for them. I've spent the last 5 years being trained to ride all types of horses of all ages and temperments. Except the ones I will omit below I am CHA certified on trail horse and team horses. err...Certified Hotel Administrator? Canadian Healthcare Association?I will work your horses for riding, packing and pulling. I work all breeds both on the ground and on the back or in the ribbons. "Both" means two places. "On the back" sounds like he spends a lot of time on his. "Ribbons" is not a place, it is an aspiration.I like mules, appys, drafts, aqh, no arabs or thoroughbreds! There's that exception thing.u name it I will work it the right way! I appreciate my horses worked the left way too.I will not get heavy with your horse or get up in their mouth but I will get results. Glad he knows he's not a dentist and watches his weight. Strange endorsement though. I spend time on the ground and your horse will reflect that in their manners when im done. "On the ground" as in after a flying dismount? Not something I want reflected in my horse's manners I've trained in Nevada, Arizona, and Montana and am going to build my home in Oklahoma Did they run him out of those states? so let me make your horse the one you want it to be. I like mine being thoroughbreds, thanks.Price is negotiable depending on your horse, how many you have, and how far they are from me. They couldn't be far enough.I bring all my my own tack and equipment.Because I don't care about that sissy saddle fit and proper bit stuff. Thank you and god bless. No, thank you!
    I thought the ad was funny, until I saw this... Now it's downright hilarious. My stomach hurts from laughing.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

If I had a not so sensitive fellow that needed work, hey, can't be any worse than the lot of 'trainers' who make the headlines.
    Can't see nothing bad about a guy bringing his own tools. Beats the person not having a lead rope to his/her name. And a western saddle is probably easily fitted to the average horse he listed, add another blanket underneath....

he ain't no hunter prince, fo sho, but I have to admit, the ad is not ringing the alarm bells for me.

It would boil down to having a face to face interview and check where the ideologies mesh or clash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

He seems to favor the stock type breeds and if he actually has a real western saddle with a REAL WOOD tree it would probably fit most horses.

on the ribbons means driving. Its not commonly used.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    He seems to favor the stock type breeds and if he actually has a real western saddle with a REAL WOOD tree it would probably fit most horses.
    You're joking right?

Must explain why he does not do Arabs or TB's, that "real wood" tree he might have does not fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    on the ribbons means driving. Its not commonly used.
    Thanks, did not know that.

Still does not make feel all that much better about his ad tho. Remember, he wants to ride your horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    And a western saddle is probably easily fitted to the average horse he listed,
    Am I the only person who sees alot of horses ridden in Western saddles that Do.Not.Fit

add another blanket underneath....
    exactly how thick is too thick for a western saddlle blanket - the latest ones I saw, approached 3 inches!!!

My guess is he just got out of prison, where he worked with one of the training programs there breaking mustangs. "I spent the past five years being trained..." Some of those programs do work with TBs, though.

Nothing wrong with trying to make a living training horses, but I would definitely ask for some references and do a background check/google on this guy.

Oh, I never thought of prison.

The CHA might be the Certified Horsemanship Assoc. I guess i dont see as many red flags as others do. Would want to meet him face to face, watch him work and see some references. The way he talks just seems kinda country to me.

http://www.cha-ahse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jengersnap View Post
    Oh this will be fun!

this is HILARIOUS especially the line about liking your horses being worked the 'left' way too!!!! So witty thank you for sharing!!!
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Am I the only person who sees alot of horses ridden in Western saddles that Do.Not.Fit

exactly how thick is too thick for a western saddlle blanket - the latest ones I saw, approached 3 inches!!!

I sat in a western saddle once, not counting the pony rides at the carneval.

However, I am under the impression that since the saddle is not close contact, does it matter? as long as it does not pinch and wobble...now, a flank strap that hangs down a good 4 to 6 inches...even *I* can see the trouble in that.
    (but a decent pad is 3 inches easy...I think my sister had one like that for under her dressage saddle! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I think that hunter/jumper/dressage saddles are really the only ones that need to be "fitted". There are some nuances to western and saddle seat saddles that need to have attention paid to them as far as fit, but in general they are able to fit most horses as the weight is distributed pretty evenly in them.

Not saying this guy isn't a fruitbat, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I sat in a western saddle once, not counting the pony rides at the carneval.

However, I am under the impression that since the saddle is not close contact, does it matter? as long as it does not pinch and wobble...now, a flank strap that hangs down a good 4 to 6 inches...even *I* can see the trouble in that.
    (but a decent pad is 3 inches easy...I think my sister had one like that for under her dressage saddle! )
    YES IT DOES MATTER! As me how I know! I have a hard to fit QH gelding right now and have literally tried 25 saddles and nothing fits...too narrow on shoulders, too wide on shoulders, too long and the back hits his hips, gaps under the bars in the middle, bars touching his back in the middle but not on the front and back.... Just because they "distribute weight" on more surface doesn't mean they are any easier to fit, or that it doesn't matter as much if they don't.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by khorsem View Post
    I think that hunter/jumper/dressage saddles are really the only ones that need to be "fitted". There are some nuances to western and saddle seat saddles that need to have attention paid to them as far as fit, but in general they are able to fit most horses as the weight is distributed pretty evenly in them.

Not saying this guy isn't a fruitbat, however.
    No, see my response above. It means jack squat that "weight is distributed" evenly...if it doesn't fit well, the weight is NOT distributed evenly.

If you wear a high heel shoe that doesn't fit right, its going to hurt. Put a sneaker on because it fits more comfortable and distributes your weight more even on your foot...if it doesn't fit, eventually is isn't going ot matter that your weight is distributed "evenly" - an ill fitting shoe is going to hurt your foot eventually, some just take longer than others.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    No, see my response above. It means jack squat that "weight is distributed" evenly...if it doesn't fit well, the weight is NOT distributed evenly.

If you wear a high heel shoe that doesn't fit right, its going to hurt. Put a sneaker on because it fits more comfortable and distributes your weight more even on your foot...if it doesn't fit, eventually is isn't going ot matter that your weight is distributed "evenly" - an ill fitting shoe is going to hurt your foot eventually, some just take longer than others.
    I guess that I put that the wrong way, if it's making you angry - they are built to basically fit every horse of the build they are made for (you will see QH bars, Arab tree, etc) Yes, an ill fitting shoe will hurt your foot if it's meant to conform to your foot. A croc or clog that's built flat to conform to most foot types has a little more wiggle room. Croc's are actually sized over a span (mine are size 6-8 for instance and I wear them for 12 hour shifts on my feet in the hospital and they don't hurt my feet) Does that analogy sit better?

Quote Originally Posted by khorsem View Post
    I guess that I put that the wrong way, if it's making you angry - they are built to basically fit every horse of the build they are made for (you will see QH bars, Arab tree, etc) Yes, an ill fitting shoe will hurt your foot if it's meant to conform to your foot. A croc or clog that's built flat to conform to most foot types has a little more wiggle room. Croc's are actually sized over a span (mine are size 6-8 for instance and I wear them for 12 hour shifts on my feet in the hospital and they don't hurt my feet) Does that analogy sit better?
    Not angry, just trying to emphasize that its common for folks to think they are easier to fit because of the overall weight distribution, but that is only a small part of it.

While they cannot custom fit a saddle to every horse, even those "Semi-QH" "QH" "Full QH" bars are not one size fits all. They are like women's pants...one brand may fit well in style and size, and another brand may not fit at all, and the sizes are off.

I have tried extra wide, Arab, all the QH bars, and even gaited horse trees on my QH...nothing. RIght now the only saddle I have that fits him is my show saddle...nothing like feeling a little too blingy on a trail ride!