The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Flying horses across country..HELP!

So I am flying my lovely 4 horses to CA from FL at the end of April. I was thinking do they make tranqs that I could give them during the flight? I was told by a vet that maybe a 30day tranq would be useful in such a long move, I have never used a 30day tranq. do they work? And sideeffects? Its only about a 7hour journey all together with 5hours in the air and an hour to and from airport. Also wondering if I should see about using a heavier tranq while in flight? I have never flown horses before and I have 2 older ones that load on trailers fine, and then 2 young ones that are not so into it. I have planned on working with the young ones in loading for about 4 weeks before they day, and the are put in a single stall pallet which will hold all 4 so they will be together which I think would keep the young ones calm. Is there anything I am missing, maybe I am being overly concerned....

I've never known a horse that had trouble flying- less bumpy than a trailer ride. I'm curious where you found a 4-horse pallet, the only ones I've ever seen were 3-horses. Make sure they load well, have some electrolyte pastes on hand in case one of them stops drinking, and talk to your vet about anything else for the in-flight groom to have on hand.

I've never heard of anyone tranqing one for a flight- but that said, I've only dealt with horses that had to show within a few weeks of arrival- so a tranq would violate drug rules.
    Last edited by joiedevie99; Mar. 6, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I've never known a horse that had trouble flying- less bumpy than a trailer ride. I'm curious where you found a 4-horse pallet, the only ones I've ever seen were 3-horses. Make sure they load well, have some electrolyte pastes on hand in case one of them stops drinking, and talk to your vet about anything else for the in-flight groom to have on hand.

I've never heard of anyone tranqing one for a flight- but that said, I've only dealt with horses that had to show within a few weeks of arrivel- so a tranq would violate drug rules.
    The pallets come in 5single stalls which is what i concured from my conversation with Greg Jackson out of Ocala, FL. Good to know about the electolyte paste, maybe make them up a travel bag. I think apart of me is not giving the horse enough credit and I am being smoothering.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I would listen to the shipper/flyer--they are the experts. Since the majority of the horses flown are competition horses (well, other than the breeding stock flown across the Atlantic), they seem to fly just fine without any sedation. It seems most horses fly very well, with no side effects, and the bad stories are incredibly rare.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I would listen to the shipper/flyer--they are the experts. Since the majority of the horses flown are competition horses (well, other than the breeding stock flown across the Atlantic), they seem to fly just fine without any sedation. It seems most horses fly very well, with no side effects, and the bad stories are incredibly rare.
    Gotcha! ^ Good information. Glad to hear horses fly well. It just seems faster and less stressful for them, maybe not me but for them..

I flew my new mare from Ca to Fl about a year and 1/2 ago. She did just fine, no tranquilizers. Her trip was a bit longer, as she went from well north of LAX to that airport, was held a few hourse prior to loading, then had to be trailered from West Palm to central Florida. But all told, less than 20 hours door to door, and she was unstressed on arrival. Also well worth the peace of mind for me (vs. DAYS on the road).
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I flew a horse from the UK to the US several years ago. I was told by the shippers that they prefer a horse not to be sedated as they must be able to brace for take-off and landing. They thought it hilarious that my horse was unbothered by everything. So much so that he was munching hay during take-off!

You may be worrying too much

Definitely dont tranq unless he horse is absolutely dangerous. You don't want him to get scuffed up or worse, fall, on take off or landing!

Flying really is super easy on horses! If you feel you must tranq then I would give dormosedan gel at loading. He'd be awake for the first take off and last landing (but not for any lay overs) and it doesnt have the potential to make a bad situation worse like ace or zylazine could.

I dont know. I don't like the idea of a sedated horse flying. What I the horse has a reaction??? I had a horse (been sedated plenty of times before) develop respiratory distress from the sedative about 25 minutes after it was given. Luckily for, he was at the vet hospital and attended to by a whole team in seconds.

Between my barn and alot of aquaintances who have imported a whole lot from Europe, can't think of any that were sedated.

Out of all of them-and just guessing but it has to be well over 150 head- only know 2 that had any issues. Those were both on the same flight and it hit turbulence. They were banged up but otherwise fine. If tranqed they would probably have fallen over and been hurt worse.

Hey, if they fly bazillion dollar race horses around to multi million dollar purses at tracks worldwide just days before the race??? Yours will be fine.

Just ask the shippers any questions you may have. They do it every day and they KNOW HOW to get it right.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

We flew a yearling filly from Baltimore to LAX last year. We started her on the feed through Perfect Prep 2 weeks prior and gave her a tube the morning of the flight. We sent a tube with her too just in case. They never needed it and said she was the best behaved horse the entire flight.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com