The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do we stand up in the saddle..........

when a horse decides to take a pee? Seriously, for some reason I want to know (yeah, work is boring today).

Is it just because everyone else does it (and yells at you to stand if you stay sitting)?, or is it to relieve pressure from their kidneys?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I was always taught it was to get off their kidneys.

Never heard of it. I might lean forward slightly from instinct (if a horse sat down on their butt I would naturally lean forward so I don't fall backwards) since their hind end is sort of down but I've never seen anyone stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    This

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

The whole kidneys thing is an old wives tale. Believe me, the kidneys are well protected from our weight sitting on them. I do get into a two point position but for the reason of shifting my weight forward to let them stretch out.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I get up too. He has to pee Every. Single. Time. we start out on a trail ride. I've gotten to the point where I can tell he's going to pee by the way he's walking about a minute or two before he actually stops (for the first time, I swear he's like a dog, has to circle a bit first . . . .)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I always get up to let them stretch out more easily, and it's more comfy for me then falling backward. Also, gets me farther from the smell
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Also, gets me farther from the smell
    This may be the best reasoning! LOL!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    This. I think it was old military. Big guys on small horses with hard saddles. Probably made it easier on the horse's back muscles when they peed. So it became protecting their kidneys.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I was taught that in Europe, found it to be the rule in the USA also.
    The reason we were told is to relieve a bit of the weight on their backs, redistribute it on the stirrups and on the forehand, so it is easier for the horse to stretch out behind.

I ride a mare. She wouldn't DREAM of peeing during a ride, she holds it until we're done, no matter how long that takes Sort of like women not wanting to use a public rest room, I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I ride a mare. She wouldn't DREAM of peeing during a ride, she holds it until we're done, no matter how long that takes Sort of like women not wanting to use a public rest room, I guess....
    My mare is EXACTLY the same! When we go to some shows, she won't pee usually until we get home - so about 10 hours! I give her a big kiss if she does it before we leave (cuz she'll do it on the way home if it's just not possible to wait, LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by kewpalace View Post
    My mare is EXACTLY the same! When we go to some shows, she won't pee usually until we get home - so about 10 hours! I give her a big kiss if she does it before we leave (cuz she'll do it on the way home if it's just not possible to wait, LOL).
    My mare waits until she's in the trailer. Yeah, she's a skank.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

There was a short article in Equus Magazine a couple of years ago dispelling the myth that riders needed to get off the horse's back if the horse needed to pee. I remember it made me laugh because it said the only thing getting off the horse's back does is make the rider look funny.

My mare has never peed while under saddle. Must be a mare thing.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post

My mare has never peed while under saddle. Must be a mare thing.
    Now that I think of it, I've only owned mares, for years, and I can't remember having one pee under saddle, even during long rides. My current one pees as soon as I bring her in her stall from turnout. Or when she's on the trailer.

When I ride a gelding that wants to pee, I don't get up in the stirrups but I lean forward and lighten my seat a bit, so he can stretch more easily.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I've always done it to shift my weight toward the front legs and allow the horse to stretch out more easily.

My mares were all shameless. Made Niagara Falls look like a babbling brook.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Count me in with the mares who won't pee. Actually, she did do it one time (during a particularly long ride where she drank liberally from the streams we crossed), and I was so shocked I was rendered mute.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

The gelding I ride is a man of routine. He makes stall cleaning a pain because he does these little half poops all the time. I can predict his schedule within a minute. Usually he poops right when I curry his rump, after I pick his feet and then after a ride, he poops as I'm unfastening the chin strap or nose band. Then he pees five minutes later, as I'm carrying the saddle to my tack box. He has never once peed or pooped during our rides, I think I'd be shocked if he did spread out to pee and I wouldn't know how to react!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Lord not my mare! She will stop and pee, I swear I think it's a diversion tactic "If I pee, I don't have to work, I can stop and relax!"

Went trail riding this weekend and we stopped for a moment, mare took the time to pee. Friend laughed and said she's never seen a mare pee on a trail ride!

Have some other friends that when they are done trail riding, they walk the horses around like you would a dog, letting them sniff here and there, and they both pee! They said it works every time, so one time we all were doing it, and out of 8 horses I believe all but 1 peed! It was kinda funny looking, all of us walking our horses around...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I've never had a mare pee on trail either.... until Penny. However, it's only within the last 2 years that she's done it and only when she was about to explode.

I still get off the back a bit just to let them stretch better.... old habits die hard.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.