The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default handsome ammy-friendly pinto - 7 yr, 15.2h gelding in MD (can travel)

This is not a "MUST GO!" situation so I will be a little particular about where he ends up. Please don't be offended if and when I ask for vet and farrier references and a personal review of his living quarters. I don't mind him going out of state but will be insisting on the same pre-placement checks!

Spotty is an adorable, well-mannered 7 yr old, 15.2h pinto gelding. Big-bodied and accomodates me at 5'8 easily. He's supposedly an NSH (Arab/Saddlebred cross) but had made the auction rounds prior to my ownership and "papers were lost."

His ground manners are fantastic. Leads, grooms, single ties, cross ties, ground ties, bathes with no issue. Will free lunge, lunge on a line and has been ponied.

Under saddle, he knows how to work but is still green. W/T/C and has hopped 2- 2'3 simple courses. He is capable of working relaxed and quietly in an Intro/Training level frame with flexing/bending, simple leg yields and moving shoulders and haunches in and out. Very responsive with a good work ethic.

Exceptional trail partner. He's bold and brave with a touch of forward, but definitely not crazy or jigging. Has schooled some cross country and is much the same - cruises over logs, drops, water, etc.

I would recommend at least an intermediate rider - he will tolerate an inexpert rider but appreciates confidence.

I am currently offering him as an offsite lease situation. Will consider a short term lease-to-own to a really outstanding home. I'd envision that as a no-cost transaction, 6 month trial period lease and transfer of ownership after.

My work schedule has me away from home for a minimum of 14 hours a day so he is on a VERY lax work program (aka we hack out once in a blue moon). Even so, he's always a gentleman. Here is video from our more productive times:

free in the arena (sorry for the hideous banner, original vid is lost!)
    flatwork
    a little xc/water schooling (freezes from about 1:00-1:21)
    first time encountering a wooden bridge - no fuss

Photos:
    confo
    year 1.5 of work
    cute face

Please PM for more information! I will do my best to follow any replies to this thread but I'm notoriously bad about it. Thanks!
    Last edited by LarissaL; Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

WISH I was able to take a second horse at this time!
    Larissa, he's adorable and I can certainly see WHY you'd be particular....your descriptions/photos/age/training/personality of this guy are NOT the typical 'giveaway' horse. All the best of luck to Spotty!!!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Thanks Ayrabz! He's not perfect or finished, but he IS a total doll Someone will have a blast with him.

I added another video to the original post. I had forgotten I had a cell video that shows off his can't-be-beat braveness.. first time crossing a big wooden bridge and he just cruises along as if there's nothing in the way. Such a superstar.

And totally irrelevant but totally adorable - when I have time on the weekends, I take him for runs. Like a dog. He's really the best sidekick ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQZP...ature=youtu.be

Oh, and he does pony rides. My 3 yr old niece is coming out tomorrow so I expect I'll have some photos to push the cuteness factor off the charts.

Sent you a PM.

I am in Love He is beautiful.

Unfortunately, I just trail ride. But I'm forwarding this link to two others who are looking. Can you PM me your e-mail, because neither one of them are on Coth.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Oh, my word! He is ADORABLE! Isn't it amazing to see what gets tossed out to the auction circuit? He is absolutely perfect. Lawndart, trail riding would likely be okay with him. In fact he could be an awesome trail horse. I don't think horses worry about living up to their potential.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Ok I am PM'd you with contact info for the interested parties. I hope if works out for everybody.

Ditto.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

It really is amazing what makes the rounds at auction! I was boarding at a farm that occasionally bought and sold A LOT of horses at low-end auctions and I swear I saw one of every kind, from sweet autopilot show horses to nasty unbroke cowkicking SOB's.

Of the 40-50 horses I rode for those folks over a few months, Spotty was the only one I bargained for and backed off the trailer the day his number was up. He was supposed to be a quick resale, since I had two OTTB's and one a very expensive rehab.. but here we are three years later

And no, I don't think he would mind forgoing a competitive career and being a trail horse at all! If the job comes with an easy life, treats and a couple of well placed pats, he'll be content.

I know I have a few PM's to respond to and emails to send, I will do my best to get to those this afternoon. I have limited internet outside of work hours and am unfortunately pretty booked in the office this AM. Thanks for your patience!

Spotty and his little girl
    sorry, we didn't really have a chance to groom - my other guy was throwing a fit for the farrier

He is beautiful and looks to be a good opportunity for someone. I wish he was available when I was looking for a sweet gelding to hack out on. He seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Bump up for this Handsome Gelding
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Sent a pm!

I am SO sorry to everyone waiting on PM/email from me! I'm technology impaired - I couldn't take the frustration of the forum and typing longer replies on a smartphone.

Thanks for keeping Spotty's thread bumped up. I appreciate all the comments and leads! He's made a new fan this weekend - my boyfriend (never touched a horse) and I took him for a walk this weekend and they fell in love. He woke up Monday AM and literally the first thing he said was "I wonder what Spotty is doing right now.."

So, maybe Spotty will stay? as a boyfriend horse?
    Oh, I hope so. I'm sure he would be happy to stay with you.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Oh nooooo! Boyfriend is giving me hell (really and truly!) for wanting to place his new best friend but unfortunately I'm not wealthy enough to fund a horse habit for two and his checkbook must be hidden well . Spotty could use something more than us being a once-a-week treat machine and I have heard from some really lovely folks.

Speaking of which.. I'm emptying the PM box and sending notes to anyone expecting one!