The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default suggestions on jump saddle for Dressage rider?

So I am venturing back into jumping and have been using my friends super nice saddle - i loved it - fit really well and had nice grippy leather.

I am now looking for my own saddle - and I know i cant afford similar to hers (it was spendy), but what is a good saddle for the person getting back into jumping ? Needs to fit two different beasts and if it has grippy leather i would be so happy! Also needs to be under 1k - well under if possible! so older is fine....

i am short (5' 2") if that matters. i have a 16h WB and a 14.3 h connemara - they wear similar size saddle altho the pony is wider and rounder.

ideas?

I would start here
    http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...sedelweiss.php

There is a new rep in the area too, I have his card at home. The Edelweiss is a good, comfortable, all-around saddle and a good deal for the price, especially used.

The older Beval close contact saddles seem to fit a variety of horses but they are harder to find.

I had a HDR close contact saddle that I used on my chubby 14.2 QH pony and my Trak when she was younger. Also rode a few tbreds in it. Fit well for all those horses. They are about $900 new I think. I competed in the large ponies and through training level eventing in it.

I rode almost exclusively dressage for several years, then switched to almost exclusively hunters with a close contact saddle (County Stabilizer). After riding in the Stabilizer most of the time, I hated going back to the dressage saddle! It felt so bulky. Also, a lot of horses seem to like the stabilizer and it is a med. tree. Right now it is not a perfect fit for my horse, but he still seems quite comfy in it. Not sure if you can easily find one under 1k, but might be worth a look.

what dressage saddles do you like. Sometimes, the same brand is a winner (though not always). However if you like things like grippy leather, big blocks, etc on your dressage saddle, you may want to first look at jump saddles with similar features. Take a look at the Berney Bros saddles. I think they are a steal for the quality and ride - for example here at $600 http://www.desertwindsaddlery.com/us...apsaddles.html There is also a wide tree Stubben there for $350 that might be worth a try. Before you plunk down (even a smallish amount of) money, sit in as many saddles as you can and see what you like and what fits your guys.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

thanks for the info so far.

for dressage saddles i like old school, less is more, flatter seat, less knee padding etc.

i loved the grippy leather of my friends high end saddle - it was awesome! especially coming back to jumping after about 15 years or more lol!

is there any way to make a normal saddle gripper?

btw i *think* the jump saddle that i loved is an Antares...

eta: i also LOVE stubbens

is there any way to make a normal saddle gripper?
    Try full seats with leather or the bizarrely grippy Kerrits (look for GripStretch™ panels & GripTek™ fullseat - you can usually find last years style/color on clearance somewhere).
    You can also use products that make the leather "sticky" or have a custom leather cover made for your saddle or even a seat replacement - kinda wandered out of the realm of economic here

i like old school, less is more, flatter seat, less knee padding etc.
    OR I can send you that old Tudor I have hiding in the closet - you just need the old style TB to go with it (though it also fits 3 yr old ponies )

ETA: If this was a wide, I'd be trying this one!

what is interesting to me is that there was a huge difference between that grippy Antares and say grippy full seats (which i don't like) it was just the *right* amount of grippy. it wasn't sticky at all - just ummmm.... tacky might be a better word i could move quite easily....

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I would start here
    http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...sedelweiss.php

There is a new rep in the area too, I have his card at home. The Edelweiss is a good, comfortable, all-around saddle and a good deal for the price, especially used.

The older Beval close contact saddles seem to fit a variety of horses but they are harder to find.
    would love the info on the Stubben guy - i am thinking of getting a Tristan but am having not much luck getting info and help from various retailers .

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    eta: i also LOVE stubbens
    fyi, the "Delux" is very similar in feel/grip to the French saddles, it has an overlay of very soft and grippy leather. If you call Stubben I am sure they will hook you up with the new guy. He's super nice and really cute on top of it Events himself.

I would look for older Stubbens. I have an old Aramis (like the old Tristans, but an upgraded leather) and an older Siegfried II. I'm about to sell that to a friend and get something else though. Probably an Edelweiss. I would guess you'll want a 31cm tree. Those seem to fit the widest variety of horses. My Arab takes a 32cm tree and both of the saddles are a little bit wide on most horses.