The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint Supplement for Jumper

I have recently started doing the training jumpers with my horse that I have before doing the adult medals and eq. He does not have any lameness problems but he is 14 and is starting to work a little harder and regularly jump a larger fence.
    I wanted to get him on some type of smartpak joint supplement considering all of this and the summer is coming (not soon enough).
    I was looking at the MSM joint supplement but dont know if that is enough. Should I do something more like the smartpak flex matience?
    Anyone have any ideas?

Thank You
    Weekends are for horse shows
    and Fridays are for lessons

I always liked HylaMotion, worked on my old jumper.

I use Super Joint from Choice of Champions. I also use their Ulcer Shield. Both products have shown great results on a variety of horses.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Our barn has the horses on Omega Alpha's products. My jumper gets Sinew X as a preventative, he has no lameness issues, however we wanted to start him on a program.

I have a 19 year old oldenburg that's still showing 3' jumpers. I have him on Platinum Performance CJ (not offered by smartpak). He's completely sound. Love it. He also gets hock injections every 6-12 months.

My 14 y/o OTTB does the 1.25m jumpers. I just have him on MSM & he also gets his hocks done about every 8 months & his hips done about once a year. Never been off in his life (I've had him since he was a 4 y/o off the track)

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    I use Super Joint from Choice of Champions. I also use their Ulcer Shield. Both products have shown great results on a variety of horses.
    This stuff is great. Glad to see someone else uses it too.

I have a 17 year old pony who did the 3'6" pony jumpers last year, and has just stepped down to the 3'3". Her joints are in wonderful condition despite her older age and the work that she does.
    I use MSM, and Cosequin (I would use Cosequin ASU as it has MSM in it, but we have a horse who just gets MSM, so it's convenient for me to mix them). Cosequin is the only veterinary tested joint supplement - so you KNOW it works.

SmartFlex IV Ultimate works great, too.. I use it on my 9 year old Oldenburg who shows in the hunters.

It's really all just a matter of what works best for your horse/how much you want to spend on supplements. Determine what things your particular horse needs, and find a joint supplement that has all or most of those things for a price you're willing to pay.
    "It's hard to wait for something you know might not happen, but it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."
    Blog | YouTube

I love SmartFlex Senior Herb-free for my 10 (11 on the 8th) TB who is in moderate work (2'6"-2'9" jumpers, 3'-3'9" sometimes but not often). Out of a lot of their joint supplements I've tried I feel this is the best bang for your buck, and I've actually noticed a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Us too - great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
    I always liked HylaMotion, worked on my old jumper.
    Same. I have a coming 15yo TB jumper and a couple years ago after having the majority of the winter off, noticed he was coming out a tad bit stiff. This took all his stiffness away, including every spring when he comes back into work after the winter off. It also worked on a 25+ yo Belgian we leased that would get very stiff in the hocks. He was only a trail horse and semi-retired, but it made him much, much more comfortable (after a very hard life).

I would do the comparison thing smartpak offers with your top choices of supplements and use whatever has the most good stuff in it. You probably can't go wrong with a supplement that has more than one good ingredient in it.

I have had all of my horses (jumpers and eventers) on variations of the SmartFlex supplement for a couple of years. My main ride that I just bought is turning 13 and I have her on the SmartFlex II as we're jumping 3'-3'6". She has not been on a joint supplement ever to my knowledge though (but she has competed to 3'9"). I will probably bump her up to the SF III though when we move up to preliminary. My jumper pony was on the SmartFlex II also when we were competing in the Level 1s and did very well on it. He's mostly sitting around now so I bumped him back to the SmartFlex I (Maintenance I think?). I find that it gives enough support for horses that don't have preexisting issues and aren't jumping at top levels, and is also quite economical when you compare to other joint supplements.

I have had 2 horses on SmartFlexIII (even with the latest change in formulation) and have found that we go much longer between hock injections.

I have tried many different supplements for my guy. I have found what works for others unfortunately won’t work for me. I originally had my horse on Cortiflex at $24 a month it definitely didn’t break the bank and I just added MSM to it. It did really well, but it only had HA not a lot of the other ingredients. I then switched to something more well-rounded and while it did work, it wasn’t the right one for him. I tried the Smartpak version of Cosequin. I recently switched him to Grand Synergy HA and love it so far. Good luck finding what works! Smartpak has a great variety to pick from!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook