The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default I impulse-bought a brown dressage saddle...

...the very same day I sold my old flat-as-a-pancake close contact saddle. (I'd been trying to sell it for months since I got my slightly more cushy CC)

Tell I'm not COMPLETELY crazy!

I was just randomly browsing eBay and found a Kloster Schonthal brown dressage saddle (the Baron von Trenck) for like, $100. I couldn't resist. I clearly have a problem! Maybe I'm just destined to be a two-saddle household. I'd had a dressage saddle a few years ago and sold it and regretted it - I do want to event someday and I know for the lower levels I can ride my tests in a CC just fine, but I have been lusting for a brown dressage saddle for my chestnut mare.

I did some digging on the saddle and it's got good reviews for an old saddle (more recently made by Courbette). Guess I just need some reassurance that I made a good, inexpensive buy!

I've started seeing more brown dressage saddles around. Regardless, how can you beat a $100 saddle!

how can you go wrong at $100- even if it were chartruse with magenta spots, for that price you cannot go wrong.

You only have 2 saddles? My trainer has 18...

Whew, thanks for all the reassurances! I was partially in shock when I won it for that cheap. I figure if it doesn't work out for us, I can hopefully make my money back on it.

And skippy60, I'm just an ammy with more time to ride than I have sense (or money!), and only one horse. Don't start enabling me!! :P

Oh I am so wanting a brown saddle now.

They are back in it seems and I would have loved to have my red pony in brown!

I even ordered brown boots too!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Oh I am so wanting a brown saddle now.

They are back in it seems and I would have loved to have my red pony in brown!

I even ordered brown boots too!
    There's a brown Passier going for $255 currently! It's still got 2 days left, though, so I'm sure that'll go up (6 bids so far). 17.5"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170778294797...9#ht_485wt_282

An Ainsley for $300 buy it now or best offer! 17"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ainsley-Dres...#ht_500wt_1363

There are actually quite a few on eBay right now for at/around $500! Lots with days and days to go still, but lots worth watching, too

Where did you get your brown boots from? That's a "someday" wish list item for me!

Hey, be a trend setter. A few weeks back there was a gorgeous two-toned brown saddle (a well known brand whose name has slipped my mind--Niedersuss, I think) that looked like it had been custom made and not for very much. If I had had the money I might have snapped it up--just because it was so very pretty and elegant looking. I just recently got an older Stubben Tristan (brown) that I am loving.

Always hated black, anyway. Welcome to the in-crowd.

P.S. Wouldn't you rather have an extra $2000 to spend on something really nice, like extra lessons?
    Last edited by betonbill; Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: addition

betonbill, that Niedersuss sounds divine!

I never liked how my last (black) dressage saddle looked on the red mare, she looks much better in brown, and yes I am that picky

With an extra $2k, I'd buy lessons and clinics galore!

Quote Originally Posted by ohrebecca View Post
    There's a brown Passier going for $255 currently! It's still got 2 days left, though, so I'm sure that'll go up (6 bids so far). 17.5"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170778294797...9#ht_485wt_282

An Ainsley for $300 buy it now or best offer! 17"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ainsley-Dres...#ht_500wt_1363

There are actually quite a few on eBay right now for at/around $500! Lots with days and days to go still, but lots worth watching, too

Where did you get your brown boots from? That's a "someday" wish list item for me!
    Enabler!

lol

I need a narrow tree though... Wither clearance... HAHA she saves me from myself with that shark fin I swear!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Enabler!

lol

I need a narrow tree though... Wither clearance... HAHA she saves me from myself with that shark fin I swear!
    < enabling mechanism activated >

Two Kieffers in two different sizes, both say #1 tree (which the first ad says is a narrow): (1st saddle and 3rd saddle)
    http://www.thedressagearena.com/Dress5.html

17" Kieffer Munchen, no info on tree size, but looks pretty cutback for wither clearance!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-G-Keiff...ht_1539wt_1114

17" that measures 17.5", says narrow tree but more like a medium narrow, does have measurement pic:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/County-Compe...#ht_500wt_1363

17.5" Albion Legend!! From UK but still a pretty good deal, it seems? N-M tree, though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-5-ALBION-...ht_1475wt_1348

Okay, okay, I'll stop enabling... for now

I got lucky and snatched up a brown Jaquar XKC for $450 >.>

Fits me perfectly and once adjusted it fits the pony like a glove too. I love this saddle and could never have afforded it in black lol.

Now I just need to find a nice, reasonably priced dressage bridle. The saddle is the jaguar autumn gold, so a bit hard to match. That's the only downside and to be honest it looks fine with my black bridle.

I own two brown Niedersuss Olympiks (one medium and one wide) and got them for a song. I love them. In total I have 6 dressage saddles and 2 western saddles. I do own more than that in horses though
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I've been riding in my brown Rembrandt dressage saddle for years. I picked that up for less than $350. And, I was lucky enough to find a nearly new brown Rembrandt dressage bridle (with all brass fittings and brass bit) on eBay for $100. I have brass stirrups to tie it all together.

Now if only I could find brown tall boots to fit my big feet and tree trunk legs...

I recently bought a 2 year old used Stubben Tristan Special from a friend. It's brown with black panels. Almost a cordovan color. I'm waiting for a custom saddle to arrive then had planned to sell the brown one, but I really like the color so...I may splurge and order a black and brown bridle to match!
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I love brown dressage saddles, but I didn't know there were that many around until I looked at EBay.

Consider me enabled!

Welcome to the club! I love my brown Niedersuss!

Hooray for all the brown dressage saddles!

cada931, I didn't know there were so many either - and for (comparatively) so cheap! I'm browsing site:craigslist.org on google right now for brown dressage saddles - even more there! ... and also a brown Parelli dressage saddle. I didn't know they made saddles now... yikes!

enjoytheride, good find! I might uhm, have to watch that one, too...

Maude, that sounds gorgeous!

Snowflake, love the brass on brown. Where did you find brass stirrups?

Thanks for the assurance, everyone! I haven't told my boyfriend just yet, because he will NOT "get" that I sold a saddle and bought a new one the same day :P

Quote Originally Posted by ohrebecca View Post
    Hooray for all the brown dressage saddles!

cada931, I didn't know there were so many either - and for (comparatively) so cheap! I'm browsing site:craigslist.org on google right now for brown dressage saddles - even more there! ... and also a brown Parelli dressage saddle. I didn't know they made saddles now... yikes!

enjoytheride, good find! I might uhm, have to watch that one, too...

Maude, that sounds gorgeous!

Snowflake, love the brass on brown. Where did you find brass stirrups?

Thanks for the assurance, everyone! I haven't told my boyfriend just yet, because he will NOT "get" that I sold a saddle and bought a new one the same day :P
    They were with some friesian/baroque horse site. They are HEAVY.

This thread got me looking on eBay for brown dressage boots and I found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hispar-ST-La...item519a697c2a

They're available in brown and for $240... might be worth the gamble. ($240 becuse I would need the extra wides)