The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rectal prolapse in kitten

I have a runt kitten that has been fighting to survive since birth. His brother and sister are 3x bigger than him. he has been on lots of antibiotics and the latest round of clavamox seems to have helped get rid of the pneumonia.
    He was only eating raw hamburger meat. tried every canned cat food under the sun and even force feeding him. But no, only hamburger. So, Friday night he was pooping in the litter box and he prolapsed. Rushed him to the emergency clinic in C'ville and they were able to safely put him under and place the purse string.
    My feeling is that he got constipated from the antibiotics and the raw meat. So, I picked up some liverwurst for me and decided to offer him some. He loves it, so I am thinking this is a better alternative to the hamburger meat. His energy level is up and he is playing. Has to wear the cone of shame when unattended.
    Have any cat owners on here experienced this in a kitten and if so, what is the likelihood it could happen again at some point? I've had cats my whole life and various litters of kittens from stray cats, etc and never had this happen.
    He is 5 months old and he weighed in Saturday morning at my regular vet at 1 lb 5 oz. He is tiny.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Saw it ALL the time at the shelter; generally associated with straining to defecate along with worms or giardia/bouts of gastritis.

If you get get him to a really good, thriveable point, he shouldn't have problems with it for the rest of his life/beyond. Its usually just a couple of times in youth but as he beefs up and becomes more digestively sound he'll be OK.

Sounds like you're going above and beyond for the little guy Jingles!

I have no experience but just wanted to send some jingles. My 8 week old kitten (now almost 12 wks) was 1.5 lbs when I got him. Your poor little guy!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Our rescue had a kitten prolapse two years ago, got the purse string surgery, and she never did it again. Hopefully your kitten will do well; you are certainly going the distance. Hopefully you can get him off that diet though, as long periods of time without taurine in the diet has some serious consequences.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

He is getting some taurine, he will eat a little of the NutraCal kitten and I am guessing the KMR milk has it in it since he likes to drink that too. I really would like for him to eat some dry food since all this wet is not good for teeth and gums.
    Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Our rescue had a kitten prolapse two years ago, got the purse string surgery, and she never did it again. Hopefully your kitten will do well; you are certainly going the distance. Hopefully you can get him off that diet though, as long periods of time without taurine in the diet has some serious consequences.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Myth myth myth that dry food is good for teeth and wet food is bad

Dry food is "sticky" when wet, if it's even chewed at all. If it's chewed, it ends up sticking in a gummy mess at the base of the teeth for a while. If it's not chewed, well, it's not doing anything to clean teeth

Wet food with the added moisture would be FAR preferable for him at this point, given the constipation issue. He needs lots and lots of moisture

Not a kitten, but I had a rescue cat prolapse three times. The second time in the crate on the way home from the vet after the first surgery. But after the surgery finally took, and she wasn't stressed from the car ride/vet visit, she was fine. No after-effects.

Good luck with the kitten - they're so fragile.

StG