The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cowboy shower

I am in the process of pricing a new trailer with basic LQs. I will only use the LQs about 6 times/ year at weekend shows and a few overnight damp trips. However, I will use the trailer almost weekly to haul to lessons and day shows.

Therefore, I really only want/ need basic LQs (insulated, bed, few cabinets, sink, fridge, TV, microwave). No matter where I go there will be toilets available, but possibly no shower. I was thinking of pricing out installation of a cowboy shower (set up in horse compartment of trailer). Anyone have one? Pluses and minuses?

I don't want full LQs as it will make the trailer too long and I use it a lot for just local hauling.

You might ask this question on the Endurance and Trail Ride forum. With their camping more than most, I bet their Cowboy showers get a good workout frequently.

Haven't used one myself, but have heard good stuff from those who do use them. I expect there are a couple "tricks" to getting the best from them, which you learn with time or someone gives you a tip.

Having one for the infrequent use you name, will probably work out fine.

We purchased a 3 horse slant with full living quarters (including a flush toilet and shower) a few years ago. The living quarters are only 8 foot short wall in length so the trailer floor length is exactly the same as our old 4horse head to head trailer. I use it regularly as a shuttle trailer back and forth to the shows but when I stay overnight I REALLY like the option of a hot shower rather then a cold one (cowboy shower). Just a consideration for you to think about on a rainy cold damp day.....they are not really that much more money for the added benefit.

You can always just get a camping shower for far cheaper -- leave the bag of water out in the sun and it will be warm, no cold showers necessary. :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

We have one in our LQ.

If it's cold outside when we get to camp, I shut the windows and vents in the horse compartment. I sweep the shavings out of the way and set one of the now emptied out big Rubbermaid tubs in that stall by the shower head. I hang up my little travel bag of shampoo, body wash, wash cloth. I also set out a little teak wood 'bath mat' for when I step out of the tub. I take a little bag back there with my clothes and a towel. I store dirty laundry in that first stall anyway so that's already there.

If I'm going to be in camp for a while I rig up a siphon hose from said tub and snake it under the LQ to drain the water off gradually to soak into the ground. Otherwise I just leave it be and dump it when I'm done.

The hot water heater in the trailer is 6 gallons of blazing hot water. The cowboy shower showerhead (which is on a hose, that you stuff back up into the wall when you're done with it) has an on/off switch so if you need to conserve water for the next person, you can easily do that- otherwise you have plenty of water. My LQ has a 30 gallon water tank in the boot box. When you get to camp you need to have water on board in case there's an issue, otherwise you pull out your hose that is used only for such purposes and tie into the water supply there at camp. Use a pressure reducer between the hose and the trailer since some of those places have mega water pressure.

Done. When we break camp I rinse that tub out and set it out to dry. By the time we're ready it's dry and ready to hold the grill, rope lights, the bath mat, lol, etc etc. I wipe and close up the shower (it opens up like a glove box, with a keyed lock), otherwise it's out of the way.

I really appreciate the water pressure and HOT water when I'm camping. I've done the solar shower thing and it's fine in a pinch- but I do love a real shower

I also take a little kitty litter porta potty b/c at 3AM, I'm not walking to the bath house

No black water tanks, no grey water tanks, easy, and no downside. When we upgrade the trailer I want more living space, but I'm really fine with our redneck cowboy shower and potty set up. I know too many people who've torn up or cracked their waste tanks - nasty.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Ditto on Katarine's post.

I have a 2H GN with a cowboy shower and love it. I do have propane that heats the water in the hot water heater (fridge & cooktop), I actually have to watch that the water isn't too hot as the propane works really well. I too stand in a large tub and then empty out afterwards. I recently did the Fla Cracker trail ride for a week and showered every night. I did bring some water to add to the tank as we were camping in cattle pastures, so no other option to get water for it. I like the roominess of it and just hang hay bags over the windows for privacy. I've never had anyone ride over and peek in as no one evens knows you're showering at the time. If I have electric, I run the AC if not, I have 2 fans to run to keep me cool when getting dressed. My generator won't run the AC, but it will run the fans.

I camped for 4 years with a friend that had electric hot water heater for her cowboy shower and that worked great as well.

My LQ also has a dinnette, cabinets, fridge, cooktop, microwave, sink, medicine cabinet, AC, pocket screen door - which makes it very comfy for the many 10 day trips I go on.

This thread is not nearly what I thought it was going to be.

5 members found this post helpful.

Hahahaha, Ruth! love it!

...in addition? to this, what about the propane type 'Ecco' L 5 for camp showers? Does anyone use that type, and if so? can you share 'how' you set it up inside the horse area? (I'm assuming? propane tank outside on ground, unit? outside and just water hose snaked in thru drop window or escape door?)

however...I realize I'd need a hose/water pressure hookup for this to even work, so those opportunities would be few and far between.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    You can always just get a camping shower for far cheaper -- leave the bag of water out in the sun and it will be warm, no cold showers necessary. :-)
    Yep. Another way that it can be done is to go get a garden sprayer-1 to 3 gallons less than 20 (usually about 13) and set it out in the sun. This is not for leisurely showers, but it will get the job done and has a sprayer too.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

my shower sounds just like katharines. My hoses are in a little glove box like compartment too. I stand in a little kiddie pool. I do have some curtains in the horse stall on little magnetic rods so no worries anyone seeing in. I too sweep out the back, then put a tarp down and use the whole area as a mud room. We change clothes back there, keep garbage in there etc. I have a 2 horse gn with a 6 ft short wall.

I have in t he LQ a table that can go down to be a bed, and a sink on the longer wall, and a fridge, microwave and closet on the short wall.

In the back horse stall have my shower and a flush-able porta potty.

I would like to find an easier way to clean the back out besides having to work at getting the poo out. i am wondering if it is possible to lay something down over the floor and under the shavings when the horses are back there and then pull it out when you get to where you are going.

My trailer is not much longer than my two horse bumperpull with dressing room..only like 3 feet longer and I have all this stuff!

If you are interested in seeing my trailer I did a video of it for HAWK trailers where I had the trailer made.

Go to this website
    http://hawktrailers.com/testimonials.php
    and click on where it says a happy customer shows off their gooseneck. There is a picture there of two horses framed (that is in my gooseneck) and click on play.

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    I am in the process of pricing a new trailer with basic LQs.

I don't want full LQs as it will make the trailer too long and I use it a lot for just local hauling.
    There is currently a thread on Horse Trailer World about cowboy showers. There is some great info there.

I have basic LQ with no hot water. I use a Colemen portable water heater in the back of my trailer to shower. All it requires is a bucket of water and a shower attachment. I stand in a "portable pet tub" which I got off of Ebay and just dump when I am done.

My girlfriend has the Eccotemp which her husband sets up for her. A nicer shower but more of a PITA to set up and requires a larger propane tank. She won't do it if he isn't with her. Even my kids will use the Coleman on their own.

This thread is over a year old folks

Yes. It is indeed a year old. And again, I clicked on it thinking, ooooo...

Only to be sorely disappointed.

6 members found this post helpful.

Lori - OMG, that video you did for Hawk was amazing and it really helped to see your set up. I love how you did everything - you really thought of everything you needed for camping. I also go horsecamping a few times a year - whether its for trail riding or events or clinics and I LOVE the cowboy shower and porta potty in the HORSE STALL AREA. I would never want a full LQ with all the fancy shower stall, toilets and the waste tanks and grey/black water tanks etc. I use my trailer for everyday stuff and just don't want a long behemoth thing that isn't handy to maneuver and use all the time.

Your set up is the best of both worlds. Love how you turn the horse stall area into a total mudroom with the dirty laundry hamper so you change out there and keep LQ area clean. You are sooo practical! I also love the fold out table outside - I bring one just like that and use, but having it attached is brillant. Also the magnetic curtain rod for the horse windows....brilliant.

Girl - you have TRICKED OUT YOUR TRAILER! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori&Snickers View Post
    my shower sounds just like katharines. My hoses are in a little glove box like compartment too. I stand in a little kiddie pool. I do have some curtains in the horse stall on little magnetic rods so no worries anyone seeing in. I too sweep out the back, then put a tarp down and use the whole area as a mud room. We change clothes back there, keep garbage in there etc. I have a 2 horse gn with a 6 ft short wall.

I have in t he LQ a table that can go down to be a bed, and a sink on the longer wall, and a fridge, microwave and closet on the short wall.

In the back horse stall have my shower and a flush-able porta potty.

I would like to find an easier way to clean the back out besides having to work at getting the poo out. i am wondering if it is possible to lay something down over the floor and under the shavings when the horses are back there and then pull it out when you get to where you are going.

My trailer is not much longer than my two horse bumperpull with dressing room..only like 3 feet longer and I have all this stuff!

If you are interested in seeing my trailer I did a video of it for HAWK trailers where I had the trailer made.

Go to this website
    http://hawktrailers.com/testimonials.php
    and click on where it says a happy customer shows off their gooseneck. There is a picture there of two horses framed (that is in my gooseneck) and click on play.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post

I didn't read it a year ago, so I'm happy to see it, especially since I'm picking up my trailer with cowboy shower tomorrow I did read the thread on horsetrailerworld last night.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

3 members found this post helpful.

Me too! I'm glad this got brought back to life. I'm shopping for my dream trailer and really don't want a big LQ w/ the bathroom/shower inside...I love what Lori did w/ her Hawk and hearing how others use the Cowboy Shower, since that is what I'll be getting....

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I didn't read it a year ago, so I'm happy to see it, especially since I'm picking up my trailer with cowboy shower tomorrow I did read the thread on horsetrailerworld last night.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Oh it's totally fine that it's brought up, but I wish there was some 'old' tag so no one's kinda hoping to hear back from the OP and how her shopping went , that's all I meant in saying it was aged

Me, I went and bought a bigger LQ. With an indoor shower and a potty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post

sorry... no pictures of cowboys in the shower...

and seriously, Google disappointed on that one....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Guess I should convince a coupla cowboys to try out my shower next trip and take photos.......

Quote Originally Posted by Heart's Journey View Post
    Guess I should convince a coupla cowboys to try out my shower next trip and take photos.......
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.