The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Half chaps on a budget

Hi all, I'm looking for some new half chaps. The caveat is that I don't really want to spend over $100 or around there. I don't use them all that often but my others are stretched out and too big so when I do use them they get all twisted around. I was looking at

Tredstep Profile II
    Tredstep Victory stretch
    Ovation equistretch
    Ariat Concord
    Ovation precision
    Ariat volants lightly used on Ebay for $95

Any suggestions regarding these brands? I've had the suede and would prefer to stay away from those.

I've had leather Tredsteps for years, I think they were a $180 version but their products seem to last. Mine are still in perfect shape, they just need new zipper pulls (the actual zippers are still fine though).

I have two pairs of the leather Tredsteps Deluxe, they seem very durable, both are many years old and still in use, also had a pair of the Tredstep suede half chaps which also lasted a long time. I am not familiar with the Tredsteps you mentioned though. I have heard Dublin is good value for the price, although I have no personal experience with them. Ovation products seem to be good quality at reasonable prices, so that might be a good one to try.

Try some of the closeout styles such as those at Dover

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately most of the closeout ones at Dover are right around my size but not my size

Sizing is a funny thing - I'll use Ariat as my example as there are several models in the local shops, even though Ariat uses pretty much the same size chart for their half chaps (& boots) nowadays, for example, the Close Contact half chap fits very differently than the Classic ... so if you find some chaps that are close to your size (& they're returnable & shipping is not crazy), get several in to try.

You should register at tackoftheday.com. They often have the higher end half chaps for half price. As well as many other wonderful things

I'm nervous about sizing which is why I'm often not super comfortable buying things online but our local store only carries two brands. For the Dover closeout sales, do they do returns on those items? I know Smartpak does free returns so I've been trying to look there mostly.

I love my Dublin half chaps. They were like $50 or something? Wear them 3-4 times a week, never clean them, and they have held up beautifully for over a year.

Another vote for Dublin. They are sturdy and comfortable.

Love my two pairs of Tredstep Deluxe half chaps. They've lasted two years of consistent abuse.

The Ariat Breeze is very nice and not expensive. They're super comfortable and have been holding up well.

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ar...aps/SLT901588/
    Last edited by Angry Bird; Mar. 2, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added link

I love my Ariat Concords. I have had 2 pair now. love the way the zipper is on the back making them look more like tall boots. suede inside but you can see it when you are riding. Love Love Love them : )

After killing 2 pairs of Tredsteps in less than a year each, I opted to replace them with the Ovation Precision, and they just came today from Dover. They are almost an exact knock-off of the Tredstep Deluxe, the leather is a little bit thinner, the inside calf panel is different, and the zipper seems a little less heavy-duty, but out of the box I really like them. I figure for $100 I won't be as mad if they die in less than a year.
    friend of bar.ka

I third the Dublins, though they're not on your list - both the easy-care and the normal suede ones do not die EVER. And both types are very inexpensive.

Dublins or Ovations are my favorites by far. I don't like spending $$$ on chaps (I put them through too much abuse, lol!) and I've been super impressed by the quality for the price and how durable they are.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Make sure you try on the exact 1/2 chaps you want at your local tack shop (if you are getting one of their brands). I did and found out that I am a different size in both calf measurement and heigh between Ariat and Tredstep. And even within a brand, some models fit a lot better than others.

I forget which one I really liked at the tack store, and which I bought online for a lot less, but when they came and there was no little lady to help me zip them, I could not get the zipper started. It was a small zipper with a small pull tab and it zipped up the back, starting at the bottom.

I tried for over a half hour , then realized how stupid it was, so I sent them back.

(Personally I like Tredstep better; the Ariats have the triangle of leather which goes over the front of the paddock boots. I found out that it did not lie flat and looked silly.)
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I bought these recently:
    http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ov...aps/SLT901716/

They are very nice looking and extremely comfortable - I'm very happy with them!

It doesn't look like anyone has suggested Grand Prix half chaps yet. I love mine! They put up with a lot of abuse and still clean up to look new. They usually retail around $200 at Dover, but I got them for a super deal- about $80 on sale! If you look around, you might be able to find a good deal on some of the more expensive brands. I know sizing can be tricky, as I had to order three various brands/sizes before I finally got to these. Just be sure the store has a good return policy, and you really can find some good deals. Good luck!

Default Pro Chaps

I am in love with my Pro-Chaps (they're on the dover closeout). I've had them for a little over a year now, wearing them everyday (usually 8-14 hours a day) and they still look great. They are a bit hot in the summer (what isn't hot in a Texas summer?), but they look nice, repel water, and fit nicely. I have noticed that they've stretch a bit, but I as in between sizes and bought a size down, so that's okay. I would definitely purchase another pair.
    "I am literally a pillar in my community"