The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working Student Position

I know I have seen many opportunities for working students at dressage and hunter barns, I wonder if there might be similar opportunities with driving barns. I have ridden dressage for years and am really interested in looking into the possibility of learning to drive.

Not sure where you are, but Colonial Williamsburg might be helpful. They are located in Virginia, with vehicles turned out every day. If you can get in you would get PLENTY of knowledge.

Here is their "apply for a job" site.

http://www.history.org/foundation/careers/

The man in charge of the Livestock is Richard Nichols. Here is the number for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, where they can probably connect you or give you Richard's number. You could ask him your questions, to see if applying for a job there would work for your learning desires. He is a nice guy!

(757) 229-1000

MaryAlice Larkin-Matheson is a qualified driving trainer, might know someone who is looking for a working student. We met her at a Cleveland Bay Horse activity, where we also were driving. I thought she was nice, quite skilled. She is also in Virginia. Phone in the ad is 540-341-4972.

Getting your foot in the door is a start. Do you have a special direction you want to go towards in Driving? Both of the above are into the Traditional, Carriage type Driving. So you would probably be learning the UK methods.
    Combined Driving, Pleasure Driving, Coaching, all are driven, but VERY different from each other in many areas, skills needed to drive in them well.

Driving requires additional help. Lots of it, in fact. If you are interested in CDEs, the best thing would be to find active competitors and contact them.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I agree with Ironwood. This would be a really good place to start- your nearest CDE. Either the show organizers need volunteers, or the competitors themselves may need help. You could also try to find a local driving club.

Then at least you can make contacts in your driving community from there and see if you can land a working student position.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Driving requires additional help. Lots of it, in fact. If you are interested in CDEs, the best thing would be to find active competitors and contact them.

I would contact Sterling Graburn, he may know someone you can learn from. He is at the Gayla Driving Center in Ky.

PM me, I may have a contact for you.

Also contact Alan Aulson at Black Prong Equestrian Center. He knows *everybody*!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Default Thanks

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it!