The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schleese Link?

I am wondering how these saddles fit-- I know they are adjustable, but to what degree and by whom?

I have found a used Link in my size with xtra short flaps which seems like it would be ideal, but I do not own a horse right now. I'm currently riding a smaller QH, but that can change.

If these are the type that can only be adjusted by Schleese, that may not be an option for me as the fitters are only in my area once a year and the cost is almost $400 each time.

I'm a bit stuck because having my own saddle would improve my riding-- I'm 5' tall and riding with flaps down to my ankles limits my effectiveness. At the same time, I can't think of ANYTHING that fits versatile enough to be used on several different horses. Right now I have a Fairfax, but the flap is still too long and the shape of the tree definitely works for some and doesn't work at all for others.

Is there a versatile fit out there, in a short flap (and by short, I don't mean 16.5" when the regular is 17", I mean 15" or shorter)? I've been told maybe a 34cm prestige is what I want, but I guess the curviness of the tree bothers me in determining whether it will be a versatile saddle or not.

So, used schleese? Other options? Help?

Sending you a PM

I had both a Link and a Link II, I liked the Link II better...neither was something I thought of as versatile as far as fit goes--more appropriate to something with a flatter/narrower back. Schleese has two other models that I think would be more versatile--The Wave and the HK.

HK is out of my price range, even used...They seem to be $4k even on the used market.

I'm willing to throw out $2500 all in for a new saddle IF it can be used on multiple horses and possibly be fitted to my own if I buy one. That would leave about $2000 for saddle and $500 for shipping/fitting/etc. Getting a fitter out here is really expensive, since we're not close to anyone, so I have to leave a fair budget for it or else it jacks up the cost too much.

There really is NO saddle that fits a multitude of horse shapes - there are some saddles that do seem to fit a type of horse & are more forgiving than other saddles but put this saddle on the "wrong" horse & it will "not fit" as badly as the next ...

CWD offers what they call their "pro-fit" panel, they also use a tree that they feel fits a majority of horses - & I've seen it work BUT this was just a demo & the CWD did fit both horses rather better than the saddles that were used regularly on them

Having a shimmable saddle fit pad with different sized shims will also improve the range of use for most saddles on a variety of horses.
    Also learn about saddle fit so you know how to apply shims for a particular problem, & which problems mean the saddle should not be used on that horse.

A horse that is ridden occasionally in a poorly fitting saddle will usually have fewer issues than the horse that is ridden 4-6 day a week in that same saddle.
    Similarly a pro-rider in the same saddle will have less impact than a poorly balanced/less soft rider (rider weight can also have more impact if the saddle is a poor fit).

If you invest in a saddle that fits you, you can certainly only ride/lease horses for whom the saddle fit is decent, or nearly so with a saddle fit pad.

Definitely buy used as they will hold their value better than a brand new version of the same (new saddles are like new cars, one ride/drive & they's lost a 1K value, or close to it).

For a better deal for yourself, look for a lesser known brand BUT realize that will also come up when/if you resell; for best resale value, choose something that is very popular in your area, or with a consignment merchant such as Fine Used Saddles.
    Except dressage saddles always seem a more difficult resale than jump saddles.

If you live in an area where you're more likely to end up riding a QH, then don't invest in a saddle that was designed with a TB back in mind.

As you need a short flap, look at junior saddles - they are usually significantly cheaper to start & you won't need to find a small flap modified saddle.

You might consider these saddles - the quality is better than many in that price range & the exchangeable gullet should improve the versatility for a range of horses.

If you're in Canada talk to Heartland.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    There really is NO saddle that fits a multitude of horse shapes - there are some saddles that do seem to fit a type of horse & are more forgiving than other saddles but put this saddle on the "wrong" horse & it will "not fit" as badly as the next ...

CWD offers what they call their "pro-fit" panel, they also use a tree that they feel fits a majority of horses - & I've seen it work BUT this was just a demo & the CWD did fit both horses rather better than the saddles that were used regularly on them

Having a shimmable saddle fit pad with different sized shims will also improve the range of use for most saddles on a variety of horses.
    Also learn about saddle fit so you know how to apply shims for a particular problem, & which problems mean the saddle should not be used on that horse.

A horse that is ridden occasionally in a poorly fitting saddle will usually have fewer issues than the horse that is ridden 4-6 day a week in that same saddle.
    Similarly a pro-rider in the same saddle will have less impact than a poorly balanced/less soft rider (rider weight can also have more impact if the saddle is a poor fit).

If you invest in a saddle that fits you, you can certainly only ride/lease horses for whom the saddle fit is decent, or nearly so with a saddle fit pad.

Definitely buy used as they will hold their value better than a brand new version of the same (new saddles are like new cars, one ride/drive & they's lost a 1K value, or close to it).

For a better deal for yourself, look for a lesser known brand BUT realize that will also come up when/if you resell; for best resale value, choose something that is very popular in your area, or with a consignment merchant such as Fine Used Saddles.
    Except dressage saddles always seem a more difficult resale than jump saddles.

If you live in an area where you're more likely to end up riding a QH, then don't invest in a saddle that was designed with a TB back in mind.

As you need a short flap, look at junior saddles - they are usually significantly cheaper to start & you won't need to find a small flap modified saddle.

You might consider these saddles - the quality is better than many in that price range & the exchangeable gullet should improve the versatility for a range of horses.

If you're in Canada talk to Heartland.
    I'm in the US, and I already have a Fairfax which is the upper end line of the Kent and Masters. Flaps are still too long, and while the fit is reasonably versatile the gullets are not exactly easy to change. Was hoping there might be a better solution out there.

Someone at my barn has the link and I've seen a bunch of others. It's my least favorite of their older saddles. I don't like the knee roll thing. A lot of riders seem locked/blocked into place and are knee grippers.

I am a big fan of the elite, the jane savoie and the advanced. You can find a lot of these on ebay. Great saddles.