The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Oahu, Hawaii until we return to the Appling, Ga farm.

Default Random farm topics: Gross Stock Tank, Horse eating tree, etc.

I have a 600 gallon stock tank in my horses paddock. I have had to drain once already in a matter of 4 weeks, because anytime after that, the water is murky and eventually turns pink, which tells me some sort of bacteria is in there (think red tide in ocean). Can I put bleach in the water? I have heard of this being done..just not sure. I know draining that thing is a bitch

on another note...

My horse is eating bark, literally shaving it off, of the sapplings in his paddock. He is getting plenty of hay, beat pulp twice a day, and grain...other than him liking the taste of it, i cannot figure out why he would do this. My other paddocks have the same types of sapplings, and those are being eaten too, by my minis. Perhaps something about this particular species of tree is appealing? Is this safe?

And another topic:

I have a huge pole barn, two 12x22 stalls inside. I have a huge space in the barn i want to build a small 12x12 tack room in. Can you guys post links or pics of tack rooms you built inside of your barns? I am planning to do this on top of the concrete slab in the barn.

ANd post pics of your washracks and grooming areas too!

Thanks guys
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

and, and re: the bark eating...none of my horses are cribbers. I have owned them for years and never had issues. weird.
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

I'm not crazy about large stock tanks for watering horses. After a certain amount of time, the water is going to get disgusting and there is nothing to do about it but empty the tank and scrub it out. Standing water is also a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there a reason you couldn't use a smaller tank that was easier to dump and clean? Or invest in an autowaterer?

Horses like the taste of bark. Many types of grazing animals like to nibble on trees and bark. The only way to stop it is to use some kind of a physical barrier like putting fences around the trees.

Honey, funny you ask about using a smaller stock tank. YOu see, I could not override my husband and his INSISTENCE to get one. So, here we are, a giant ass stock tank that I am draining on a regular. Personally, the 50 gallon tubs are what I wanted to use...but he swear my 18 h horse is a whale.....and needs that much water.

We use bleach in our water barrels in our horse's paddocks as it really helps keep them much cleaner in the hot summer sun. Bleach is a 5% solution of a stabilized form of chlorine and chlorine is used in municipal water systems for human consumption.

This also helps when trailering out of our area as the water will smell and taste the same as our water at home by the addition of a bit of bleach.

We make sure to stir the water well after adding the bleach and also to only add it once the barrel is fully filled so as not have a pocket of bleach.

Edited to add: Of course, I guess you could use too much, so some care should be taken.

Horses are browsers. They like a variety of textures in their diet. Eating trees can merely be boredom. Or they could be after a nutrient, or micro nutrient, they know is there. Are you feeding kelp? It might help, if they are looking for a micro nutrient.

As for is it safe, that really depends upon the type of tree! Some are toxic.

Easy (or not so easy) solutions. Get a 100 gallon stock tank. I dump mine every day when it's really hot, bleach it if it needs it, rinse well and refill. As for the trees. Some horses (many) eat trees. They just do. You'll have to fence them off. And for very determined horses (I have one) you'll need electric too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

repurpose the tank as jacuzzi tub and get the small ones.

as to the trees, it has little to do with forage. My sister's horse was knee deep in grass and still eating the fruit trees my mom had planted.
    They have to be fenced off.

Quote Originally Posted by Briggsie View Post
    Honey, funny you ask about using a smaller stock tank. YOu see, I could not override my husband and his INSISTENCE to get one. So, here we are, a giant ass stock tank that I am draining on a regular. Personally, the 50 gallon tubs are what I wanted to use...but he swear my 18 h horse is a whale.....and needs that much water.
    Then make him dump and scrub it.

I don't know if you have electricity nearby, I have been using a stock tank filter in my 100 gallon tanks, which is working well. I have one horse that seems to think the tank is her personal waterpik, and the filter really keeps it much cleaner. They can be had for $60 or so online. They use about 30 watts, less than a light bulb. You just take it out occasionally, and rinse out the filter. So far it has been working well, and it even kept the water from freezing when we had 25 degree weather.

I add a slosh of bleach to our 100 gal water tank about once a week. I dump, hose out, add bleach, refill. Just that little bit makes a huge difference. But since bleach loses it's effectiveness so quickly after contacting organic materials, I'm not sure if that's a good option for you but as long as you take care in how much you add I suppose it's worth a try.

I've also heard that fish keep the tank cleaner, but I don't understand how that works... seems like you would have a lot of poo.

My horses will eat the bark off our trees as well, you need to either wrap them or fence them.

Do you have to fill the tank? Could you get by with only putting 150 gallons in at a time? That would leave less to clean and the water would be fresh more often.

here in new england the sap is running and the horses and goats cannot resist the sweet bark.
    plus i bet it does have plenty of micro nutrients and of course fiber.
    my horses thrive living in the woods browsing. there are a few pockets of grass here and there, but they browse on raspberries, maple, willow (aspirin) and all sorts of yummy stuff. i did have a forester and herbalist walk the property eons ago to make sure it was all horse edible first btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Ponies! View Post
    Then make him dump and scrub it.
    I like the way you think!

Quote Originally Posted by muleygirl View Post
    I don't know if you have electricity nearby, I have been using a stock tank filter in my 100 gallon tanks, which is working well. I have one horse that seems to think the tank is her personal waterpik, and the filter really keeps it much cleaner. They can be had for $60 or so online. They use about 30 watts, less than a light bulb. You just take it out occasionally, and rinse out the filter. So far it has been working well, and it even kept the water from freezing when we had 25 degree weather.
    I do! the man who built my house, was a retired old dude with nothing better to do than spend money. He literally put an outlet on every inch of the property. I have three no joke Power plug in things for RVS near my barn, 10 outlets in the back of the barn, and 3 on the driveway. He went a bit overboard. I had no idea that there was such a device. I am going to look that up. In the meantime, I put some bleach, about 1 cup, in the tank. after I washed it. Thanks for the help you all!

You're definitely going to get plenty of use out of all those extra outlets over time.
    There's a few things you can never have too much of, electricity is one of them. (under roof storage is another)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Briggsie View Post
    I do! the man who built my house, was a retired old dude with nothing better to do than spend money. He literally put an outlet on every inch of the property. I have three no joke Power plug in things for RVS near my barn, 10 outlets in the back of the barn, and 3 on the driveway. He went a bit overboard. I had no idea that there was such a device. I am going to look that up. In the meantime, I put some bleach, about 1 cup, in the tank. after I washed it. Thanks for the help you all!
    Lucky you.
    If I ever get to build my own from scratch, I can promise you, I will put double the amount of outlets in from what you have! No Jive.