The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shelters for horses.

I am currently leasing a farm,with a lovely 6 stall barn,but I would like to put up some sort of portable shelter in the pasture,just so my horses have shade and some sort of protection from the flies when they are in the pasture.
    In bad weather they are in their stalls,so the shelter just needs to provide minimal protection,
    I really would like something portable so I can take it with me when we move,but simple construction ideas might work.
    We just do not want to spend a lot of time and money on a property that is not ours.
    Thanks!

I think it depends on how much wind you get in your area. A portable shelter wouldn't work where I am, because occasionally we get high winds. High enough to send my neighbor's trampoline crashing through my fence and up over my barn, into one of my runs. After that, when I had my loafing shed built I had the posts set in concrete.

Make sure you plan for the worst case scenario.

We get terrible winds and have portable horse and cattle shelters that generally don't blow away.

We dig a hole in each corner, drop a bigger chain with a big bolt or piece of metal sideways for an anchor and pour a few sacks of concrete mix.
    Then we weld/bolt the other end of the chain to the frame of the shelter.

We have not had one of those blow over and away yet, but we have had permanent sheds ripped right off.

If the wind is strong enough, not even a barn or house can stand up to them.
    For other, if you tie anything down good enough, it ought to stay put.

See if some of the heavier built car ports could work, or have a local welder or carpenter make you one of those 12' x whatever you need in length for you.
    No wider than 12', as that is all you can get a permit for oversize load and be hauled around down highways.

I'm in a similar situation--renting, want something we can take with us when we do eventually buy our own place, but need some shade for the summer since there are absolutely no trees in our pasture, and the run in shed we do have is only big enough for 3 or 4 horses. I've been looking around for different ideas and here's what I've come up with so far.

Shelterlogic.com Under their product tab, click equine and they have a variety of sizes and roof shapes. A friend of mine got one of their smaller run-ins for her two horses and it's held up great even through some pretty severe thunderstorms over the years. We are in SE Pennsylvania, so no real horrible weather other than thunderstorms. They are relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other ready made shelters.

Redneck solution In a Countryside magazine article, I saw where some people made a short term (they started out with it short term, but kept it for 4 or 5 years with no problems) cattle barn. They got the biggest, heaviest T-posts they could find, pounded them in, then wired/welded 16 foot hog panels to them to form an arch. Then they got commercial grade tarps and attached them to the hog panels for the roof. I was thinking this would work with buying the 12.5 oz fabric (like they use for the fabric roofed indoors) and using that instead of the tarps. Farmtek.com looks like it'll be the least expensive place with the most variety for the fabric/tarp material. They also have a variety of clips, fasteners, rachets, etc made just for use with the fabric/tarps.

Just the other day, I drove by a place that the day before had no run in sheds at all, so I figure these would be fast to put up. From one side it looked almost tepee-ish. The put a tall (maybe 12-15 foot?) pole in the ground then t-posts in a half circle around one side. To the t-posts, they somehow attached 2x4s (could be 2x6s) running to the top of the pole and attached with joist hangers like you would buy at Lowes. Then over everything they wrapped what looked like the fabric from Farmtek. Inside the shed, they attached plywood panels to the t-posts for kickboards.

If you are interested, I have pictures of the tepee-ish ones, and can probably find the issue of Countryside easily if you want the issue number. Good luck with whatever you decide, and if you find something unique or workable, please post it back. I'd be interested in seeing it.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Construct a simple T-shape and put a roof on it. They'll have shelter from every direction without feeling like they're in a cave.

Thanks Chestnut,please do send me pictures of the Tepee!
    Good to know about your friend's shelter logic run in,I had looked at them online and wondered how they held up,they are a possibility.
    Bluey,what kind of temporary shelters do you use,I lived in TX before,and anything that could handle TX winds.........!
    I live in SC and the weather here is pretty tame!
    Thanks everybody keep those suggestions rolling in.

We made our own and have sometimes dragged them for miles to a new location, or put a hitch and some wheels under one end and pulled them down the highway, slowly, to other places.
    We make two in two days, using old well pipe for the runners.
    First day the framing and some sheeting, next day finishing, pulling into place and setting them up:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2-20-07481.jpg

They are easy to make, the red metal are braces, we knock them off after setting them in place.
    For horses, we use outside plywood on the bottom 4'.
    The framing is made to accept that without gaps.

A few years ago, a 12' x 27' had about $700-$800 of material and labor in them.
    I see similar now for sale around here for close to $2000.

This company makes all kinds, also some to order, just what you want, as any kind of local welding shop can make for you:

http://gobobpipe.com/horsesheds.htm

Default Location?

I would suggest an outfit here in the NE area called Hillview Mini barns for your needs, but I don't know where you are located. They deliver these run ins locally; even the ones that are 12'x48' get hauled over the road.

http://www.hillviewminibarns.com/horse.php

Also ask around for local carpenters in your area; a competent one should be able to build one of these in less than a week.

Good point about the wind factor: I ended up building a replacement run in pole barn for my neighbor after a microburst used his old run in's roof as a sail and flipped the entire building over. I set the new barn's poles in concrete; it is still there after 9 years.
    Any portable can be anchored with concrete and chains.

Thumbs up

Here's my *redneck* one:
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../397376826.jpg

Tarp is a billboard (really strong) and I used Tposts and plywood for the sides and hog panels for the top - very easy to make and super cheap and it has actually survived 100 miles gusts and sustained 30 - 40 mph winds.

I have one for my hay storage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Here's my *redneck* one:
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL179.../397376826.jpg

Tarp is a billboard (really strong) and I used Tposts and plywood for the sides and hog panels for the top - very easy to make and super cheap and it has actually survived 100 miles gusts and sustained 30 - 40 mph winds.

I have one for my hay storage as well.
    Ok, I really like this! It is functional, and fairly cheap, so why not? I am in the same boat and would like to do something on the rented pasture I have (owner is ok with it). Question though. I don't see what is being used to support the arch in the roof or how the hog panels are attached to the "wall"/corral panel. Please advise as a I so need to do this!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Default Exactly it, Bearcat

Your "redneck" run in shed is exactly what was in the Countryside Magazine. How do you like it? Any pros or cons?
    Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Wood is sturdy, quiet and comfortable. I wouldn't put cloth or metal around horses.