The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation leg injury! begging for help here!

My mare took a fall, and now the inside of her back leg, just below the knee- has some swelling and a little bit of heat. I put an ice pack on it, and bandaged it (hopefully correctly ...) Unfortunately it is now the weekend, so I've got no veterinarian available. I tried to get DMSO as well, but it is only for prescription. ugh. I know with tendon injuries (if this is what I am dealing with, but I don't know), the first 48 hours is crucial... and I need advice!

thanks
    It's only up to you to smile!

She has knees on her back legs? Do you mean stifle? Ice is always correct as is cold hosing. You alternate 20 minutes on 20 minutes off. Keep her in the stall until you know what you are dealing with. I don't think you need DMSO but most tack stores carry it. It is not a prescription medication unless it is mixed with cortisone or sarapin.

OK. I'm assuming you mean on the inside of the hind leg, just below the hock. It could just be that she whacked it, or there is a cut- there is no way to tell the severity over the internet. Erring on the side of caution, I'd determine:

Is she lame on it?
    Is the swelling hard or soft?

If you honestly can't get a vet out until Monday, my approach would be to cold hose it for 20 minutes a few times per day, and keep the horse on stall rest, with standing wraps when not cold hosing (dry leg first).

Can you at least phone the vet and describe it to them?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You might want to leave the wraps off if you aren't familiar with wrapping legs, or find someone who is to show you how.