The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    For what it's worth there is no way to actually palpate the SI joint from the outside. Just because the horse shows no reaction on palpation does not mean there isn't an injury or problem much, much deeper down where the joint (really a mass of ligaments) sits. I think it is a very under-diagnosed problem in working horses.
    I have to second and third this. I spent two years chasing a mysterious "non-lameness" (no real single-leg red flags, just symptoms remarkably similar to those the OP described). My little mare NEVER has palpated sore around the SI joint, but sure enough, that was where one of her problems lay. Both soft-tissue and bone imaging were required.

My mare also has some cervical spine lesions, so that is worth looking into, as well. If you have a good massage therapist available, that can help both in helping your horse feel better muscularly and in possibly pinpointing areas to look into. A recurring issue at the origin of the splenius muscle on one side of my mare's neck is what spurred my vet to suggest the cervical x-ray series.

A note on soft tissue: A core lesion may not show swelling; a stoic horse may not show pain on palpation or flexions. This I learned the hard way! Now, if there is the slightest possible suspicion of a tendon/ligament injury, I get the sharpest lameness vet I know out with his/her u/s.

OP, best of luck to you and your fine old fellow!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    I have to second and third this. I spent two years chasing a mysterious "non-lameness" (no real single-leg red flags, just symptoms remarkably similar to those the OP described). My little mare NEVER has palpated sore around the SI joint, but sure enough, that was where one of her problems lay. Both soft-tissue and bone imaging were required.

My mare also has some cervical spine lesions, so that is worth looking into, as well. If you have a good massage therapist available, that can help both in helping your horse feel better muscularly and in possibly pinpointing areas to look into. A recurring issue at the origin of the splenius muscle on one side of my mare's neck is what spurred my vet to suggest the cervical x-ray series.

A note on soft tissue: A core lesion may not show swelling; a stoic horse may not show pain on palpation or flexions. This I learned the hard way! Now, if there is the slightest possible suspicion of a tendon/ligament injury, I get the sharpest lameness vet I know out with his/her u/s.

OP, best of luck to you and your fine old fellow!
    Thank you. Were there any specific symptoms besides stiffness? I have no idea what a cervical spine lesion is, and i'm a pre-vet major. oops. better go look that one up.

I also forgot to mention this fall he was found multiple times in the pasture with a mare he favored. the only way to get in was to jump the 4' pasture fence..which is why i think i was subconsciously thinking about his SI. He is a little 14'3 guy and is older...maybe some inflammation up in the sacral area?

yes, I second looking for neck lesions/arthritis. I'm guessing its like ulcers--more common then we realized 5 yrs ago

Would neck issues cause hind limb lameness?