The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what does trust between you and your horse look like?

I want to know what trust on both your part and your horses part looks like. My horse whom I've owned for 6 months has allowed me to do some awesome things including riding bareback and bridleless. He is not a bomb proof horse and he can be quite spooky so it isn't like he's a dead head. But somehow I know he trusts me and i trust him. I had a mare that was the most steady eddy ever but for some reason I just didn't trust her enough to ride her bridleless. What do you think?

Boosting his strangles vaccine unrestrained in a round pen. This is an intranasal vaccine so there's a cannula that's about 4 inches long.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I trust my horse, King, enough to let him carry my granddaughter around.

I trust my horse enough to let him give my mom a pony ride.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

When I'm done fixing fence on the faaaaaaar corner of the pasture, miss Apple will give me a ride back to the house, bareback and halterless.
    K-N-S Farm
    Daily Goat Videos & Pictures
    Website | Facebook | Youtube

I'm not sure if this really counts as trust, but one event that comes to mind involves a pony stallion, Max, that I had known and worked with for maybe half a dozen years by that time. It was a warm sunny afternoon and I was sitting in one of the fields where he was turned out with two or three mares for the summer. He left the group, sauntered over and plonked himself down right next to me and was soon flat out asleep. I like to think that he had chosen to sleep there because he felt safer in my presence or something soppy like that, but maybe the ground was just more comfy there.

Quote Originally Posted by fburton View Post
    I'm not sure if this really counts as trust, but one event that comes to mind involves a pony stallion, Max, that I had known and worked with for maybe half a dozen years by that time. It was a warm sunny afternoon and I was sitting in one of the fields where he was turned out with two or three mares for the summer. He left the group, sauntered over and plonked himself down right next to me and was soon flat out asleep. I like to think that he had chosen to sleep there because he felt safer in my presence or something soppy like that, but maybe the ground was just more comfy there.
    Awwww! They might have been his girlfriends, but YOU'RE his MOMMY!
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Walking 3 feet away from the scariest place you ever been (front porch of a huge manor house) because your hoof cracked all the way up to the coronet band and bloody and it was the shortest path to the barn...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Finnegan went over his chest bar on the trailer two weekend ago while I was in the barn. The trailer was rocking when I came running out.

The moment I opened the side escape door he stopped rearing and panicing and just relaxed drapped over the bar. It was like "Oh, Mommy is here. She will fix it"
    I was trusting enough to hop right up into the trailer in front of him to pull the chest bar pin.
    When he had four on the floor again he was shaking and wanted to be touching me. I tried to get off the trailer once to unload him and he got upset again. I was able to get out of the trailer a few minutes later and he didn't get upset as long as I talked to him as I walked the length of the trailer to the ramp.

There are not many horses that I would jump into the front of a trailer when the horse is over the chest bar. Yet I trusted he was not going to start scrambling and hurt me in the process.

Did I mention I love my Trail-et? Even with his weight on the chest bar I was able to pull the pin and drop the bar.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Finnegan went over his chest bar on the trailer two weekend ago while I was in the barn. The trailer was rocking when I came running out.

The moment I opened the side escape door he stopped rearing and panicing and just relaxed drapped over the bar. It was like "Oh, Mommy is here. She will fix it"
    I was trusting enough to hop right up into the trailer in front of him to pull the chest bar pin.
    When he had four on the floor again he was shaking and wanted to be touching me. I tried to get off the trailer once to unload him and he got upset again. I was able to get out of the trailer a few minutes later and he didn't get upset as long as I talked to him as I walked the length of the trailer to the ramp.

There are not many horses that I would jump into the front of a trailer when the horse is over the chest bar. Yet I trusted he was not going to start scrambling and hurt me in the process.

Did I mention I love my Trail-et? Even with his weight on the chest bar I was able to pull the pin and drop the bar.
    Gawd what a memory.

I rescued a horse that had his hind hoof hooked around the divider from over the top of a chest bar. Took something on the order of 26 minutes of struggling to get the pin out and free the horse, until the weld broke (we thought it was his leg) freeing up the pressure on the pin. I was working on the hoof end... while the other hoof was free to flail around in front of my face. Frequently I might add. Not our trailer, and I'll never own a head to head after that day.

I did put a trailer rescue kit together after that. Bolt cutters, forge hammers, cold chisel, and a crow bar. If I ever have to dive in after another horse, it'll hopefully take less than a minute.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Well, nothing as dramatic as the last two posts but - my horse was quite spooky when I got him, especially on the trails. Now when we are done with our ride and on our way back home I drop the reins completely and let him take me home. I trust him not to spook or speed up.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

When I introduce my horse to something that I know terrifies him, but he stands there for me anyway (albeit with a worried expression). Just him fighting the urge to take off tells me he's trying so hard to believe that I won't let anything hurt him.

This of course leads to massive guilt when I make a mistake and he gets a slight booboo for a decision (ie, nicking him with clippers) I've made.
    She who cares the least wins.....

When I'm on one of my girls out on the side of mountain somewhere and I look down at the "trail" and think how are we going to get down that okay? Then I point Belle or Esme me at it and say get us down that safe and sound and they say "yes ma'am". I know they trust me not to ask them to do something they can't do and I trust that they will get through whatever I ask of them safely.
    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

My mare lets me touch her "boobies" (at 307 days pregnant, so pretty grumpy these days) to acclimate her to her first foal nosing around and me trying to milk her for testing)

I put my little niece on her back at 4 months old and on while she stood loose in her stall.

We have done bareback and bridleless, but not in a long time (have more respect for my neck these days!)

Give shots in her neck loose in stall.

I trust my horse not to back down when I need to push him through something - gallop down the long side? No problem.

I think he trusts me because he'll let me calm him down after he's spooked at something. Me to him: "It's just a closed door, silly." Him to me: "Oh yeah, now I see."

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

This post touches home with me! Me and my First horse had major Trust issues. He would randomly buck me off about 6 times a year. Being a beginner I never did learn to stick those "crow hops" over jumps and at the canter. However I was never really scared to ride him bareback and bridless. People at the barn thought I was crazy but he never bucked while riding bareback. I always seemed to know when it was coming & he never seemed to do it when he knew I "needed" a good ride. But my trainer finally talked me into selling him to get something more suitable for me and to help me progress faster. But I would take him back in a heartbeat. I regret selling him every day of my life!
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xQHDQ View Post
    I trust my horse not to back down when I need to push him through something - gallop down the long side? No problem.

I think he trusts me because he'll let me calm him down after he's spooked at something. Me to him: "It's just a closed door, silly." Him to me: "Oh yeah, now I see."
    This, too. Amazing what a few years will do.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

In our ultra-muddy paddocks, the horses' turnout sheets end up trashed. The other day in crossties, when I pulled the sheet off my QH, the loose back straps tangled in his muddy tail and the entire sheet fell to a heap right behind his back legs. I had to crouch down next to his legs, work my hands between his legs and tail, move the sheet around on the floor and pull at the muddy straps still stuck in his tail.

He never budged a muscle, nor did he even look concerned.

For various reasons, my friend was riding my horse (who is spooky and not brave) a few years ago. I was riding her horse. We came to a bridge on the trail that was maybe three feet wide with no railing and about 15 feet off the ground. We had to cross it and go up a hill.

My friend tried first on my horse. No go. I tried on her horse. No go. She got off and tried to lead my horse. Nope, not going. I tried to lead her horse. Didn't work.

I said, "Let's switch our horse back." I jumped on my horse and she never hesitated, we went right across the bridge and my friend followed on her horse. THAT was the day I realized my spooky horse trusted me.

Sometimes she will stop and paw before going down a hill. I'm not sure why, and I could force her, but I don't. I think it hurts her somewhere. I get off and walk down and up the hill and get back on. I listen to her opinion sometimes too. I've ridden her bareback all over the trails, up and down so it's not that she's being contrary when she stops and paws. I really think she is telling me that something hurts on THIS day.

A most curious thing happened to me and mine lately. This is a horse I bred and raised. He's been my main ride for 10 years and is 13.

I decided to try bareback and bridleless. (He's trained to the nines, plus neck reined) He HATES it. He doesn't know what to do even though he's leg trained. He keeps reaching for a bit that is not there and then the confusion starts. It's amazing really. He seems to searching for his leader and his normally extreme confidence is gone.