The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post LIVE NOW! VDL STUD'S AUCTION live 7pm thursday night!!!

on VDL stud's auction Facebook page!!Enjoy!!
    Last edited by karin@dutchbreeders@aol.com; Mar. 1, 2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: add facebook!
    Sporting Chance Farm/Dr Carlos and Karin Jimenez
    Breeders of International Quality KWPN Horses
    2006 KWPN-NA Breeders of the Year/2006 Res CH USDF DSHB Breeders Year
    www.sportingchancefarm.com

can you post a link

http://www.vdlauction.com/live_stream.html

But it won't work for me. Says license limit exceeded.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

It won't work for me either

Wow, that was a successful auction. They did better than the Stallion Auction Show last month in Holland! Congratulations to VDL for doing such a good job!
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

First off - Congratulations to Hyperion stud on the purchase of Dakota VDL!!

I believe the auction total was around 1.5million.

The highest bid was for Dakota (210K), with only 6 horses sold below the 100K mark (lowest being 55K) and one horse not sold due to injury.

So roughly 110K as an average price/horse.
    Last edited by mikali; Mar. 1, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

link didn't work and then when it DID - all sold - well yahoo bidders!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    link didn't work and then when it DID - all sold - well yahoo bidders!
    I figured that might happen so I registered to bid and did absentee voting... Unfortunatley, I did not win the horses that I bid on.
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Congrats to all the buyers and of course the seller. That said I find it interesting that there are so many people willing to pay 100k on 4yo horses simply due to being imported and labeled VDL. I have two fantastic jumpers in my barn right now who are just as nice and nobody wants to even pay half that in spite of talent, training, and show mileage.

It is great to see good prices for quality youngsters but still indicative of the pervasive mindset that imports are worth more money. JMHO.
    Last edited by buschkn; Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I feel your frustration, but in this case there is more to this auction than a bunch of horses IMPORTED from Europe. VDL Stud is known around the world as one of the leading breeders of sucessful International Jumping Horses! They are a KNOWN SOURCE of Superior Jumping Bloodlines. Yes, we have produced many good jumpers with similar bloodlines. Judgement comes imediately to mind. We lack the quantity and consistency that VDL Stud possesses. The buyers have confidence in this product, and they seem willing to pay for it.

What really stood out to me was the dam lines on some of these horses. These mares do not just have big name great sires, and dam sires, but they have produced high level horses, approved stallions, are sisters to high level horses, or approved stallions etc, etc.

For example,the mother of Dakar - by Cardento, sold for 120k - has also produced an approved stallion.

The mother of Diarado by Indoctro (120k), has produced a 1.60 horse and a 1.50 horse and younger horses who have been national champions.

etc, etc. . .

Having said that, I was still surprised by how much they were selling for. I would like to say that you could buy the same horse in Europe for less but I dont really know that. I can say VDL selected some of the best for their auction and picked for the american market as well - recognizable, popular bloodlines, classic technique with scope, strong damlines, all of them had a good lead change, pretty heads - clearly a showcase for their product.

Congratulation to VDL and everyone involved in such a successful event.

What a great auction for eveyone involved!
    Prima Equestrian
    KWPN GOLD Level Breeder
    www.primaequestrian.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PrimaEquestrian

This is a great concept, and bravo to VDL and ESP for bringing this concept here to the USA and proving it to be a legitimate vehicle to bring buyer and seller together.

Note that the horses for this sale were preselected, not a random sample; the quality was high. It bodes well for the future of US sport horse breeding that buyers will pay for that sort of quality in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    This is a great concept, and bravo to VDL and ESP for bringing this concept here to the USA and proving it to be a legitimate vehicle to bring buyer and seller together.

Note that the horses for this sale were preselected, not a random sample; the quality was high. It bodes well for the future of US sport horse breeding that buyers will pay for that sort of quality in this way.
    A rising tide floats all boats!

While sceptical last year, we are now enthusiastic supporters. I do believe that VDL and their Colombian partners are showing us the way as to how we can market and sell here in the US. We welcome the quality they brought over and the prices it has commanded.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

VDL brought more than good prospects, they brought Europe to America, expertise and most important we feel we can trust them. Trust, this takes time and work.

They have been here for many years; working the ‘base’ I would say. They facilitated the sales of many horses, provided us interesting stallions with frozen semen, gave good services, handle horses in a professional way in keuring etc... This is a long term relationship and they worked hard to establish themselves so they harvest what they have seeded.

These are young horses and what you see is what you get. As much as I consider good bloodline particularly from the dam line essential, at this point it doesn’t really matters except for the mare and the stallion of course but most were geldings.

I have no doubt that we could find 15 horses here in America that could equal to this quality but it is not a matter of only having good horses, but building a reputation. I am sure that if we gather 15 as good quality horses as those one, we would not attain these prices, why? Trust.

Each seller, each breeder have to work as hard to establish this kind of relationship with one to one customer. It is not easy, we all know people being screwed by trainers, breeders, sellers. Breeding top quality horses here in America is a much harder work, a lot of dedication but is feasible. But to reach the same level of marketing as VDL, this has to go hand in hand with a very high reputation.

And our tiny winy breeding farms, we need to have the same goal. I don’t want and can’t afford to have anyone, anywhere saying anything against their purchase of one of my horses. I want them to have full faith in me but this is not something that come easy, you have to earn it, and each sale is a step toward that goal.

And I believe this is the success of VDL, all across America.
    Last edited by bloomingtonfarm; Mar. 2, 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    VDL brought more than good prospects, they brought Europe to America, expertise and most important we feel we can thrust them. Thrust, this takes time and work.

They have been here for many years; working the ‘base’ I would say. They facilitated the sales of many horses, provided us interesting stallions with frozen semen, gave good services, handle horses in a professional way in keuring etc... This is a long term relationship and they worked hard to establish themselves so they harvest what they have seeded.

These are young horses and what you see is what you get. As much as I consider good bloodline particularly from the dam line essential, at this point it doesn’t really matters except for the mare and the stallion of course but most were geldings.

I have no doubt that we could find 15 horses here in America that could equal to this quality but it is not a matter of only having good horses, but building a reputation. I am sure that if we gather 15 as good quality horses as those one, we would not attain these prices, why? Thrust.

Each seller, each breeder have to work as hard to establish this kind of relationship with one to one customer. It is not easy, we all know people being screwed by trainers, breeders, sellers. Breeding top quality horses here in America is a much harder work, a lot of dedication but is feasible. But to reach the same level of marketing as VDL, this has to go hand in hand with a very high reputation.

And our tiny winy breeding farms, we need to have the same goal. I don’t want and can’t afford to have anyone, anywhere saying anything against their purchase of one of my horses. I want them to have full faith in me but this is not something that come easy, you have to earn it, and each sale is a step toward that goal.

And I believe this is the success of VDL, all across America.
    THIS exactly IMO.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Does anyone have all of the results from the auction or are they online somewhere? I did not see them.

Here are the Final Results for the first Wellington VDL Auction!

1. Dakar VDL $ 120,000
    2. Dakota VDL $ 210,000
    3. Defender JWB $ 70,000
    5. Diorado VDL $ 110,000
    6. Diardo $ 120,000
    7. Dimitri $ 90,000
    8. Dior $ 75,000
    9. Discovery O $ 145,000
    10. Doman $ 55,000
    11. Dorado VDL $ 90,000
    12. Dornick $ 75,000
    13. Douplesse WH $ 135,000
    14. Dundee $ 100,000
    16. Brimara $ 150,000

TOTAL $1,545,000

AVERAGE $110,357
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Great results. Looks to me as if the recession was definitely over.

Is the VDL partner really Colombian? What does Colombia have to do with horse breeding and training?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yes, the marketing genius comes from the synergies between VDL and the Colombian marketing professional who, with his brother in Colombia, is also well connected to the horse industry there.Very pleasant people but business people for sure.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook