The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adding GGT to existing footing? Costs?

Planning to do some work to my outdoor this year and I'm looking at the GGT footing.

I have a 110 x 200 arena with manufactured limestone sand. I'm thinking of enlarging the ring to 130 x 200 and adding GGT. I've contacted them by email and am waiting to hear back but am curious to hear about experiences with adding this to existing sand footing and the costs associated.

TR,

Search the forums (I think Around the Farm, but am not 100%). There is someone on here who rehabs arenas and installs new ones, and I know I have read posts about them using that product. I think even about adding it.

My old BO looked into adding it to her arena (she has a coarse granite sand--which I don't think is ideal with GGT?). It was the maitenance and buying a different arena groomer (I think they recommended a Parma) that turned her off for now, more than the cost of the stuff if I recall correctly.

I would love to know what you find out, btw.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

AdAblurr02is the COTHer out here in the PNW that distributes the GGT, so I bet she could give you some information.

I got a return phone call, an email quote and a lot of good information very quickly from the rep. Sending off a sand sample from the ring this week to see if they can help me.

I love my GGT footing! I have a 150' x 200' arena that had about 8 yr old washed concrete sand in it when we bought the place. The rep came out and said the sand was good enough to use less of the GGT than was normally recommended, but it would still cost $7500. I ended up going with a little over 1/2 that which came to 4000lbs and spread it myself. It turned out very nice. I can always add more, but so far I'm happy with the amount I have. They recommend 10% moisture. I have sprinklers, so I water and drag before I ride. I found the used parma on craigslist and it works well with it.