The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by skittlespony View Post
    I know that I was taught by my elders that if you don't like what someone has to say, ignore them and walk away. To be honest its not that hard.
    Bolding et all is mine.

Start practicing what you're preaching because, once again, you're going down the same road. Re-read the first page of this topic. Yes there were a few people who held your past against you (can't blame them), but you also received solid, reputable, realistic advice from others. If you were taught to walk away from/ignore something you don't want to hear DO IT.

Believe me, I know what it is like to be a teenager with champagne goals and a beer budget (or, in my case, more like a Boone's Farm budget ). I am not much older than you now, in my early 20s, and I can still vividly remember the physical pain I felt over not being able to show as much or afford as much as the girls I rode with. I also had lofty dreams of being able to find a catch ride on a 3'6" horse because I deserved it so much more than those other girls. But why - because I struggled? Because I spent hours every Saturday working in the barn? I eventually learned that none of the mattered in the Big EQ ring or the Junior Hunter ring. And eventually I learned that just because I couldn't show at WEF every winter or ride with Andre didn't mean that I couldn't love and enjoy horses. So instead of whining on COTH or yelling at "these people" (god I hate the term "you people") I went to the barn. I played the ponies I did get to ride who were not 6 figure horses by any means, but had a lot to teach me in their own right. I fed alongside my trainer. I cleaned tack right next to the girls who DID get to go to Florida every year and I found out they had problems and struggles of their own and we became situational friends. I watched my trainer ride and learned a lot. I went to endless horse shows and a lot of times I didn't ride for the entire weekend, but I cheered on my friends and I got to watch a ton of really really good riders ride. And I learned the ins and outs of the show world (which makes me a very valuable member of the barn now). And sometimes I did get to ride - sometimes it was the crappiest, ugliest horse with the meanest stop and sometimes it was a nice sales horse, but either way I was honored and ECSTATIC to have the ride. Because believe me you, no matter how crappy the horse is and how much of a "favor" you think you're doing for the owner, there's another kid out there who wants the ride just as bad and will do it with a better attitude. So I always said thank you and I never blamed ugly crap-head (terms of endearment, I swear) for our mistakes in the ring.

And now I'm a 20-something and guess what? I never did make it to the Big EQ ring. But if I had, I would have probably made a fool of myself anyway. No I wouldn't have fallen off and yes I probably could have piloted the course, but no where near as well as those girls who I used to say "didn't deserve it like I did". I still don't have a 3'6 horse - in fact I don't have any horse now because boyfriends and college and dogs and trying to eat something other than pop tarts now and then has gotten in the way. But I still have a good attitude and I still sit on anything with a smile on my face and I get rides. Usually not the best ones, but sometimes I do get to sit on a really nice horse and either way I ALWAYS hand back the reins with a huge, genuine "thank you".

So yeah, realizing that you're not going to accomplish your initial goals sucks. It's hard. And it hurts. And sometimes you want to give up. But not giving up marks the difference between the people who will accomplish SOMETHING and the ones who will accomplish nada. And that's why they say you should shoot for the moon - if you don't make it, you'll land among the stars. What the heck is wrong with a 3' goal for now? The 3'6" divisions don't disappear when you turn 18. You have your whole life to make a lot of money and buy nice horses and jump big fences and show against the best of the best. So for now, suck it up and realize that these big mean people of COTH aren't being mean for the sake of killing a kid's dreams. They're being realistic because they have been there and they have accomplished goals and they KNOW what it takes.

And the thing that will set you apart in the horse world (other than money) is attitude. And frankly my dear, yours sucks. So revamp or expect a lot of disappointment to come.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Right, but then as someone else said refer to the "Dear George" thread where the OP was jumped on for criticizing a kid's equitation.
    Yes, but in the "Dear George" thread the kid involved was an innocent bystander - someone chosen at random and criticized.

In this thread, the kid is an active and antagonistic participant.

There's a difference.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

So yeah, realizing that you're not going to accomplish your initial goals sucks. It's hard. And it hurts. And sometimes you want to give up. But not giving up marks the difference between the people who will accomplish SOMETHING and the ones who will accomplish nada. And that's why they say you should shoot for the moon - if you don't make it, you'll land among the stars. What the heck is wrong with a 3' goal for now? The 3'6" divisions don't disappear when you turn 18. You have your whole life to make a lot of money and buy nice horses and jump big fences and show against the best of the best. So for now, suck it up and realize that these big mean people of COTH aren't being mean for the sake of killing a kid's dreams. They're being realistic because they have been there and they have accomplished goals and they KNOW what it takes.

And the thing that will set you apart in the horse world (other than money) is attitude. And frankly my dear, yours sucks. So revamp or expect a lot of disappointment to come.

All I can say is... AMEN!

ponies123 - Thank you for saying essentially everything I wanted to say, but much more eloquently than I would've been able to say it.

Please, OP, realize that you have to take some of what is said here with a grain of salt, but you have been given A LOT of good advice throughout your posting history here. It might not be exactly what you would like to hear, but there are a lot of knowledgable, helpful people posting on COTH. Learn from them.

Well said, GingerJumper.

Yes I do realize what I had said. But my point right now is who are you to tell me to revamp my goals. People were telling me what to do, and being quite rude about it too. Everyone was almost forcing the 3' goal down my throat, yo all could have ignored it but you chose to elevate a situation.
    People were not telling you what to do, people were offering you advice based on the info you provided. That might include revamping your goals. The only reason people might offer you such advice is based on their experiences and opinions, which is essentially what you asked for. YOUR choice is to take that advice or to leave it.

Your upset that I lied and turned it around but what choice did you give me. Everyone was being vicious attacking me with text, and shoving things down my throat. Im sorry but you people caused the problem.
    I wasted half my day perusing the past threads you have posted and still cannot believe you went to such great lengths to lie, even when you now 'admit' it. I'm an incurable optimist and naive; it just baffles me that someone would do this. I don't understand.

It is time for you to take responsibility for your own actions, OP. From the perspective of someone on the outside, who only read your previous threads and did not participate: "you people" did NOT cause the problem. YOU did, OP. You, and only you. YOU made the choice to lie, YOU made the choice to create an alter, YOU made the choice to behave the way you did. No one held a gun to your head.

And I am sick and tired of people giving the OP a pass on her behaviour because she is only 15 or 16 or whatever. She sounds like a behavioural disorder on its way. I recently dealt with one of 'these' - she was leasing one of my horses *shiver* Yes, she is a child but the OP is still accountable for her own actions - how else does she learn? Own up to your actions, OP. Certain members of this board might not have acted appropriately either, but that does NOT excuse your own actions.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

The reason is because I had a legit question and I hoped people would just answer it and forget about the other stuff. I only wanted the answer to a question, not an ultimatum :\
    You hoped people would just answer it even though you recently tricked them and lied to them? REALLY??

Note: when you treat people poorly, they don't forget. They SHOULDN'T forget, else they allow it to happen all over again. A lot of people took time out of their day to graciously answer your queries, only to find out they had been strung along and lied to. Given your behaviour, you do NOT deserve any answers!!!! If you want answers and for people to forgive and forget, do what everyone does when they do wrong: APOLOGIZE. Take responsibility for your own actions, don't pass the blame to "you people", apologize, and earn peoples' respect back if you want them to treat you with any respect and take the time out of THEIR day to help you.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I'm trying SO hard to figure out who the grown ups are here. It's getting more difficult every day.

If you don't like skittlespony, put her on ignore. The more you argue/debate/feed her, the more she will go on.

Ponies123,

Very well said... you sound like a very mature young lady.

Skittlespony - take a lesson from her. We have tried to give you sound advice, but you get very defensive. You seem to have unrealistic expectations. Many of us had to give up the dream of winning the Maclay or getting to the Olympics. We're not trying to stomp on your dream, we are just trying to get you to be realistic. You can have all the talent, money and desire in the world and still not make it - and from the things you have posted, you are behind the eight ball already.

At some point you decide to be an adult, appreciate what you have - and if you want more, you work your a** off for it.

As for the people who say we adults are attacking her... the OP has gotten the benefit of the doubt more than once. She continues to post ridiculous stuff... it always becomes a trainwreck.... one would think she would learn by now.

(big sigh) Carry on....