The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I don't think that asking a theoretical question that doesn't necessarily pertain to you is "wasting our time." This is, after all, an internet BB.

Shipping and quarantine are not cheap, so looking for better deals in Europe only makes sense if your budget is high enough. For example, it wouldn't make sense to go to Europe if your budget was 20K, since half of it would be eaten by importing costs.

I've heard 40K-50K is about the "break-even" for considering going abroad but that is well beyond my experience, having never done so myself.

Also, you need very good contacts over there, esp with language differences, etc. Horse buying is sketchy everywhere, but if you are shipping to another continent, never to be seen again, it can be even more difficult to find an honest seller.
    Thank you for this information! I think like another person suggested maybe I will be checking out some horses in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

Default To be Fair to the OP...

I guess I should respond to your post and the question that was originally asked.

In my opinion, based on doing a little research when a friend was looking into importing, it is still very expensive and much more time consuming to do the import thing. Also, I agree with the other posters that said that you need a reputable contact/representative/agent to help you find good horses with good trainers and to help you with the language barrier.

With that said, if you've got the money and the time, go for it. Usually, the people that are importing the young prospects are training them and then selling them here, so they are not in a real hurry to find something right now. If they go shopping and they find something, they buy it and bring it along as an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    I guess I should respond to your post and the question that was originally asked.

In my opinion, based on doing a little research when a friend was looking into importing, it is still very expensive and much more time consuming to do the import thing. Also, I agree with the other posters that said that you need a reputable contact/representative/agent to help you find good horses with good trainers and to help you with the language barrier.

With that said, if you've got the money and the time, go for it. Usually, the people that are importing the young prospects are training them and then selling them here, so they are not in a real hurry to find something right now. If they go shopping and they find something, they buy it and bring it along as an investment.
    The buying of a young prospect to sell as an investment is actually a pretty good Idea. Thank you very much!

Anyone have a link with the alter names and the back and forth that has stirred up so much trouble with the OP?

I have looked at some of the, ahem, more "deep" threads involving VPL and Styling of polos, breeches, and belts, but I have yet to find the deception and dastardly deeds thread.

By chance, was it the "I'm dying to make it big in the horse world" or something like that? I think I am remembering the carnage from that trainwreck.

Thanks, I feel out of the loop, but I am still entertained, nonetheless.
    There was speculation that the last "dying to make it" brouhaha was skittlespony, but alas it was not. Sadly, the bulk of her drama was under her alter, which I believe has actually been deleted, so I don't think you can read those threads any more. But contrary to what the OP said, they were very nice threads -- albeit *realistic* -- that included a lot of great information and helpful suggestions.

Anyone have a link with the alter names and the back and forth that has stirred up so much trouble with the OP?

I have looked at some of the, ahem, more "deep" threads involving VPL and Styling of polos, breeches, and belts, but I have yet to find the deception and dastardly deeds thread.

By chance, was it the "I'm dying to make it big in the horse world" or something like that? I think I am remembering the carnage from that trainwreck.

Thanks, I feel out of the loop, but I am still entertained, nonetheless.
    http://chronofhorse.com/forum/search...rchid=12518793

The first two locked threads here were the train wrecks.

A different person started the train wreck you're referring to, I believe.

The previous threads also make good "context reading."
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Default Oooooh

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    There was speculation that the last "dying to make it" brouhaha was skittlespony, but alas it was not. Sadly, the bulk of her drama was under her alter, which I believe has actually been deleted, so I don't think you can read those threads any more. But contrary to what the OP said, they were very nice threads -- albeit *realistic* -- that included a lot of great information and helpful suggestions.
    Gotcha... Thanks for the update. I thought I was missing something...

The dollar doesn't go very far against the euro these days (although, hey, maybe Greece's financial difficulties will send it crashing and then EVERYONE can get a great deal), so you're unlikely to get a great bargain. I think the last exchange rate I saw was 1.25 dollars/ 1 euro (so if you see a horse priced at 12,000 euro, it'll be about $15k) Importing will add another significant chunk to the price of the horse, as will commission. A person would be unwise to buy without a good agent who has contacts. Some countries may also charge sales tax and/or VAT.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Nope, not deleted I posted a link to the username's started posts--looks like we posted at the same time, lol
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by skittlespony View Post
    Excuse me! Where are the the people in my life that should be teaching me that its totally fine for other people to be rude and curt to me, but I can't be rude back. I'm pretty sure if someone was being rude to you, you would fire back too.
    And where are the people teaching you that: no, it's not ok to lie and fib and no the past does NOT go away quickly and easily!

For once why don't you just come onto the internet and create a post saying something like "Dear Cothers, I know in the past I've done some incredibly dumb and stupid posts and for that I apologize. I would like to start fresh and I really have learnt a valuable life lesson. I realize that I can't change what I've posted in the past, but I really would like to stay part of this community and hope that any future posts will not reflect what I've done previously".

THIS, will get you accepted back and THIS will probably stop the you are currently getting!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

not to get involved in the drama (although it is amusing) my trainer recently imported one from Europe and when all was said and done, I believe the costs for quarantine/shipping was around $12K. Quarantine periods do differ between geldings and mares too, so you have to factor that cost in. Also, depending on where you are in the US you do have to factor in the cost of shipping to you when the horse arrives on US soil. Basically, its expensive . If you have a limited budget I definitely think you will find more than nice enough prospects/horses from US breeders/sellers.

There was no such thing as helpful suggestions, try shoot downs.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Nope, not deleted I posted a link to the username's started posts--looks like we posted at the same time, lol
    It's not working

As to answer the OP's question unless you have at least 60k to spend I wouldn't even bother looking in Europe. Good horses even young prospects aren't cheap. Take some time and look around your area or Canada. There are a lot of nice horse in the states. You just have to be willing to take the time and look.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Going back to the original post, I don't know why anyone on a budget wouldn't get a TB. If you don't have the facility/skills/time for an OTTB there are still a ton of VERY nice thoroughbreds that are going for much less than I would expect. Take advantage of the fact that warmbloods are very "in" right now. You can easily find a TB with experience at 3'6'' for much much less than you would import one for. Might not be the next Maclay winner, but some could definitely get you experience and ribbons in the division. A lot of people lease a top bigeq horse for finals anyway, bc they can't afford one year round.

(I don't know that the bigeq is your goal, you just mentioned a girl you know getting a bigeq-type horse. Of you're looking for a jumper you're in even better shape...3'6''+ TB jumpers are everywhere right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by skittlespony View Post
    There was no such thing as helpful suggestions, try shoot downs.
    Realism, sweetie. Realism.

You wanted to free lease a 3'6" horse to get you to the Big Eq finals by 2013 when you were currently jumping 2'6". First you were given a dose of reality, then people tried to talk to you about revamping your goals -- we suggested exercise riding, making a 3' goal, etc...

Why don't we let everyone judge for themselves:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=321930

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=322127

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=321659

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=280689

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=280688

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=324231

Realism, sweetie. Realism.

You wanted to free lease a 3'6" horse to get you to the Big Eq finals by 2013 when you were currently jumping 2'6". First you were given a dose of reality, then people tried to talk to you about revamping your goals -- we suggested exercise riding, making a 3' goal, etc...

Why don't we let everyone judge for themselves:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=321930

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=322127

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=321659

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=280689

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=280688

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=324231
    Anyone else think this is a little bit of overkill? This is a child we're talking about. Made a stupid stupid mistake, sounded extremely ignorant, I get it. And skittlespony was definitely naive to think they could just post here without it being brought up again and again (I really don't understand why she still continues to post with such an infamous name...)

But aren't we supposed to be adults? By the vigor with which AmmyByNature is attacking her, I would think Ammy was personally wronged. She's a kid who made a dumb mistake. But I'm now seeing some people (some, not all!) acting much more mature in this thread right now...I'm bracing to get flamed but it just seems a little unnecessary.
    Last edited by Rel6; Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Meh, not personally wronged. But I did have a lot of time invested in the OP's previous adventures, and her attitude bugs. She doesn't learn, she is rude, and she told lies upon lies upon lies. And from her attitude, she hasn't changed.

But you're right. I shouldn't continue the drama. You know how we all get personally invested in these boards -- and I am aggravated by her attitude and the fact that she hasn't learned from her past actions. But I should be the one who doesn't reply, since I am an adult.

Which I will start doing right now

Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    My response: "Huh? what the.... BAHAHAHAHA!!"

thanks to everyone here for making my lunch break SO entertaining!