The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Importing?

Just had a couple questions about importing a horse to assure myself.

1. Is it cheaper to Import a nice warmblood than to buy one?
    2. How much does it cost just to Import?
    3. Why are Warmbloods so cheap in Europe I have seen really nice ones for $10,000 USD?
    4. Is it worth it to go through the trouble of Importing?

Just asking a few questions because I am debating whether or not it would be worth it for me to import a horse or not?
    TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

I hate to drag up the past, but only a few months ago, hadn't you just bought a saddle that was so expensive you couldn't afford even a cheap horse, and now you're asking about importing one? Color me confused...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

The past is the past and I really don't care about that now. Situations change over time, and now I have a new Ideas. All I really want to know is the question I asked, Im not concerned about what I said before.

Quote Originally Posted by skittlespony View Post
    Just had a couple questions about importing a horse to assure myself.

1. Is it cheaper to Import a nice warmblood than to buy one?
    2. How much does it cost just to Import?
    3. Why are Warmbloods so cheap in Europe I have seen really nice ones for $10,000 USD?
    4. Is it worth it to go through the trouble of Importing?

Just asking a few questions because I am debating whether or not it would be worth it for me to import a horse or not?
    TIA!
    For reals?

You really should consider changing your screen name. I don't think you're going to get the kind of replies that you want if you stick with "skittlespony." Too much history.

ETA I'm glad to see that you've apparently become independently wealthy in the past two months, though. Go you!

it costs a considerable amount to important and quarantine a horse. Plus you would have to travel to Europe and see the horse yourself (unless you are working with a reputable person who has connections and knows your riding) I've never imported before, but I know quarantine alone can cost upwards of 5k, I'd say if you bought a 10k horse, expect to spend 25k between importing/quarantine and going to see the horse etc. Maybe some other COTHers who have imported before have more solid number for you, but when I crunched the numbers, it didn't make sense for me to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    ETA I'm glad to see that you've apparently become independently wealthy in the past two months, though. Go you!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

sigh.........and once again she's rude and curt but here's a thought for you:

Even if you do happen to find a steal of a deal (and it's not likely ) can you afford to bring the horse back across the pond. If you have a pallet to yourself and can't find or know anyone to share with you, add at least $10,000 to the price.....plus quarantine! PLUS the fact that the US$ just doesn't go as far anymore......sigh..........much cheaper and easier to look around N. America and buy.....or lease.....sigh..........
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

The reason I ask is because Im not exactly filthy rich but this girl I know was looking for a big eq horse. She ended up going to Europe to possibly import a horse. She wasn't filthy rich either and couldn't afford the $50,000++ dollar Big Eq horse that you would get here in the USA. She bought a horse from Europe for 1/4 of the price it would have cost. The horse just from the training it received in Europe is just about as good of quality as a lot of the Big Eq horses here. This horse is also only 5.

The reason I ask is because Im not exactly filthy rich but this girl I know was looking for a big eq horse. She ended up going to Europe to possibly import a horse. She wasn't filthy rich either and couldn't afford the $50,000++ dollar Big Eq horse that you would get here in the USA. She bought a horse from Europe for 1/4 of the price it would have cost. The horse just from the training it received in Europe is just about as good of quality as a lot of the Big Eq horses here. This horse is also only 5.
    There is SO much wrong here. It starts with "this girl I know" and goes downhill from there...

There is SO much wrong here. It starts with "this girl I know" and goes downhill from there...
    Please inform me as to why you think it goes downhill from "this girl I know". I'm not going to disclose peoples names to other people on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    sigh.........and once again she's rude and curt but here's a thought for you:

Even if you do happen to find a steal of a deal (and it's not likely ) can you afford to bring the horse back across the pond. If you have a pallet to yourself and can't find or know anyone to share with you, add at least $10,000 to the price.....plus quarantine! PLUS the fact that the US$ just doesn't go as far anymore......sigh..........much cheaper and easier to look around N. America and buy.....or lease.....sigh..........
    Excuse me! Where are the the people in my life that should be teaching me that its totally fine for other people to be rude and curt to me, but I can't be rude back. I'm pretty sure if someone was being rude to you, you would fire back too.

Importing costs are around:
    $7000 to import and quarantine
    horse prices are all over the board, you can spend as much or as little as you'd like.
    We import warmbloods mainly because we haven't found the same quality here. But if we found a horse here we would be happy to buy it as well.

You're not going to get some kind of crazy deal on a European horse. Do they have lots of nice quality young PROSPECTS? Yes. A quality 4 year old could cost you 15k dollars and up. A quality 5 year old 20k and up. And on from there. The cost to import will run you 10-12k by the time you add shipping from quarantine to your farm.

The question is, do you have any business with a young warmblood prospect? Your friend bought a prospect, not a finished Eq horse. A prospect has "potential" and that's all. The horse may or may not jump 3'6", be brave, and all the rest- hence, it may or may not live up to the potential. And all of the training and show mileage cost plenty. Add that to the cost of the prospect.

I have imported prospects for myself. My rider can ride a slow one, a fast one, a spooky one, a tough one and everything in between. We have a lot of experience producing a finished show horse from a squirrely prospect. I have never imported, without riding, a prospect for a client. Way too risky.

So adding up the cost of travelling to Europe, the purchase price of a quality horse, plus the import costs- hmm, you should probably stick to this side of the pond.

AmmyByNature I saw your last post and I agree with whole heartedly. If you call being abrupt, impolite, ungracious, and unmannerly being polite than I think you need to re-think things a little.

I don't think that asking a theoretical question that doesn't necessarily pertain to you is "wasting our time." This is, after all, an internet BB.

Shipping and quarantine are not cheap, so looking for better deals in Europe only makes sense if your budget is high enough. For example, it wouldn't make sense to go to Europe if your budget was 20K, since half of it would be eaten by importing costs.

I've heard 40K-50K is about the "break-even" for considering going abroad but that is well beyond my experience, having never done so myself.

Also, you need very good contacts over there, esp with language differences, etc. Horse buying is sketchy everywhere, but if you are shipping to another continent, never to be seen again, it can be even more difficult to find an honest seller.

AmmyByNature I saw your last post and I agree with whole heartedly. If you call being abrupt, impolite, ungracious, and unmannerly being polite than I think you need to re-think things a little.
    Um, since you brought it up, I suppose I should repost the essence of what I deleted because I thought I was being too hard on you.

What I said (and then deleted) was that people were nice to you for a few thousand posts, but that when we find out that someone is lying through her teeth and wasting everyone's time, we do tend to get a bit cranky.

And now to add to it, again, only since you brought it up:

People WERE polite to you. And helpful. And wrote long, involved, and well thought out posts. Then we found out that you had one of the most involved, fascinating, and deceptive alter battles I've seen in a long time. Complete with the "my enemy hacked my account and made an alter" excuse.

Again, I had deleted my post because I thought I was being hard on the OP. But since she brought it up, I guess it's fair game.

The past is the past and I really don't care about that now. Situations change over time, and now I have a new Ideas. All I really want to know is the question I asked, Im not concerned about what I said before.
    Well, fiddle dee dee! I'll think about that tomorrow.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Um, since you brought it up, I suppose I should repost the essence of what I deleted because I thought I was being too hard on you.

What I said (and then deleted) was that people were nice to you for a few thousand posts, but that when we find out that someone is lying through her teeth and wasting everyone's time, we do tend to get a bit cranky.

And now to add to it, again, only since you brought it up:

People WERE polite to you. And helpful. And wrote long, involved, and well thought out posts. Then we found out that you had one of the most involved, fascinating, and deceptive alter battles I've seen in a long time. Complete with the "my enemy hacked my account and made an alter" excuse.

Again, I had deleted my post because I thought I was being hard on the OP. But since she brought it up, I guess it's fair game.
    People may have had well thought out posts, I'll give you that. They were also long and involved posts. Involved in making someone feel upset about something they had wanted to do for a long time. Just because people believe someone is never going to be able to do something doesn't mean they should completely shoot them down and tell them it will never happen. I would have been completely fine if people had just said "sorry I can't help you" or even said nothing at all. To be honest the most annoying part to me was when a bunch of grown up women started ganging up and picking on a kid. To be completely honest you people should have been the more mature ones to ignore it and continue on with your lives.

The whole time it wasn't a bunch of insightful helpful posts by you older more experienced people. But it was a bunch of grown people telling a kid the thing they wanted most would never happen. Sorry if I think its wrong, that just because you thought and wrote long posts doesn't mean they helped the other person. To be honest I have gotten a lot of personal messages from people who are afraid to post on here publicly because this place is like a shark tank. A bunch of women ganging up and killing one person with words just because they didn't like what they had to say. I know that I was taught by my elders that if you don't like what someone has to say, ignore them and walk away. To be honest its not that hard.

Default I need to see where this drama started.

Anyone have a link with the alter names and the back and forth that has stirred up so much trouble with the OP?

I have looked at some of the, ahem, more "deep" threads involving VPL and Styling of polos, breeches, and belts, but I have yet to find the deception and dastardly deeds thread.

By chance, was it the "I'm dying to make it big in the horse world" or something like that? I think I am remembering the carnage from that trainwreck.

Thanks, I feel out of the loop, but I am still entertained, nonetheless.
    Last edited by LoveJubal; Mar. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I don't think that asking a theoretical question that doesn't necessarily pertain to you is "wasting our time." This is, after all, an internet BB.

Shipping and quarantine are not cheap, so looking for better deals in Europe only makes sense if your budget is high enough. For example, it wouldn't make sense to go to Europe if your budget was 20K, since half of it would be eaten by importing costs.

I've heard 40K-50K is about the "break-even" for considering going abroad but that is well beyond my experience, having never done so myself.

Also, you need very good contacts over there, esp with language differences, etc. Horse buying is sketchy everywhere, but if you are shipping to another continent, never to be seen again, it can be even more difficult to find an honest seller.
    This is basically what I would say. I would add that if you want to stick closer to home, don't rule out Canada.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/