The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default We should train all of our horses to do this!

Barn chores would be so much easier!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ep-stable.html

That's great! Thanks for sharing! Now off to train my two horses to do the same!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I'm gonna teach mine to clean their stalls.

Heck I would be estatic if I could put a muck bucket in the corner of each stall and teach them to use it!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Mine need to clean toilets then windows.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

There was a QH stud at my old barn that would do that - he pooped in the same corner all the time, so we put a muck tub in that corner and I'll be darned if he didn't poop in it and most of it ended up in therE !

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    There was a QH stud at my old barn that would do that - he pooped in the same corner all the time, so we put a muck tub in that corner and I'll be darned if he didn't poop in it and most of it ended up in therE !
    Was he trained to poop in one corner or did he do it on his own? One of mine poops all over the stall (even in her hay) and then proceeds to mix it in the shavings then she lays down in it. Her stall is just disgusting by the morning. I would love to teach her to poop in a corner!

He just pooped in one corner. A lot of studs will poop on top of poop, as a sort of 'marking' thing. He did the same thing in the field - he would sniff a poop then straddle it and poop right on top. The other stallion would do this too, although he wasn't as neat in his stall as the first guy.

Anyway, even after he was gelded at the age of 10 he did this. It was just the way he was. :-)

We had a mare on the farm once who consistently pooped into her outdoor water trough.
    Never thought of keeping it empty to use as a litter box though.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    He just pooped in one corner. A lot of studs will poop on top of poop, as a sort of 'marking' thing. He did the same thing in the field - he would sniff a poop then straddle it and poop right on top. The other stallion would do this too, although he wasn't as neat in his stall as the first guy.

Anyway, even after he was gelded at the age of 10 he did this. It was just the way he was. :-)
    oh gawd, don't remind me--! many years ago i would periodically help at a friend's large animal shelter; one day i was picking out the front yard, which had been taped off for an emergency paddock for a new horse. so i'm out there w/a pitchfork and wheelbarrow, picking up poop, and the damn gelding was following me around re-depositing.

that clip up top is hysterical.