The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ariat Volant causing rubs on my saddle

I just got the red front zips yesterday, and was so excited to get in the tack today. Halfway through my ride, realized that the seam near the top of the calf (where there is that odd patch of leather - why is that there?) was rubbing a patch on the knee pads of my saddle something crazy. My saddle is more important to me than boots, and the knee pads are made of really soft calfskin leather, so rub easily, but I am so scared now that my new boots will cause permanent damage!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do?

I did not have the volants, but all my tall boots rub my saddle to shreds because of the top and wear it hits my flap. Could you take them to a cobbler and have him put something over the piece that is ruubbing? Could you send them back? Stinks because the pair that I tried on were so comfy!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Could you cover the seam with something, maybe duct tape? Duct tape fixes all ills.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

I guess I could cover them with something, but it just seems such a shame to have to do that. Also, since they're kind of strange looking anyway (but very comfortable), I'd rather not also cover them with duct tape -- although that would probably solve the problem. I called the tack shop I bought them from and they'd never had anyone complain of the problem. Because I've already worn the boots, I can't return them.

I feel like I'm crazy if I'm the only person who's had this problem!

What size are they? You can send them to me. I'm pretty sure they won't hurt my Wintec...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Call Ariat and let them know what your problem is. Maybe they'll do something.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Haha - if I didn't love them so much...I know this whole situation sounds like such a whine ("oh no, my new boots don't get along with my saddle, wah wah") but I am totally at a loss. They were a very generous gift, which somehow makes me feel worse about the whole thing because I don't want to have to say -- oh, you know those super expensive really nice boots you got me? totally a waste of your money. Sorry.

I wish I'd bought them on SmartPak so I could just return them.

Oh, and I did email Ariat -- I'm going to call them tomorrow. Supposedly the tack shop called them today (after I called the tack shop) and said there's nothing they can do because technically it's not a flaw in the boot (it's just the design) but I am going to try myself. Fingers crossed.

Could they be to tall for you and thats why this is happening?

I have the red Volants and haven't had that problem in any of my saddles. But maybe that's the first ever perk of not having long legs?

Is it the back part of the strap that has the snap on it that's rubbing? I would consider black duct tape over that edge until they're more broken in. If it's the inside of the top you wouldn't be able to see it. And that piece isn't as "sharp" on mine after 6 weeks of wear.

And if that doesn't work, could you trade them in for the black Volants? The zipper is in a different place and they don't have the same strap, but the foot is just as comfortable. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by alexshrugged View Post
    I just got the red front zips yesterday, and was so excited to get in the tack today. Halfway through my ride, realized that the seam near the top of the calf (where there is that odd patch of leather - why is that there?) was rubbing a patch on the knee pads of my saddle something crazy. My saddle is more important to me than boots, and the knee pads are made of really soft calfskin leather, so rub easily, but I am so scared now that my new boots will cause permanent damage!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do?
    Take some photos & send them along to Ariat - I'd be inclined to consider this a design flaw: how could you guess this would happen without wearing them so that's pretty silly for the tack shop to consider them non-returnable (I expect the tack shop will send them back to Ariat).

I would be a little more adamant with the tack shop - they are flawed, there was absolutely no way that you could have known they were flawed without wearing them, and they sold you defective merchandise. Now they need to make it right.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Can you look at another pair to make sure that the seam on your boots isn't more prominent than it's supposed to be? It could have been stitched wrong, causing more of a seam than there should be. It could still be defective, even if the seam is in the normal place...

That's a good point -- I haven't seen any others, maybe it is actually a larger/defective seam. I will bring them back to the tack shop to compare -- maybe if I appeal in person, they'll be a little more helpful...grrr.

hmmm....just how hard are you gripping with your knee? are you a knee pincher? fess up!

I have had the volants for about 8 months and neither of my saddles are showing wear from this.