The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Bad Would It Be to Get a 6'6" Tall Trailer?

Hello Folks,

I know everyone says don't get a 6'6" trailer because it will have no resell value. But I'm in a situation where the only available/affordable stock trailer that we need is a Delta 6'6".

None of the dealers in our geographical location have any other budget stock trailers, and to order a 7' stock trailer would be 6-8 weeks. Thats a bummer because if we order one thats 7' tall then I feel like we're missing spring.

What I have found is that the only used steel stock trailers for sale around here are pretty old (scary rust situations). And they are going for almost the same price as the new Delta.

The other option is that a friend is selling an aluminum stock trailer for $9500. Its a Barrett, which I don't know anything about. She says its top of the line???? In any event, its a lot more than we'd like to pay. Although we could pay it if it makes more financial sense.

My horses are 15.0 and 15.3 hands, so the 6'6" should be ok. So how bad would it be to buy the 6'6" trailer? Would the resale value just be lower, or would it be unsellable?
    Last edited by ytr45; Feb. 29, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

In my opinion, 6'6" is not tall enough for a 15.3 hand horse. There may be some that haul in them, but they raise their heads loading and unloading, but unless he is pretty low headed, I think you will run into trouble at some point.

Also consider...the measurement it to the OUTSIDE of the roof. You have to deduct 2" for the cross beam pieces. I would not haul anything over a cow or pony in 6'6". Resale will be to cattle people only.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Where are you located?
    How wide is this trailer? You don't see many 6' wide cattle trailers anymore because cows are wider than what used to be bred many years ago.

If I were looking for stock trailer for 15.3/15.0 horses, i would be looking at 7' X 7'. That is interior height of 7'.

I know it's disheartening, but save your $ and keep looking for a 7" trailer. I had a big 16.2 OTTB who traveled very comfortably in a 7" trailer.

You'll be very disappointed if you spend your money on a 6'6" and you find it too small and can't unload it.

Trust me, been there done that. I didn't buy a 6'6" trailer, but I bought one that didn't have full access escape doors and I hated it. I paid $3500 for it, it was a good Trail et trailer with a big tack room up front, but I sold it after one year and only got $2000, just wanted to unload it and get something decent.
    Don't skimp WAIT and save and search and search.

I would assume that if the height is on the short side, it's probably smaller in several other areas too. Measure the area where the horses heads are, the body area, and compare with a newer trailer. It will be really hard to re-sell and in the long run you want to be sure it's not an impulsive decision.

How bad would it be? Prety bad. It would be pretty unsuable for you and certainly unsellable. There's a reason its available.

If you are so eager to buy a trailer right away, why not travel to get the right one? I can't imagine not being able to find the right trailer anywhere, but if you say you can't, I guess you can't. However, there's nothing wrong with driving a day or two away to buy it somewhere else.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I had one for my 14h Morgan and it was perfect. The 15.1 mare hated it. I have had a 16.2 tb on there but it was tight.
    Now I have a 7.6 draft trailer.

I used my little one for 3 years. Paid 600 for it, refurbed with brakes paint and one steel beam. Sold it for 1500 last year.
    In your case go bigger. One leery horse and you're screwed

Is it optimal? No.. Is it usable? Yes.
    I have a 6' 6" stock trailer. I bought it in 2004 when I needed a 4horse for short money and my tallest horse was 15.1. the others were 15, 14.2 & 13.3 respectively. I was relatively new to trailer buying & I didn't realize that the height could be a problem in the future until after I bought it. I took the four horses everywhere in it, pony club, horse shows, the beach, trails, hunter paces. It's 8 years later and my tallest horse is 16'2. He fits in it, does just fine.. but I know it's not the best choice for him. We only do short trips, mostly `5 minutes to the barn, 1/2 hour or an hour here and there... he's never bumped his head, he knows where the ceiling is. But..I still don't like it, I just picked up a used 2horse that has more head room. So..if you had to do it, I'd say it's not the end of the world, but if you had other options..I'd take them first.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I've used 6'6" for my 16.1 HH, with no problem, but when I bought a trailer I went with 7'. Resale might be an issue. One thing I'd do is measure the actual height from the top of the mats to the lowest structural element. If it is less than 6'5", I'd skip it.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

I too have a stock trailer, 6'6", its a CornPro. Never heard of them until I bought one. Anyways, regardless of whether or not I think it has resale value, any horse over 14.2 hands is tall enough that hitting its head isn't too hard to do. My horses are both 14.2 (arab and QH) and they fit okay, but I can see where even with them, height could be an issue if either of them threw their head up for any reason. I had a 15.2 hand gelding when I first got the trailer, and he fit only because he was compliant to do whereever I put him, but it was snug. Thankfully he was an easy going guy who just went in and stood, even though his ear tips touched the roof

I don't know where you're located, but the aluminum trailer even priced higher than you wanted, seems like a good match both for quality and resale value if you choose to do so later down the road.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

If you can order something you want then go that route instead. When we get in a hurry we settle for something that usually isn't in our best interests. If you buy the '6'6 trailer and your 15.3 hand horse won't load in it your going to miss out on spring anyways.

Wait and get a 7 footer. A shorter trailer is inappropriate for a 15.3 hand horse. And resale value for a 6'6" is poor.

I ordered a trailer in 7'6" height and it was only $500 more. The extra height makes the trailer very inviting, and resale for tall trailers is very good.

I'm trailer shopping and I'm passing on &'. I'd prefer 7'6". My 16. horse does fine and the 14.1 pony does great, but I don't want to limit myself on my next horse.

This trailer purchase is the last one for the next 10-12 years. Both,pony and horse, are in their late 20's so I'm definitely getting another horse before I die. I don't want to be the limiting factor for my next horse to be "Will it fit in the trailer?'

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Don't do it. Either bite the bullet and wait for the 7' trailer (six weeks isn't that long) or do a road trip to buy one that's appropriately sized. I can tell you that if you buy a 6'6", you'll own it until it dies; no one wants them, except mini owners.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

And mini owners, goat & sheep don't mind short height trailers but they have to crawl on their knees to load & unload them.

As stated previously, save your $$ and get a 7' ft high trailer.

It would be bad, don't do it. I've had 7' tall trailers and I didn't think were tall enough! Now I won't own anything that isn't taller then 7' and I have 14.3hh, 15.0hh and 15.3hh horses!

Keep looking, you'll find a suitable trailer. Are you looking just in your area? Expand your search.

IMO, it's not rushing into purchasing a trailer that really is not suitable just so you can have it this spring. That's not money well spent.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Thirty years ago I had a QH sized trailer (6'6") and hauled my 16.2" hh horse around in it. But that is the way it was.

I would not do it again for all the reasons mentioned above, unless it was almost free. Times have changed.

thanks everyone, good advice as usual. I will put the 6'6" trailer out of my mind and keep looking.

I would make a list of what you have to have and what you would like (but neccessarily required{wish list}-only if it fits in the budget).
    start with basics--height, width, axle weight(5,000 or 7,000lbs (torsion or leaf spring),.....full stock, semi-stock,...
    Keep searching and find a well made trailer that will maintain its value for resale.
    Used high quality trailers are out there, be patient and thorough in your search.