The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heel slipping in dress boots?

I got a pair of custom dress boots done by Vogel last year that I mostly love. I did not get zippers because I have small feet and no issue getting them on - figured one less thing to break! I have old Vogel field boots that fit like a glove and these were made to nearly the same measurements, though he told me that the ankle would obviously not be as tapered in a dress boot. I try to use these boots mostly for show or clinic so they've probably been ridden in ~30 times. The ankle has broken and dropped like it should. Problem I'm having is that they still feel loose in the heel/ ankle when I ride. I feel like I need to keep gripping with my toes to keep my heel down in them which is a little annoying. Anybody ever had this issue and solved it? The calf width is good, and I have thought of trying heel lifts but haven't yet. Vogel said I can send them in and they will take a look at them, but I'm a bit afraid of messing them up since they are close to perfect. Any ideas appreciated!

Go to your local drugstore and pick up a pair of heel lifts or heel cushions. See if it helps. If the whole foot feels sloppy, a full thin sole cushion might be the ticket.

I keep heel lifts in my Cavallos, which were off-the-shelf and "almost" a perfect fit. Bought on sale, I can deal with a little help from Dr. Scholl.

I had my local shoe repair guy sew in lifts--like 2". I could not ride in them otherwise. Make sure you account for further break in.
    I also added foam to them and put an insole on top when needed. Very comfy! the foam scrunches down a lot so have extra on hand.

Thanks, guys! So does it sound like heel lifts are all that's needed? I was wondering if the ankle might need to be taken in or something, but don't even know if they could do that without changing the calf also. Definitely going to try so e cheap heel pads before I do anything else, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Fiddle Farm View Post
    Thanks, guys! So does it sound like heel lifts are all that's needed? I was wondering if the ankle might need to be taken in or something, but don't even know if they could do that without changing the calf also. Definitely going to try so e cheap heel pads before I do anything else, though.

I asked that same question---they could not do that for me (take in the boot). I had to work with the heel area since that could be more easily modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Fiddle Farm View Post
    The boot repairman suggested lining the heel with a patch of suede and that really helped. Mine weren't custom, but they were zipperless Cavallo dressage boots.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

wear two or more pair of thicker "footie" socks- prolem will be solved cheaply