The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    I used to teach riding at Ft. Jackson in South Carolina in the 70s. I don't remember exactly but many of the pony club families were military and as I remember they had a stable on the base.
    Yes, Ft. Jackson did have a stable on base. Several of 'our' Wildewood students had horses boarded there, and certainly participated in Pine Tree PC.

And next time I get out to SF (next spring after I retire!), I will bring your contact info with me and we'll have coffee and share memories!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

"loopholes" have been mentioned a few times. That has a fairly negative connotation. How is it a 'loophole' (which in my mind translates to "I can do X because the law doesn't specify that I can't") when not only is the activity specifically addressed in the regs even to the point of proper attire?

OP read the regs and is abiding by them.

Adding my thanks for your service and your pride in riding 'for' your company sponsor ;-) .
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, just wow,sad comments from both sides. Considering what military people go through I'm happy to see the OP is getting positive reinforcement. Considering Obama just spent 1.5 million of our taxes on a golf outing, I don't think the OP will come close to that.

1.5 mil could pay for a lot of children to event
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Personally, I love to see the uniforms that so many European riders compete in. It adds spice and variety to the competition, especially dressage. I personally wish that our government, either directly or through the military (as does Ireland) WOULD support International sport more than it does. Every loophole that allows it should be exploited to the fullest.
    '
    Congratulations to the OP.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Well that escalated quickly.

First off, OP, congratulations of doing well on your gorgeous Percheron! I'm a sucker for dapple greys anyways. I love seeing the uniform in equestrian sports since the two have such an intertwined heritage.

I think the criticism of military funds is fully valid. I am an Army wife. I live on taxpayers' money, so I can say this without being just another angry civilian. This concern hasn't been expressed very respectfully, though. That's the thing about taxes; you don't get to decide how your own money is spent.

I wish that I could convince my DH to ride in his Marine dress coat, especially since it still fits perfectly more than 40 years later!

We have a student who is now riding in her dress uni, which is very snazzy. She is a superior role model for young ladies as she is an F15 Strike Eagle pilot, and a lot of fun too!

Oops that posted too soon.

Huge congratulations to the OP and a sincere thank you for your service to our country.

Here's to many more successes in the sport!

Well, this thread is a year old, so I can fairly well guarantee that the OP isn't getting permissive TDY approved right now- we can't even get normal TDYs that we need for training approved, at least until they figure out the budget debacle. They're threatening furloughing civilian employees and taking most of our flying hours away, among other things. We'll see.

As for the recruiting aspect, you have to understand that recruiting costs are a biggie for the services. So the idea behind allowing and supporting these permissive TDYs is that the OP will go out there with the AF logo emblazoned everywhere and people will ask her about it. The AF hopes she will present a good public relations image and maybe get some younger people thinking about joining. Kids won't go talk to a recruiter out of the blue, or join based on some commercial on TV. But it will mean a lot to them to talk to someone face to face who shares a common interest with them. And a saddle pad costs a hell of a lot less than a commercial

That being said, I've never competed in uniform and have no current plans to. I personally like keeping them separate. I don't take permissive TDY (with my job they likely wouldn't let me anyway) and have never been given anything by the AF to event. If the OP was taking the free stuff without openly presenting herself as an AF member (with the logos/uniform), I would say she's taking advantage of a loophole, but as a recruiting/public relations tool, she's well within the intent of the regs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Tuppysmom- I'm what's known as a FAIP (First Assignment Instructor Pilot) and won't get my "real" jet for a couple years. This is totally terrible, but both Strike Eagles and Vipers are way up there on my list largely because they both have bases in good horsey areas

What can I say, I have my priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Neigh-Neigh View Post
    So glad our military tax dollars are being spent in the name of national security. Meanwhile, Joe-Shmoe the Taxpayer, is trying to figure out how to fund his daughters lesson program.
    I'm a public school teacher whose pay and benefit structure allows for three personal days annually. Should I elect not to take these paid days off in deference to the community members whose property tax dollars help fund our public schools (of which I myself am one)? It's not a perfect analogy, but it doesn't seem too far off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lmlacross View Post
    I'm a public school teacher whose pay and benefit structure allows for three personal days annually. Should I elect not to take these paid days off in deference to the community members whose property tax dollars help fund our public schools (of which I myself am one)? It's not a perfect analogy, but it doesn't seem too far off to me.
    And what is the probably that you, a public school teacher, will be pulled out of the classroom and deployed into a combat arena?
    About the same as me being pulled out of my bank job.

Once you enlist in the military - you become property of Uncle Sam. To be assigned to any post, at any time.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Fooler, I think you misunderstand my point. My comparison was only meant to illustrate that PP's assertion that a service member shouldn't use PTO or paid training time in the approved manner she chooses simply because taxpayers fund her salary seems a bit ridiculous. I don't need to be reminded that I'm not living on the brink of deployment. Our two careers are only comparable in that taxpayers help to fund the government agencies for which we work.

Quote Originally Posted by lmlacross View Post
    Fooler, I think you misunderstand my point. My comparison was only meant to illustrate that PP's assertion that a service member shouldn't use PTO or paid training time in the approved manner she chooses simply because taxpayers fund her salary seems a bit ridiculous. I don't need to be reminded that I'm not living on the brink of deployment. Our two careers are only comparable in that taxpayers help to fund the government agencies for which we work.
    My apology as I misunderstood the intent of your post.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

The pictures look great! I hope the OP keeps competing in the military dress. I think eventing needs a reminder of the origins that it has drifted far away from.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

This thread is a year old guys. It doesn't look like the OP has come back to this BB either.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Mar. 16, 2013 at 01:39 PM.