The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Military Competitor

There have been posts before asking about military competitors, so here is my blog post with lots of pictures from the Las Cruces Horse Trials last weekend. My mare and I are currently representing the Air Force for eventing, since I am active duty Air Force. The wear of the AF Service coat is written into the dress and appearance standards as acceptable to wear for nationally recognized equestrian competitions. The Air Force has also bought my girl a halter that says "U.S. Air Horse" on the cheek with her name on the nose, saddle pads, helmet covers, and gives me Permissive TDY to show for eventing since it is an Olympic Sport.

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.co...ials-2012.html

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm not an eventer but I do ride drafts occasionally. Love your blog and great job with everything you've done with Klein.
    Come and read my blog about riding on the cheap and my experiences riding in college--the Collegial Equestrian.
    "Like" Collegial Equestrian on Facebook for regular updates!

OK, this is the stickler in me coming out. The AFI 36-2903 does not authorize part of the uniform to be worn, neither does it have an authorized equestrian service dress. This has to be authorized through at least your Squadron Commander, if not the Group or Wing (depending on the installation and your superiors).

Also, the Air Force does not authorize TDY's or gear. Your commander authorizes these funds. I sincerely hope our military budget is not being spent on this - I would prefer it spent on the training that is needed but not in the budget. Why aren't you using your leave time for shows?

Other than that, kudos to you and cheers to your squadron for being so understanding.

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

I have a client who is a Vietnam vet and is interested in showing in dressage. We ran thru the test and he did the military salute and it got me wondering.....

What is required of a honoralby discharged vet to wear?

Can he wear a uniform if he wanted to?
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Ajierene Think you might be mistaken.
    From the regulation you cited of July 2011:

9.10. Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration.The Equestrian CompetitionService Dress Configuration is authorized for wear during competitions, to include Dressage andJump. The uniform is authorized for formal competitions, such as those sponsored within thegovernance of the United States Equestrian Federation. The Equestrian Competition ServiceDress Configuration wear is only permitted in competitions where the governing organizationspecifically authorizes military uniform wear.9.10.1. Coat. The Service Dress coat is used in full configuration as outlined in chapter 4,with no changes. For wear and description see applicableparagraphs 4.9 through 4.9.2.3.2 (males) and

4.10 through

4.10.1.3.6(females). 9.10.1.1. Accoutrements.9.10.1.1.1. All accessories and medals should be like-new and clean. Any awardspresented (medals or ribbons of any kind) may be worn for the duration of the awardceremony, and worn during the time of the competition.9.10.2. Pants. Pants are white riding breeches. Jodhpurs are not authorized with uniformconfiguration. No design or ornamentation authorized on pants.9.10.3. Belt. The belt must not show under Service Dress.
    124 AFI 36-2903 18 JULY 20119.10.4. Footwear. Boots are tall, over the calf riding black leather boots with minimalvisible stitching, and no metal or decorative ornamentation. Low heel, not to exceed 2inches. Spurs, should be silver and non-ornamental.9.10.5. Headgear. The headgear will be a plain black or dark blue safety helmet whilecompeting.9.10.6. Gloves. Black or dark blue, solid color gloves made of any material are authorized.

Ajierene,
    Excuse me??? The stickler in you???? You better check your facts. You obviously have absolutely NO clue what you are talking about. Why don't you go take a look for yourself then? On page 123 you will find:

"9.10. Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration. The Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration is authorized for wear during competitions, to include Dressage and Jump. The uniform is authorized for formal competitions, such as those sponsored within the governance of the United States Equestrian Federation. The Equestrian Competition Service Dress Configuration wear is only permitted in competitions where the governing organization specifically authorizes military uniform wear.
    9.10.1. Coat. The Service Dress coat is used in full configuration as outlined in chapter 4, with no changes. For wear and description see applicable paragraphs 4.9 through 4.9.2.3.2 (males) and 4.10 through 4.10.1.3.6 (females).
    9.10.1.1. Accoutrements.
    9.10.1.1.1. All accessories and medals should be like-new and clean. Any awards presented (medals or ribbons of any kind) may be worn for the duration of the award ceremony, and worn during the time of the competition.
    9.10.2. Pants. Pants are white riding breeches. Jodhpurs are not authorized with uniform configuration. No design or ornamentation authorized on pants.
    9.10.3. Belt. The belt must not show under Service Dress.
    124 AFI 36-2903 18 JULY 2011
    9.10.4. Footwear. Boots are tall, over the calf riding black leather boots with minimal visible stitching, and no metal or decorative ornamentation. Low heel, not to exceed 2 inches. Spurs, should be silver and non-ornamental.
    9.10.5. Headgear. The headgear will be a plain black or dark blue safety helmet while competing.
    9.10.6. Gloves. Black or dark blue, solid color gloves made of any material are authorized."

Oh and as far as PERMISSIVE TDYs that would be under AFI 36-3003 TABLE 7 RULE 30.

The Air Force doesn't authorize TDY's? I speak directly with the Chief of Sports of the Air Force and HE is the one that approves my Permissive and then my Commander signs my 988.

Why am I not using leave time for shows? Because the Air Force will give you permissive TDY for sports that are Olympic Sports. Again, I deal directly with the CHIEF OF AIR FORCE SPORTS, yes the man himself that oversees everything sports related for the entire Air Force.

You know what they also authorized me a paid permissive to LONDON to compete in an international military only showjumping competition. You can find the post about that trip here:

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.co...ping-show.html

You, are flat out wrong. Again check your facts before you go blasting false information.

Ctab, I'm not too sure how the rules go for retirees.

I actually submitted a change to the AFI that will be introduced with the next military uniform board meeting for the Air Force. They have authorized us to wear a white show shirt with white stock tie with a conservative silver stock pin instead of our blues shirt and blues tie tab. That authorization came directly from Ruth Ewalt who is in charge of uniform board related changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ctab View Post
    I have a client who is a Vietnam vet and is interested in showing in dressage. We ran thru the test and he did the military salute and it got me wondering.....

What is required of a honoralby discharged vet to wear?

Can he wear a uniform if he wanted to?
    Retired or prior service are authorized to wear their entire uniform with the insignia of the highest rank held honorably. That is to say all the regulations state the entire uniform, not parts. The army is the only branch I have ever found with a specific equestrian uniform and it is not in current regulations.

However, special permission can be given. For someone currently serving, they would go through their superiors. For someone prior service, I would suggest asking guidance from a local post, base, reserve station or other such entity that can help. Often the Public Relations department/squadron/office is the best to go to.

More leeway and understanding is given to veterans and retired military than those actively serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    The army is the only branch I have ever found with a specific equestrian uniform and it is not in current regulations.

For someone currently serving, they would go through their superiors.
    Ajierene, did you not just read the information from the CURRENT Air Force AFI that both I and SLR posted? So that means the Army is NOT the only branch with an equestrian specific uniform. For someone currently serving, you do NOT have to go through your superiors. You just know how to read an AFI, which apparently, you, do not.

Apparently we do not have an outdated AFI, which is surprising considering the stickler my supervisor is. I had looked into this before.

I'm not big on 'permissive TDY's', considering the training that needs to be accomplished and scope of the budget. Technically, your commander still has to authorizes all permissive TDY's (all TDY's - as in he has to sign off whether it is training or PCS or what have you), but if you talked to the Chief of Sports for the Air Force, he will likely not go against that.

(And I cannot load any AFI's right now....apparently my internet is against me!)

That prior post, I had actually written, walked away from the computer and came back to realize I had not posted it - so I had not read the posts quoting AFI 36-2903.

You don't have an outdated AFI? What would that matter? What matters is the current AFI, that contains the Equestrian Competition Uniform.

Yes, very good, we all know the CC has to sign the 988 for stuff like that. It actually has to be a paper 988, you can't even submit it electronically. You don't know my unit and you have no idea what we are doing, or what our mission is. So if the CC sees fit that they can let me go for stuff like this then yay for me. It's not like they're letting people go on PTDYs, whether it's me going to horse trials or a group of guys for the base softball team, in the middle of an ORE.

You're not big on PTDYs? It's called morale. There's a reason PTDY exists for sports programs. This base is big on it because you know what we had here last year? The highest rate of suicide in the Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
    You don't have an outdated AFI? What would that matter? What matters is the current AFI, that contains the Equestrian Competition Uniform.
    HA! I meant, we don't have an UPdated AFI - as in our AFI is out of date.

Well, it is hard to be all up on PTDY's when I'm not even sure if I can go to the training I need to do my job. Your pool of TDY money and mine do come out of different pockets, but still....trying to get training to do my job so when I deploy I am all spun up and I still don't have orders because we don't know if we have money...doesn't give me all warm and fuzzies, especially considering 30 days of leave per year - but that is off topic.

2 members found this post helpful.

HA! I meant, we don't have an UPdated AFI - as in our AFI is out of date.
    I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out that you wrote it wrong. Geez, being that you are SUUUUCH a stickler, I'd think you would have written it properly the first time. Attention to detail, see that is why I know my AFI's and how a PTDY works. Or you could just take initiative and check e-pubs first.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
    I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out that you wrote it wrong. Geez, being that you are SUUUUCH a stickler, I'd think you would have written it properly the first time. Attention to detail, see that is why I know my AFI's and how a PTDY works. Or you could just take initiative and check e-pubs first.
    You are absolutely correct, attention to detail. That's what I get for posting while doing other things.

To check epubs, I have to get my CAC reader out, along with my CAC. That may not even work, my computer does not like opening online PDF's all the time and I just get a blank screen.

1 members found this post helpful.

Uhh since when do you need your CAC to get on E-Pubs?? Or you can just Google the AFI's. Either way, no CAC needed.

And it's not about being "up" on PTDYs it's about knowing your AFI's so you know what you can and cannot do in the Air Force, or where you can and cannot go, etc...

It's not my fault you might have more training before you go out the door. That doesn't mean you just blast someone else that might have more opportunities and spout off incorrect information. Just because YOU don't know doesn't mean it's not out there.

"Up" as in support of, not "Up" as in educated on. That is probably a local euphemism.

The rest is just a discussion on my computer and it's issues - which is way far more off topic.

Obviously part of it was up as in not educated on, because you obviously weren't aware of Table 7, Rule 30.

Bottom line is, then I'm done for the night, all I'm saying is just don't assume that everyone besides you must have joined the Air Force yesterday.

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default THANKS!!

Retired or prior service are authorized to wear their entire uniform with the insignia of the highest rank held honorably. That is to say all the regulations state the entire uniform, not parts. The army is the only branch I have ever found with a specific equestrian uniform and it is not in current regulations.

However, special permission can be given. For someone currently serving, they would go through their superiors. For someone prior service, I would suggest asking guidance from a local post, base, reserve station or other such entity that can help. Often the Public Relations department/squadron/office is the best to go to.

More leeway and understanding is given to veterans and retired military than those actively serving.

Thank you!
    I will pass this on!
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

The Marine Corp has had a mounted color guard for years. They ride in a Marine Corp riding uniform.

They used to ride Palomino horses and were or so spectacular, to a little kid like me!

By the way, Big Congratulations to the Jumping Percheron for taking FIRST PLACE at Las Cruces! Way to go!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.