The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GPA Speed Air padding

Actually, I have an Air S, but same configuration - I'm having the hardest time getting this helmet to fit right. I think part of it comes from the design of the protector at the back of the helmet. I always ride in a hair net, so I'm tucking my ponytail up into my helmet. But I have the worst time with this helmet getting everything to lay flat.

Inevitably, the helmet will get pushed forward and my hair will fall out. So badly that I actually had to stop between a jumper round and the jumpoff to reset my helmet.

I've managed to make it work for a bit my using two hairnets, but the only way that will work is if I put the hairnet on, pull into a ponytail, then put the second hairnet on over it, and try to twist/fold it up into the helmet. And then at the end of my ride, I have a throbbing headache.

Anybody have any ideas? I've been fighting with this for about a year now. I never had problems with my old GPA, but it was OLD, so it had to go. Can I buy extra padding to make it fit better? There's got to be something I can do......please help! A new helmet is really not in the budget right now.....

It sounds like maybe the helmet just doesn't fit properly? GPA's fit has slightly changed over the years, so the old Titium and the new Speed Airs aren't exactly the same. I actually find that my hair fits into my Speed Air even better than my old Titium. Is the problem that the back harness doesn't really hold the base of your pony tail the same way that the harness on the Titium did? My hair is super thick, and with my old Titium, I had to wear my hair so that the base of the pony tail, and a little bit of the lump, so to speak, had to stay out from under the helmet and be held by the band on the back of the helmet. With my Speed Air, I can put everything inside and just have my hair elastic peeking out the back. My hair is longer now that it's ever been.

Where is your hair coming out? How does your helmet fit without putting your hair up? My inclination is that if it's sliding out the sides, the fit is slightly too round and your hair is falling into the space between the sides of your head and the helmet. Does the helmet rock side to side at all on your head?

I have a large, weird shaped head and long thick hair so I've been forced to become kind of an expert at helmet fit
    friend of bar.ka

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I know my speed air evolution comes with replacement pads that sort of velcro in/out and in my case I was between two sizes. The tack shop used some of the new padding that was thicker to improve the fit. It ended up being the best fitting helmet I've owned... but uh, for the cost, it should be!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have the exact same issue, I almost miss the back protector thingy from my Titium. I have had to totally reformat how I put my hair up and situate it in the hairnet and it often takes me two or three tries to get it right. I started to wonder if maybe this is why people wear their hair out of the Speed Airs.......mine has slowly gotten better as it packed down in the right places but I've been looking for inserts too. The helmet fit well when I tried it on but it seemed to compact really quickly or something.
    Last edited by RodeoHunter; Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: missing words
    **Member of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**

Default Closer to an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Celeritas View Post
    It sounds like maybe the helmet just doesn't fit properly? GPA's fit has slightly changed over the years, so the old Titium and the new Speed Airs aren't exactly the same. I actually find that my hair fits into my Speed Air even better than my old Titium. Is the problem that the back harness doesn't really hold the base of your pony tail the same way that the harness on the Titium did? My hair is super thick, and with my old Titium, I had to wear my hair so that the base of the pony tail, and a little bit of the lump, so to speak, had to stay out from under the helmet and be held by the band on the back of the helmet. With my Speed Air, I can put everything inside and just have my hair elastic peeking out the back. My hair is longer now that it's ever been.

Where is your hair coming out? How does your helmet fit without putting your hair up? My inclination is that if it's sliding out the sides, the fit is slightly too round and your hair is falling into the space between the sides of your head and the helmet. Does the helmet rock side to side at all on your head?
    Exactly it - with my old Titium, the lump from where my hair was in the elastic was covered/held up by the bottom of the helmet. I tried my helmet on last night without putting my hair up in it, and it does seem to shift side to side without my hair up in there. I wonder if putting my hair up in it (which isn't very long, less than shoulder length) gets it tight enough front to back but then it still has room to move side to side.

Maybe getting thicker padding for the sides would help? I'm thinking that putting the second hairnet on that I don't pull into the elastic is giving me some extra width on the sides to make the helmet tighter? If I put a second hairnet on, and pull them both into the ponytail, it doesn't make the helmet nearly as tight fitting.

Even when I think I get my hair up under it, if my guy jumps too exuberantly, sometimes it will tilt forward and my hair will fall out. Can't keep doing that.

Where can I get thicker/extra side padding for it? Is that what I need to do?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Yup, sounds like you need some different padding on the sides. I know that they sell GPA replacement pads, but I'm not sure if there are different thicknesses. I'm sure the helmet nazis will say that adding padding is pad and you need a different helmet, but maybe you can find bike helmet pads that will work? There seem to be a much bigger variety of replacement pads for bike helmets than riding helmets.
    friend of bar.ka