The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wanted to add...

I rode another horse (a trakhener) for a friend and that horse hadn't had a round jump in his life. Like your mare, he's a pogo stick. He's got an amazing hind end that can get him out of anything and his front end just goes to hell. He has a very flowy way of going which made him nice to watch; therefore he was competitve in the lower level hunters. When I started riding him, he had been out of work for a year or two and the time off really was not good for his confidence. Needless to say, the timing was never right for this horse and we never found the height that made him use himself.

He just looked like this all the time...
    http://www.facebook.com/media/albums...type=1&theater
    Last edited by fatappy; Feb. 28, 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: my grammar is sub par

Just curious as to why you bought a mare with dressage bloodlines to use as a hunter? She looks like she's well suited for dressage. Why force this beautiful apple to be an orange?
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Agree with Kryswyn- she is purposely bred for dressage and she looks like she'd make someone very happy as a dressage horse. Why not sell her as a dressage horse and just purchase something bred to jump?

Additionally, four is young for a warmblood to be really jumping...they mature more slowly than Thoroughbreds. She may not end up being a good jumper or she may end up being better with correct training and age. While it's great that you've spent the time with a dressage trainer getting her flatwork basics down, if you want her to better develop into a hunter, you should start lessons with a hunter trainer instead or in addition to the dressage lessons.

If you really like the horse, keep her for longer and either start lessons with a hunter trainer, send her to a pro for training, or take her for pro rides once a week. See what she develops into.
    If you would rather have a horse that's more of a sure bet for competitively showing hunters, sell her as a dressage horse. Buy something that's either bred to jump, so you have less of a gamble, or something that already jumps well.

No horse can jump like a hunter from that dressage frame that you see her in in the video. From the evidence there you have no ability to adjust her in a way that lets her still use herself. I'd want to completely redo the flatwork on this one before aiming it at a jump.

" even a cow can jump 5'. From a standstill"

I would so pay to see this!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Your mare needs to learn how to lift her back on the flat while reaching down for the bit..not up like a dressage horse.
    She needs to go to the end of her stride at all gaits while she lifts her back and reaches down. Then she needs to coil up and shorten but still reach down.
    A great exercise for teaching her how to use herself is to put four crossrails or very low verticals in a circle. Make sure she gets released everytime. She needs confidence to lift her back and reach over the jump. More height is not the answer with these types.
    The circle exercise is hard work so be careful as she is super young. She most likely will need her canter manufactued before each jump school to help her jump her best. These horses can be taught to jump well enough over 3' but more is not likely in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    " even a cow can jump 5'. From a standstill"

I would so pay to see this!
    Well come on over the next time we try to pen up our bulls. They usually go through the fences/gates that are four feet but the bigger ones they jump. Some have better form than others though

Kind of like this lovely dressage-bred mare There's a DQ somewhere who will adore her and give you enough $ to buy something that WANTS to jump pretty.

Once you've sold her, you can come watch my bulls free jump and pick one out
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    Well come on over the next time we try to pen up our bulls. They usually go through the fences/gates that are four feet but the bigger ones they jump. Some have better form than others though

Kind of like this lovely dressage-bred mare There's a DQ somewhere who will adore her and give you enough $ to buy something that WANTS to jump pretty.

Once you've sold her, you can come watch my bulls free jump and pick one out
    HAHAHAHA thank you! I will have to give this some thought. I would definetly get the judges attention and maybe the intimidation factor would get me more ribbons

The reason I purchased a dressage bred horse was due to the price. It was a deal I could NOT pass, plus she is so sweet!