The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those small places that take on only 3 or 4 boarded horses, insurance question

So for those of you who only take on a couple boarded horses on top of your horses what do you pay for insurance? Or do you just use your states Equine Liability Law to cover it?

Never think that your equine liability law is the same as insurance! I have used Jarvis Ins for yrs and they are great. Give them a call, do the paperwork and get a quote.

We have a commercial policy. Once you take in dollar one, your homeowners policy will not cover you.

Does anyone mind telling me how much they pay? Feel free to send it in a PM if you want.

I use Farm Family and I think the liability extra coverage winds up being an additional $400/year.

Just to give you an idea. I ran a boarding/lesson/training barn and my cost was $1200. a year. Worked out to be $100.00 a month. was easy enough to split the cost and ad it in to the board for each horse.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

For us, our homeowners dropped the entire property as soon as we took in the first dollar. We ended up getting a commercial farm policy for the entire property with a standard policy through the same company for the house.

Don't assume your homeowners policy will still be in effect if you start boarding horses.

Ours adds about $100 per year per horse to our farm policy.

For those that have posted what their insurance runs, would you be willing to say how many boarders that covers please? And who you insure through. TIA!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Generally speaking, for liability it's a flat rate for the risk. However, Care, Custody and Control coverage which covers you if a boarded horse is injured or killed due to your negilgence is bundled. Usually it will cover X increments of horses for a per horse limit and a maximum limit for all horses. The CCC coverage adds maybe a couple of hundred dollars to the policy premium. I typically have 3 - 5 boarders at any given time.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Generally speaking, for liability it's a flat rate for the risk. However, Care, Custody and Control coverage which covers you if a boarded horse is injured or killed due to your negilgence is bundled. Usually it will cover X increments of horses for a per horse limit and a maximum limit for all horses. The CCC coverage adds maybe a couple of hundred dollars to the policy premium. I typically have 3 - 5 boarders at any given time.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Well we are going with Jarvis as they offer liability for myself as an instructor, and trainer (the huge things) and 4 boarded horses (I don't want more) for the 1Million policy for teaching and training people for jumping, dressage, and english for about $570 a year. The liability for teaching and a couple boarded horses is what I was worried about the most, so it works out not to bad. Plus I have heard good things about them.

I am coming late to this discussion, but I pay $500/year through Broadstone for liability. The premium amount is not dependent on the number of boarders. It has stayed the same with two boarders and eight boarders. However, I do not teach or do anything else, which might affect the premium. $570 for you sounds like a good deal.

It depends on the company you have, most farm policies will allow up to 3 boarded horses, then you can add additional premium when you increase the number of horses.

I have not heard of a home owners policy that will cover horses. I have seen many claims denied because the home owners never disclosed there were animals on the property, so be careful with that!

I can't help with costs in the US, but I would also strongly suggest you require boards to carry their own liability insurance also.

Farm Bureau covers us for everything for 4 horses and under. We only have one retired boarder, so we dropped the training/lessons/rider coverage. They have my homeowners, farm, liability, farm equipment, auto and an umbrella policy.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant