The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MSM and Heaves

Does anyone feed MSM to their horses who have heaves/COPD?

I have read some people feed it for the use of an anti-inflammatory, however does it help or make any difference?

Going to the feed store tonight and was wondering if it is worth spending the money on picking up some.

Thanks!
    Meet me at the Rainbow Bridge Harley
    May 21, 2004 - February 28, 2006

I used to have a horse that was heavey, and I fed Spirulina powder in her feed. Worked really well with her, and I also know of another person that had a horse with much worse heaves than mine, that it worked really well on also. It is pretty cheap, you can buy it by the pound from herb suppliers on the net. It is pretty powdery, so it has to be mixed in with something tasty, I used a grain mix with some molasses in it to disguise it. I got the idea from the Horse Journal, they had an article on it some time ago.

My horse is on MSM already for his joints (~10,000mg in his supplement) but when he had a really bad allergy/COPD/RAO episode a couple of summers ago, my vet had me double dose his MSM. I just bought plain MSM and gave it on top of the joint supp so he was getting about 20,000mg/day. I think some people actually do a higher dose than that for short periods of time. I can't say for sure that it did or didn't help (we had to resort to a couple of doses of steroids to calm his immune system down) but now if his breathing starts to get noisy, I immediately increase his MSM and his Histall. So far *knock on wood* we haven't had any more bad spells like that. His seems to be triggered by allergies and we've made a few other changes to help support his immune system too so things don't get out of hand.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Thanks for the replies.

muleygirl - my horse is already on a sprinula supplement. It is not pure sprinula but pretty close to it. I find it does make a difference!

Skip - thanks for the post. I guess if it does help with inflammation it wouldn't hurt to try? I'm doing my best to keep him comfortable without using steroids.

I'm hoping maybe with the MSM and Sprinula together I will see even more of a difference.
    Meet me at the Rainbow Bridge Harley
    May 21, 2004 - February 28, 2006

My horse had allergies/cough that 20,000mg per day of MSM totally eliminated.

yes absolutely, MSM has been wonderful for my old guy's COPD, as well as my friend's mare.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Try Yoder's Heave Special from www.bigDweb.com.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Addition of some Vitamin C and citrus bioflavonoids might be of benefit, as well.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

My horse has COPD. He has never come bad enough to use it, I only soak his hay which keeps him happy. However, when my vet saw him she suggested MSM and siad she saw great results. It is worth a try seeing as it is quite inexpensive. However, if your horse doens't even have too bad of a case (as mine doesn't) you may not notice a difference.

I have two with COPD. One is far worse than the other. I have found that the MSM makes a HUGE difference in their breathing. Also on days that they seem particularly bad, I use a product by Finish Line called Air Power. I read about it here on COTH and decided to try it. It's truly amazing. My one boy that has the less severe case is still in work and when he gets bad, I just give it to him twice a day and you really wouldn't even know he has COPD.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Not often heard of or discussed but N-acetyl-l-cysteine can be quite helpful for COPD and also works well as a mucolyctic, usually fed in combo with Vit C.
    (http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/...C500009290.pdf)

Reply to Question 4, mentions some more helpful sups, like grape seed extract & SOD.
    http://www.aaep.org/ask_the_vet_ques...ategory_id=119

I also feed MSM 15g daily to my RAO horse.