The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Borne' (Sankey) Saddles ?

I'm interested to hear from any one riding in any of the Borne' Saddles made by Master Saddler Andy Sankey.

They look like beautifully made saddles. I'm going to be trying some soon, and would love to hear others opinions of they way they sit the rider, and fit the horse.

They are gorgeous saddles - several people at my barn have them. My trainer just ordered one and says it's every bit as comfy as her cushy Albion and better than anything else she has tried recently. Another boarder at my barn just got one (custom ordered) for her young mare, and it fits her like a glove. The horse is moving more freely forward than she ever has since getting her Borne. As with any saddle, the shape of the various Bornes may not work for you and/or your horse, but they are extremely lovely, well-made saddles and would certainly be worth a try.

Thanks CatPS !

My saddle fitter who actually sells Black Country(which I own) actually recommended the Borne', so I think that sounds like a good endorsement....but not many people know about them or ride in them for that matter, so I'd never heard anything good bad or otherwise....

I have one and I have 2-3 friends who have one too. My fitter now sells them but she doesn't just recommend them if something else would work better.

The quality is amazing and each saddle is made by hand by Andy himself. You can customize it any way you want. Literally. Also I'm not sure if its just my fitter or anyone who sells/services these saddles but I get free lifetime adjustments on the saddle.

Mine is the Contour Open Seat. I ride my young horse in it. Love it!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I know someone in Ohio sponsored by Borne. The saddle was recently tested for balance/fit at the McPhail center. Passed with flying colors I understand.

Detailed report on the McPhail visit and how the saddle was tested here
    http://www.mydhf.com/uploads/9/8/2/0...nuary_2012.pdf

I am sure if you emailed Jen she'd be happy to chat with you.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    Also I'm not sure if its just my fitter or anyone who sells/services these saddles but I get free lifetime adjustments on the saddle.
    Seriously? That is incredible. No, it's not the standard deal for Borne saddles.

I wonder how a fitter can afford do this? I hope this doesn't mean you'll be "needing" a new saddle every year or two!

Oh God no. Shes a friend too but she does that for everyone. I live like 15-20 mins from her but anyone that she sold a Borne to she will service for free. And def doesnt tell you that you need a new saddle every 2 yrs or whatever. Shes just like that - truly a good person. Also does body work and massage.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

IZS- what a timely article. Obviously the saddle has to fit my horses back, but based on this article and what my saddle fitter was telling me, the Borne's are generally really adjustable, forgiving, and balanced- so fingers crossed this will be the case for me. I'm much more excited now, I normally don't find saddle shopping much fun...

I'm pretty sure though, that the Rep/Fitter I'd be working with does not provide lifetime adjustments, maybe one or two .....

Default Borne Saddles

I just bought my first Borne saddle today!

The immediate response in my mare was amazing! She has been going through some negative responses from our previous poor saddle fit and as soon as we walked off with this saddle she relaxed and dropped her head and then moved forward into a gorgeous, loose trot with a free shoulder. just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke we switched back and forth between it and two other saddles that she moved nicely in and the saddler liked.

I can't wait to go ride tomorrow and have our first real ride in the new saddle!

Congrats! They are awesome saddles. I loff mine.
    ~~~~~~~~~