The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by karin o View Post
    Following the story of Oliver - can he be saved ? is interesting to me. One comment by a COTH member about DNA led me to this factoid I just discovered ....

My good friend and expert equine photographer Gabriele Boiselle gave me a book just recently that quotes....

" The recently developed science of epigenetics is based upon scientific fact. It proves that the genetic code that we call the "blueprint of life, " our DNA, changes with our environment. The piece that the traditional scientists are reluctant to talk about is that the environment changing our DNA includes more than the toxins in our own air and water, and more than the electromagnetic "noise" inundating those who live among the power lines, transformer stations, and cell-phone towers of the bigger cities in the world. The environment includes our very personal ,subjective experiences of beliefs, emotions and thoughts as well. "
    the book is Deep Truth by Gregg Braden

I say that for the horses that we have all loved and lost, and for the horses we still will meet, I encourage OLIVER'S story to be read and pondered.
    Why, have you read it? Have you pondered it? What do YOU think? You're the one who brought it up and thought is important enought to comment on. However, you seem to have no comment. What's your opinion? What is the update on this horse, since you know about it?
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Without science, how do you know the DNA has been changed?

Default update

If you go to Oliver's story, thats where the updates are reported. The DNA factoid is merely an interesting subject I found in a book and thought readers may find it interesting.

Ugh. What a depressing example of what happens when people humanize their horses/make their life-stories the stuff of myth. A very ungrounded description of the horse, with lots of holes in logic/what happened. It's as if the owner wants to make this spoiled, probably hurting horse's story as complicated and dramatic as possible. And the double riding w/out a helmet?? The 3'6 jumping? I wouldn't want to step into this mess, and not because of the horse's issues!
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterToSoreFoot View Post
    Ugh. What a depressing example of what happens when people humanize their horses/make their life-stories the stuff of myth. A very ungrounded description of the horse, with lots of holes in logic/what happened.
    And how I love them for grounding me, every solid 1,2,1,2 trot beat.

Recognizing that environment can effect expression of genetic code is NOT the same as someone waving their hand over a horse and saying its DNA is all better AFAIK it also doesn't make more room for the horses spinal cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Clean Only View Post
    Recognizing that environment can effect expression of genetic code is NOT the same as someone waving their hand over a horse and saying its DNA is all better...
    Almost choked on my tea.

I just wanted to update this thread. Oliver is doing extremely well. I have owned him since this spring. We have had not one single problem with him. I am not sure what was going on with him before, but I have not seen ANY of the awful things that I was prepared for. I am not sure how he was ever diagnosed as a Wobbler. He has been vet checked sound and healthy. The internet is FULL of stories about this poor horse. He is NOTHING like any of those stories. Feel free to check him out at http://hiddenhorsehaven.com/gallery2...2_itemId=26123.

Also, he is NOT 18hh. He stands 17.2hh measured with a stick with a level on the cement.

Hope that some people at least know the real story on this nice boy.