The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ammy buys OTTB and lives to tell about it!

I had to de-lurk after reading the RRTC thread. So I'm an ammy. I work 9-5, I have non-horse responsibilities, I haven't actually competed in a recognized show, trial, etc. in over a decade, and I wanted to share my recent OTTB story.

In August, my horse was on stall rest due to a pasture injury (she has since fully recovered) and in a moment of “ARGH! I don’t have anything to ride” frustration w/ the help a few COTH enablers (thank you, jenarby and racing forum!), I drove to the track and brought home her half sister for $600.

This is River when she arrived.

As most ammies know too well, sometimes we just don’t get enough time to ride! Between winter weather, minor surgery, and life’s responsibilities, River hasn’t had much saddle time. I don’t get to the barn more than 4-5 times a week even under the best circumstances. But like her sister (also OTT), she is the same horse whether ridden 2 days or 2 months ago. This weekend w/ winds gusting to 50 mph, I loaded her up for the first time since November, left her on the trailer while I had a lesson on my other horse, and then hopped on River. As expected, she was a total rock star! I’ve NEVER had this girl buck, rear, spook, or bolt and she just tries so hard. LOVE her!

Here’s River getting tacked up.

I don't want to give the wrong impression... I do have riding experience and TBs were still the breed to own when I was a kid. But up to 3 years ago, I hadn't ridden for a decade and wasn't sure if I'd ever get back to it.

I LOVED following the RRTC! I listened and learned and recommended it to all my horsie friends. Kudos to the Pittmans and everyone who helped make it happen and I hope that there will be future editions!

LIKE!

Gorgeous mare and congrats on your "new" girl!

a huge "atta girl!" from another ammie who doesn't get to ride much...I'm still horseless, but I'm betting my first one will be an OTTB, too!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

I like her, too! Congrats on your new OTTB!

Just gorgeous!!!

I don't believe you. She's an OTTB, a mare, and a chestnut !

Loved the thread title.
    Congrats on your new horse!
    I'm an amateur who bought a 2 year old OTTB a couple years back. Everyone thought I was crazy, my trainer almost disowned me, and he turned out to be the best purchase I ever made.

She's beautiful. Is she by River Keen?

See, this is where we need a COTH "Like" button! Gorgeous horse - good luck with her!!
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

...Five Star Like!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your girl! I have a very similar story after my Appendix retired from eventing last year. Watch for my guy's helmet cam on eventing nation soon - with all the OTTB press, I wanted to show that you don't have to be a pro!

I love to be proved wrong...I would have said don't ever do that...but it is great when it works out. She is lovely...what is her
    pedigree. PatO

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post

Every message like this warms my heart. I think about the horses that fell through the cracks and didn't make it, then hear these stories, and you have to have hope that going forward EVERY horse off the track will get good homes like this.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Thanks, everyone! She has turned out to have just as sensible as her sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I was secretly hoping for a chestnut mare... not sure what that says about me! Color and gender weren't a priority, but it was definitely icing on the cake!

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    She's beautiful. Is she by River Keen?
    What a nice stallion! He looks like another one to look for for ammy friendly temperaments that like to jump!

River and her sister are by Running Stag (posted her pedigree/JC name below). River is her barn name... which she got stuck w/ because for her first month here, she would not cross the creek that runs through her field, even when the rest of the herd did. She now crosses water like a champ. Plus my consolation prize when my bay mare hurt herself was that I got to catch up on the current season of Doctor Who, so the character's name was in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Congrats on your girl! I have a very similar story after my Appendix retired from eventing last year. Watch for my guy's helmet cam on eventing nation soon - with all the OTTB press, I wanted to show that you don't have to be a pro!
    I LOVE that! As much as I enjoy watching the pro rides, I love to see what my fellow ammies are up to! Hooray helmet cam!

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    I love to be proved wrong...I would have said don't ever do that...but it is great when it works out. She is lovely...what is her
    pedigree. PatO
    I got help and advice from people w/ experience and I think I went in w/ realistic expectations, both of which helped. But the nice thing is that there are plenty of organizations and individuals who can do some of the heavy lifting ahead of time. That's how I got George (my other mare) 2-1/2 years ago and I think that was the right way to go for my first re-rider horse.

Anyway, this is River's pedigree.

I love hearing stories like this ^^^

I'm also an ammy with an OTTB who lived to tell about it! PLUS... I had absolutely no experience with OTTB's when he came to me and I hadn't ridden in close to 20 years.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by EasternMkt View Post
    I was secretly hoping for a chestnut mare... not sure what that says about me! Color and gender weren't a priority, but it was definitely icing on the cake!

I see she has Caro in her bloodline. So does my OTTB chestnut mare
    Last edited by TemJeito; Feb. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM.