The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What do you wear to compete in?

Just as the title says. I've done a few rides before (years ago) but they were always in warmer weather. Now that I have sent my entries in for the Foxcatcher in April- I am sure it will be frigid and pour rain that day, so I am especially looking for what you wear for inclement weather.
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Feb. 27, 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: terrible grammar
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I'm in NC and at this time of year it can vary from the 30s to the 70s. I love the Irideon WindPro 3-Season Breeches (pull ons); the surface is treated to "shed" rain, too (although I'm sure not a full deluge). They are fleecy on the inside but aren't too hot if it ends up in the 60s by the end of the ride. Very comfy. Expensive yes but you might be able to find them on sale at this time of year. You can find them on the Toklat website and I'm sure some other sites, too.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Freezing weather- I wear my saddle bums, thick under armor socks, and my winter ariat tall winter riding boots. Warm and functional(I hate putting on/taking off half chaps when my hands are not cooperating). On top I will generally wear an airy shirt, something made for running, with a few zip ups on top. I'll put on my carhart top and bottoms if I am really cold!
    Rainy- my boots are water proof, I have water proof pants, and a jacket that will cover my helmet.
    If hot- I will wear a pair of stretchy pants, yoga pants, or something of a similar material which will not hold heat. I wear tennis shoes or paddock boots with half chaps, depending on how much movement on foot I will be doing.
    We should have a coth identifier at Foxcatcher!

You might want to consider a lightweight outback-type coat that you can also drape over your horse.Don't forget a rump rug for your buddy!I've seen rides lost because a horse is shivering and miserable.